Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fred Taylor fires back at Gil Brandt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I read where Brandt put together a list of the all-time top 20 RB's and Elliot made his list over Fred Taylor.

Taylor called him out on Twitter by saying their are atleast 15 guys on his list that he was better than. In the comments people agree with Freddy T. 

Brandt's list is garbage. Zeke has only played 1 year. Smh..
(07-12-2017, 12:00 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I read where Brandt put together a list of the all-time top 20 RB's and Elliot made his list over Fred Taylor.

Taylor called him out on Twitter by saying their are atleast 15 guys on his list that he was better than. In the comments people agree with Freddy T. 

Brandt's list is garbage. Zeke has only played 1 year. Smh..

There's a amnesia factor when it comes to Jaguars players.  I guess understandable in a way since it's a small market with little recent success but for a guy who's number 17 all time statistically and probably could have been higher, you figure he'd get a *little* play.
So one year puts people on "All-Time" lists now? Well then.
Put Elliott on the list automatically means you shouldn't read anything that guy ever puts out. It's a list to appease the big markets and get clicks.
Fred is a borderline top-10 RB all-time. He might be like 12th, but he's close. He's EASILY top 20.
Just think about this......Fred Taylor missed 55 career games and still ranks above some marquee names on the all time rushing list.

Let me repeat that....he missed 55 games!
When people here in Texas ask me how I became I Jaguars fan, I reply with Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith. They are like, "yeah they were pretty damn good". People outside of Jacksonville are aware of that team that has them two.
Missing 55 games is not a plus. At best, it's a "let me explain".
Fred ran for so much more yards than his stats even show because he was often running around defenders. If you look at his stats, he's much better than his stats. So with that in mind, he at least gets his stats. I mean, FT is 17th all-time in stats alone, so there's no way he's not top 20. Gil can't even defend himself here. He must have just had a total brain fart and overlooked Fred competely. It truly is insane the lack of respect Jaguars players get from the media. I kind of get it now because we've been a losing team since mid-2008, but back then we were winning. 
Top 20 all time after 1yr lol!
Let's go to the list and consider the ranking

Gil Brandt's top 27 RBs...

1. Jim Brown - totally agree
  2. Walter Peyton - totally agree
  3. OJ Simpson - ok, but not over Barry
  4. Gale Sayers - great RB, but you have top play more than that for top five. Sayers is definitely top 10 tho.
  5. LaDanian Tomlinson - shocking this high, and no way over Barry. Fred Taylor was always in LT's shadow. Granted LT consistently edged out Fred, but much of that was he added so much with his pass catching. But Fred wasn't that far behind LT. LT in the top 5 is just wrong.
  6. Eric Dickerson - great spot for Dickerson, but still not better than Barry
  7. Earl Campbell - ditto
  8. Barry Sanders - an utter disgrace at #8... he should be #3 and EASILY top 5.
  9. Tony Dorsett - I've heard it before that he's actually better than Emmitt, but do either truly belong in the top 10? I get that Emmit has the rushing title and 8 pro bowls, but that was sheer longevity. He was never a better runner than FT.
  10. Emmitt Smith - His rushing title gives him the 10th spot, and that's hard to argue. I'd put him over Dorsett.
  11. Marshall Faulk - not a bad spot, but I'd probably put him at #9 just ahead of Emmitt.
  12. Curtis Martin - flat out Fred was a better RB than Martin. At this point, I think Gil is counting Pro Bowls. Fred would have had more than his one if he played in a different era, but this is where he's being edged out. Martin had 5 Pro Bowls, but that's it over FT.
  13. Adrian Peterson - his yards per game stat makes for an argument that he should be top five... I'd have him top 10 somehow.
  14. Bo Jackson - 1 Pro Bowl? Less than 3000 yards? I get that he was one of the best, but I got FT easy over Bo. Bo isn't even in the HOF.
  15. John Riggins - 1 Pro Bowl... power runner, but that was it... Fred was straight up better and edges him out in rushing yards
  16. John Henry Johnson - Who? Bounced around four teams. Less than 7000 yards. 4 Pro Bowls, but come on.
  17. Thurmon Thomas - 5 Pro Bowls, and edges out Fred in yards, but Fred was straight up better.
  18. Jerome Bettis - agreed that he's top 20, but not over Fred despite six Pro Bowls. We know Fred was better.
  19. Terrell Davis - 3 Pro Bowls, but less than 8000 yards. Again... come on Gil.
  20. Larry Csonka - great power runner, but again that was it. Just over 8000 yards, but 5 Pro Bowls.
  21. Floyd Little - 3 Pro Bowls, but ran for just over 6000 yards.
  22. Marcus Allen - Marcus was closing in on 13,000 yards... should easily be top 20.
  23. Joe Perry - played 14 seasons but less than 9000 yards to show for it. 3 Pro Bowls and in the HOF like virtually all of these RBs (Adrian Peterson and Bo Jackson are the only two so far to miss the HOF)
  24. Marion Motley - are you kidding me? no Pro Bowls... less than 5000 yards ... get outta here Gil.
  25. Jim Taylor - 5 Pro Bowls, and fun to watch old game clips, but less than 9000 yards.
  26. Ezekiel Elliott - Gil being a Cowboys homer here... why not just stop at 25?
  27. Ollie Matson - 6 Pro Bowls, just under 13000 yards... why is he not top 20?
I can see how the Pro Bowls and HOF standings have a couple more players over Fred than I was thinking, but Fred Taylor by all rights should be top 15, and he most definitely should be in the HOF.
(07-12-2017, 06:02 PM)TealHammer Wrote: [ -> ]Missing 55 games is not a plus. At best, it's a "let me explain".

I think the point is "imagine where he'd rank in totals if he didn't miss the equivalent of 3.5 seasons"
Let us not forget that he ranks behind only Jim brown and Barry Sanders in ypc out of the top 20 all time rushers.
(07-12-2017, 09:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's go to the list and consider the ranking

4. Gale Sayers - great RB, but you have top play more than that for top five. Sayers is definitely top 10 tho.
  5. LaDanian Tomlinson - shocking this high, and no way over Barry. Fred Taylor was always in LT's shadow. Granted LT consistently edged out Fred, but much of that was he added so much with his pass catching. But Fred wasn't that far behind LT. LT in the top 5 is just wrong.
  7. Earl Campbell - ditto
  9. Tony Dorsett - I've heard it before that he's actually better than Emmitt, but do either truly belong in the top 10? I get that Emmit has the rushing title and 8 pro bowls, but that was sheer longevity. He was never a better runner than FT.
  10. Emmitt Smith - His rushing title gives him the 10th spot, and that's hard to argue. I'd put him over Dorsett.
  11. Marshall Faulk - not a bad spot, but I'd probably put him at #9 just ahead of Emmitt.
  12. Curtis Martin - flat out Fred was a better RB than Martin. At this point, I think Gil is counting Pro Bowls. Fred would have had more than his one if he played in a different era, but this is where he's being edged out. Martin had 5 Pro Bowls, but that's it over FT.
  13. Adrian Peterson - his yards per game stat makes for an argument that he should be top five... I'd have him top 10 somehow.
  14. Bo Jackson - 1 Pro Bowl? Less than 3000 yards? I get that he was one of the best, but I got FT easy over Bo. Bo isn't even in the HOF.
  15. John Riggins - 1 Pro Bowl... power runner, but that was it... Fred was straight up better and edges him out in rushing yards
  16. John Henry Johnson - Who? Bounced around four teams. Less than 7000 yards. 4 Pro Bowls, but come on.
  17. Thurmon Thomas - 5 Pro Bowls, and edges out Fred in yards, but Fred was straight up better.
  18. Jerome Bettis - agreed that he's top 20, but not over Fred despite six Pro Bowls. We know Fred was better.
  19. Terrell Davis - 3 Pro Bowls, but less than 8000 yards. Again... come on Gil.
  20. Larry Csonka - great power runner, but again that was it. Just over 8000 yards, but 5 Pro Bowls.
  22. Marcus Allen - Marcus was closing in on 13,000 yards... should easily be top 20.
  23. Joe Perry - played 14 seasons but less than 9000 yards to show for it. 3 Pro Bowls and in the HOF like virtually all of these RBs (Adrian Peterson and Bo Jackson are the only two so far to miss the HOF)
  24. Marion Motley - are you kidding me? no Pro Bowls... less than 5000 yards ... get outta here Gil.
  25. Jim Taylor - 5 Pro Bowls, and fun to watch old game clips, but less than 9000 yards.
  26. Ezekiel Elliott - Gil being a Cowboys homer here... why not just stop at 25?
I can see how the Pro Bowls and HOF standings have a couple more players over Fred than I was thinking, but Fred Taylor by all rights should be top 15, and he most definitely should be in the HOF.
I have to agree with Fred, no way he shouldn't be in the top 15 of that list. Ridiculous. Freddy T will probably not get in the HOF due to market size, but hes an all timer. Especially with his YPC when compared to the others, they just don't for the most part. Lot of good backs in the past but no way is Fred lower than 20, and to not have him on the list at all with some of the just jokes listed is inexcusable. Gil just trying to lose any credibility he had at all.

I think the only way he can save face is to admit he forgot about Fred and add him in. Frank Gore is also another guy who is really racking up the miles at a high YPC as well. Gets ignored alot, but he has had like 8 or 9 1k seasons. Really impressive.
(07-13-2017, 02:43 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2017, 09:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's go to the list and consider the ranking

7. Earl Campbell - ditto
I have to agree with Fred, no way he shouldn't be in the top 15 of that list. Ridiculous. Freddy T will probably not get in the HOF due to market size, but hes an all timer. Especially with his YPC when compared to the others, they just don't for the most part. Lot of good backs in the past but no way is Fred lower than 20, and to not have him on the list at all with some of the just jokes listed is inexcusable. Gil just trying to lose any credibility he had at all.

I think the only way he can save face is to admit he forgot about Fred and add him in. Frank Gore is also another guy who is really racking up the miles at a high YPC as well. Gets ignored alot, but he has had like 8 or 9 1k seasons. Really impressive.

Market size is such a bs reason for a player to be left out of the HOF. I don't even think the real definition of market size is applicable here; the voters just use the term market size as an excuse against a young, relatively (still!) unknown team. It's crap!

Now, according to this old reddit article that popped up after a google search, the Jaguars have a larger market size than around a third of the league. (It's not updated, but I gotta run).

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/wt...rket_size/

Let's look at the definition of ''market size''

"The number of individuals in a certain market who are potential buyers and/or sellers of a product or service. Companies are interested in knowing the market size before launching a new product or service in an area."

Fred should get in or not get in because of his talents, his stats, and his legacy he left on the game. What happens if Khan turns this thing into a powerhouse and we double our ''market size''? Then will Fred get more talk, like he deserves? 

The market size thing really gets me upset when it's concerning Fred Taylor. The guy was a difference maker, and arguably a game changer. 
Bo Jackson is perhaps the most overrated NFL football player of all time.
2782 yards rushing and 352 yards receiving

Bo Jackson is perhaps the msot overrated MLB player of all time
2398 at bats - 598 hits 841 strike outs .250 batting average and a .309 ob base percentage.
141 HRs was a positive but c'mon man striking out 33% of the time is crazy bad.
(07-13-2017, 09:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Bo Jackson is perhaps the most overrated NFL football player of all time.

2398 at bats -  598 hits  841 strike outs  .250 batting average and a .309 ob base percentage.

I wouldn't say he's overrated, just that he didn't play enough to be in a conversation about the greatest ever. However, his per carry average was insane and he had Fred Taylor like breakaway ability.
(07-13-2017, 10:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2017, 09:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Bo Jackson is perhaps the most overrated NFL football player of all time.

2398 at bats -  598 hits  841 strike outs  .250 batting average and a .309 ob base percentage.

I wouldn't say he's overrated, just that he didn't play enough to be in a conversation about the greatest ever. However, his per carry average was insane and he had Fred Taylor like breakaway ability.

Bo Jackson - 2,782 yards with a 5.4 yards per carry -  18 TDs

Jamal Charles - 7,260 yards with a 5.5 yards per carry - 63 TDs

Based on the hype Bo gets, I'll stand by my post about Bo being the most overrated NFL football player of all time.
(07-13-2017, 11:40 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2017, 10:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't say he's overrated, just that he didn't play enough to be in a conversation about the greatest ever. However, his per carry average was insane and he had Fred Taylor like breakaway ability.

Bo Jackson - 2,782 yards with a 5.4 yards per carry -  18 TDs

Jamal Charles - 7,260 yards with a 5.5 yards per carry - 63 TDs

Based on the hype Bo gets, I'll stand by my post about Bo being the most overrated NFL football player of all time.

I'm not sure what point you're making by showing Jamaal Charles' stats. Jamaal Charles was a great breakaway runner too. Of course Bo Jackson was taller and larger by about thirty pounds. Since Bo Jackson only played part time we'll never know what he could have done with a full workload, but in his time in the league he showed truly rare talent.
Pretty odd list. Barry Sanders not in the top 3 is just straight up disrespect. Personally I think AP belongs in the top 5. You can make an argument Shaun Alexander belongs on this list. Back in his prime he was absolutely unstoppable. Seahawks derailed his career by having 5 straight season with 300 carries (one was 295), and he had 2 seasons with 353 and 370 carries in which he averaged 4.8 and 5.1 ypc which is insane when you really think about it. CLEARLY Fred belongs as well, thats just disrespect. If you are going to have Emmitt up there then you got to have Frank Gore.
Pages: 1 2 3