Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Lions Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Before the season, Khan and Caldwell said a winning season constitutes a "reasonable expectation." With today's loss, a winning season went from reasonable to officially impossible.  The script was familiar.  My thoughts:

1.  While Bortles gets kudos for toughing it out despite an obvious injury to his shoulder, he still remains the biggst mystery and disappointment on this team-quite possibly in team history.  I don't recall ever seeing a regression quite this bad-certainly for any Jaguars' QB.  I don't know if he has been playing with some undisclosed injury all season, he blew off coaching, the team isnt coaching him, properly or what, but I don't think any Jaguars fan watching him now, vs. when he arrived as a rookie and watching him last year can still believe they are watching the same guy.  The overwhelming majority of his completions were dumpoffs, and him throwing downfield was rare and cringe inducing, including yet another pick six, the 10th of his career.  I wish Bortles-the real Bortles-could return to us.  Granted I haven't spoken to a single player in that locker room, but I can't imagine any of them honestly having any confidence in Bortles at this stage. 

2.  Last week, Senderrick Marks lambasted the coaching staff for his lack of playing time.  Today, Marks had a pretty good game.  He had the deflected extra point, he hustled downfield to make a tackle and flashed another time.  But in typical #becausejaguars fashion, he jumped offsides in the last possession of the game, allowing Detroit to run out the clock.  He knows better than that, and his penalty ruined what otherwise might have been a redemptive game.

3.  Marqise Lee has received a lot of criticism from fans, media and coaches during his time here.  But thus far this year, in a huge surprise, he has been the Jaguars' most consistent WR this year.  His TD catch was a thing of beauty.  It's too bad Bortles and the rest of the passing game has disappeared.

4.  Chris Ivory was another guy who would have had a good game, but for a fumble on a solid tackle by the Lions' DB.  Jacksonville was leading 3-0 at the time and was in Lions' territory.  Had he not fumbled, who knows how this game plays out.  Maybe the Jaguars go up 10-0.  This was the kind of performance I was hoping to see out of him at the beginning of the year, but his fumble today and the one against Kansas City killed this team.

5.  To be honest, I was kinda surprised to see Telvin Smith out there today following the murder of his brother.  Overall he seemed to play a good game, but I am left to wonder what his responsibilities were on that 62 yard pass to Eric Ebron late in the game. I don't know if he had underneath responsibility, or if he was supposed to cover Ebron all the way.

6.  For the life of me, I don't know why or how special teams' coach Mallory has avoided responsibility for his unit's poor play throughout his tenure here when both the offensive and defensive coordinators have seen change.  In each of Bradley's years here, the special teams have had long stretches of disastrous play that have killed this team.  This year, we've seen muffs/fumbles of punts for 3-4 straight weeks, long punt returns the last two weeks-this time for a TD, and to top things off, the first miss of an extra point by Myers.

7.  Rookie watch:

A.  Jalen Ramsey-had what I thought was another good game.  He had what most people saw as a strip of Boldin on the first series of the game negated by a ref's whistle.  His look of frustration on the sidelines late endeared him to a lot of fans here, because it shows he cares and is not quitting.  He represents one of the few bright spots on this team.

B.  Myles Jack-saw him on special teams and a few defensive snaps.  I still don't understand why he isn't getting more playing time.

C.  Yannnick Ngakoue-beat the Lions' rookie LT on several plays, including a half sack he shared with Fowler.  It's been a long time since we've heard from him.

D.  Sheldon Day-Did not see much of him.

E.  Brandon Allen-DNP

8.  Nice to have a Dante Fowler sighting without any mind numbingly stupid penalties.

9.  Abry Jones played a very good game.  In fact, to me, his game today was more impactful than any game Roy Miller played that I can recall.

10.  Man, has Parnell become a liability for us.

11.  Man, has Julius Thomas also become a non factor.

12.  This was the worst game, injury wise, this team has had in a while.

Bottom line:  I'm sick of this losing.  Even when the team plays relatively "well," this team manages to shoot itself in the foot enough to lose.  There were opportunities for this team to take control of this game, but gave up scores in all three phases of the game.  This team is too talented to lose this consistently.  I understand that season tickets don't come with a guarantee of wins or winning seasons.  But for all intents and purposes, losing games and losing seasons are virtual guarantees for Jaguars fans.  It shouldn't have to be this way.

Holy novel of test Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two Detroit scores were not the fault of the defense.........the pick six and the punt return. That's 13 or 14 points ( I can't remember if the missed extra point was after one of these scores ). So the defense gave up 12 or 13 points, enough to produce a win in most NFL games.

Some of Bortle's passes were practically end over end ducks, incredible to see from an NFL QB.

Special teams contribute more to losses than victories ( you left out the fair catch on the one yard line a while back ).

Coaching is deplorable, and I see no improvement on the horizon.

The fan base is running for the exits, and it will be tough to get them back.

My impressions.
I get the impression we need to clear house. Dave, Gus, and Bortles have to go
Only bright spot was the defense. Particularly the pass defense. We need to add some power to the DL and get a new QB with OL to start competing again, and of course a new coach. 

Bullseye - You spent too much on this thread and this 2-8 team.

Let me help you - We suck.

Done.
Quote:I get the impression we need to clear house. Dave, Gus, and Bortles have to go

They will be replaced soon, and in four to five years those guys will be replaced. So really I'm looking forward to the guys who will be hired eight years from now. Really interested to see who we get. Cant wait.
Nice write up.  

This team does nothing to pick up the other guy.  

There were some nice plays.  Blake is injured no doubt. Marks was very unprofessional in a bone headed move.  Not that it would of matters anyway.  Blake still wont go 80 yards with the way he is throwing and gets worse every week.  Our d did a great job and the use of the running back and te kinda was nice.  

But once again the martial arts Lewis was once again injured.  For the life of me never understood why kept all these years. And Hurns is milking his contract. You would think ya worked hard to get paid and then try harder.  Nope. Not in Hurns eyes.  

Quote:They will be replaced soon, and in four to five years those guys will be replaced. So really I'm looking forward to the guys who will be hired eight years from now. Really interested to see who we get. Cant wait.

Bad thing is the next HC will have a short leash. This fan base isn't waiting another 4 years
Quote:And Hurns is milking his contract. You would think ya worked hard to get paid and then try harder.  Nope. Not in Hurns eyes.

I'm not seeing this.
Quote:I'm not seeing this.
I guess the numerous throws that while were not perfect spirals. Were in fact catch able he dropped.  A figment of my imagination?  The drop last week at the 5 yard line?  That could of been a game changer?  I love the Jags and have high hopes for him.  But you don't get paid and then develop key moments butterfingers. 
Bullseye,  thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Regarding the Jaguars,  I give the team credit with how hard they played.   Clearly,  the players were inspired by the tragic situation Telvin Smith is dealing with.   My best to him and his family.   Props to Paul Posluszny for attending the funeral of Telvin Smith's brother.  Great friend and teammate!

Even though Blake Bortles didn't play at a level the Jags need him to,   he displayed guts by playing hurt.   His decline this season goes well beyond the pounding he took today.  But I regained respect for him as a competitor.    The Jags overall played like they didn't use their injuries in the game as an excuse.  

I thought A.J. Cann had more problems than any of the Jaguars Offensive Lineman today.   Now that this game is over,  I'm certainly pulling for him to turn it around as his character is first rate, IMO.     Chris Reed,  who I know very little about,  made a very good block in space on a screen pass to Chris Ivory. 

The Lions have had huge problems covering opponent TEs this season.   Even prior to that.   Keeping Julius Thomas in check certainly was something that made things more difficult for the Jaguars to overcome.  

Abry Jones,  along with Marqise Lee looked like they had the best performances for the Jaguars today.   Jones'  pass deflection could have been a huge play.   In terms of run Defending DT's/ NT's against the Lions this season,   Jones'  performance might have been the best through 10 games. 

It looked to me that Telvin Smith was the player that probably got out of position on Eric Ebron's 61 yard completion.  But without knowing the coverage responsibilities,  this is only a guess.   The battle between Theo Riddick and Telvin Smith in pass coverage was probably the best matchup in the entire game when they faced each other.   Both are Pro Bowl caliber players in that facet of play.    I truly believe that Riddick takes a back seat to no RB currently in the NFL as a receiver.  
Blaming Hurns or any receiver is not very smart with a struggling QB, who knows where this team could be if BB5 was playing better. Once again they keep finding ways to lose and not win.

Quote:I guess the numerous throws that while were not perfect spirals. Were in fact catch able he dropped.  A figment of my imagination?  The drop last week at the 5 yard line?  That could of been a game changer?  I love the Jags and have high hopes for him.  But you don't get paid and then develop key moments butterfingers. 

And the game clinching touchdown earlier this season, as well as several catches after which he took big hits, also figments of my imagination? Dropped passes, or not, it's not fair to doubt Hurns' effort.
Quote:Bad thing is the next HC will have a short leash. This fan base isn't waiting another 4 years

And any new coach should have a shorter leash than Gus has gotten. Gus should have been fired after last season regardless of what anyone thought if the talent he had in the team in years one and two. It was clear to those of us capable of impartial analysis that he wasn't a positive difference maker as a head coach, and if a guy is at best a non difference maker them the team should move on sooner than later to find someone that is. Find the next Harbaugh, Coughlin, Belichick, or Tomlinson. Don't think it's good enough to have a coach that just occupies the office!
what would our record be with any other coach in the NFL? 

They say careers got to cleveland to die but I think they come to jacksonville now. We have a way of coaching talent out of players.

I was a fan of Gus but he has to go his schemes don't work he obviously can not coach talent and misuses them.

And like it was said how in the hell does the special teams coach still have a job?

So many stupid mistakes and penalties and that comes down to coaching and lack of discipline. 

I did love the stat at the beginning of the game black was 6 for 6 with no pass traveling more than 2 yards thru the air. 

Quote:I'm not seeing this.

Agreed.  The last thing I see from Hurns is a guy mailing it in. 

Quote:And the game clinching touchdown earlier this season, as well as several catches after which he took big hits, also figments of my imagination? Dropped passes, or not, it's not fair to doubt Hurns' effort.

Bingo.

Quote:And any new coach should have a shorter leash than Gus has gotten. Gus should have been fired after last season regardless of what anyone thought if the talent he had in the team in years one and two. It was clear to those of us capable of impartial analysis that he wasn't a positive difference maker as a head coach, and if a guy is at best a non difference maker them the team should move on sooner than later to find someone that is. Find the next Harbaugh, Coughlin, Belichick, or Tomlinson. Don't think it's good enough to have a coach that just occupies the office!

Agreed.  But, the  next head coach won't be brought in to do a complete overhaul of the roster and get it back up to speed.  The talent is there on this roster.  It's either being misused, or it's simply not being coached up enough.  But, the talent is there.  So, whoever winds up taking over next year should have a much shorter leash, which is one reason why I think the expectation here is to see the team hiring a head coach who has some pedigree in the NFL already, and not as a coordinator.  I think Khan will expect his GM to find a guy with past head coaching experience who can step in and turn this around quickly.  And no, that doesn't include anyone working for a network currently, IMO. 
Right, the next coach should be fairly judged after two seasons, just like it would have been completely fair to judge Gus after year three. I would completely understand the team disregarding Gus year one because of talent, but it shouldn't be so hard to find improvements brought about by coaching after two years with decent talent.

The next coach should get two years to show improvement, that doesn't mean playoffs or bust, but if he's 5-11 in year two that's a good indication he doesn't have a good idea what he's doing with the team's talent.
This really stings
Pages: 1 2