Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Florida Times Union - Jaguars Position Preview: Questions at O-Line entering camp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jaguars Position Preview: Questions at O-Line entering camp

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2...ering-camp

To hear Jaguars offensive line coach Pat Flaherty tell it, his group’s competition has yet to begin.
“Every place I’ve been, you’re going to find out in camp [who will start] because
Albert, Linder, and Robinson will hold our oline down. Fournette will help out alot too.
I hope Albert hasn't turned into an aging player with rapidly declining skills.
(07-24-2017, 05:23 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]I hope Albert hasn't turned into an aging player with rapidly declining skills.

Given his attempt at a holdout I have to think he's still very confident in his ability to play well. 
Same story different year. When you don't know who your best 5 are or where they should be playing going into training camp you've got major problems. How many teams do you think don't know who their best 5 OL are and what position they should be playing...not many. Fournette is going to get stuffed and Bortles is going to get sacked 35+ times again.
(07-24-2017, 06:58 PM)Rooster Wrote: [ -> ]Same story different year.  When you don't know who your best 5 are or where they should be playing going into training camp you've got major problems.  How many teams do you think don't know who their best 5 OL are and what position they should be playing...not many.  Fournette is going to get stuffed and Bortles is going to get sacked 35+ times again.

It's not quite that dark. 

You have to consider that there's a universally lauded first round pick in the mix of question marks. (though we got him in the second)  While we don't know where he'll fit in just yet, there's a pretty good chance he makes a positive contribution. 

Add in Branden Albert and there's another glimmer of optimism to consider.   

If the majority of the top 6 or 7 guys on the O-Line depth chart stay healthy, I think there's reason to expect moderate improvement from this O-Line. 

I also think there are probably a dozen or more teams that don't have their starting five figured out at this point. Plenty of teams have one or two O-Line spots that depend on the outcome of camp battles before starters are named.
(07-24-2017, 06:45 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2017, 05:23 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]I hope Albert hasn't turned into an aging player with rapidly declining skills.

Given his attempt at a holdout I have to think he's still very confident in his ability to play well. 

MOJO was confident too but ended up sucking
(07-24-2017, 06:45 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]

Interesting point of view. I, personally, believe rather the opposite. Guys hold out toward the end when they know they don't have it in them to earn their next big contract. I'm pretty sure MJD knew he couldn't do another thousand plus yard season and that's why he figured it was time to try to bluff his way to one last payday.

I'm not particularly confident in Albert given that he wanted more money before the team even got to see him on the practice field.
Albert is still a concern for me. He is a short term solution. It's possible he could lose his job to Robinson during training camp. Which may be a good thing. I am not a fan of Parnell. Injury or no injury he just doesn't make me feel comfortable at all. If Robinson wins the left tackle job I hope Albert moves to right tackle.

I would rather see Parnell kicked inside to push Omameh, Watford and Cann this summer for a job there instead. I think when you factor in that we're bringing the full back position back into the offense and the fact that they traded Julius Thomas away is a good indication that they'll be implementing a very, very heavy run scheme this year on offense.

It's the only real way to combat Bortles shortcomings when it comes to his decision making. We can't depend on him to drop back and throw it 30 or more times a game. But when you can run it effectively, and you can force the defense to show it's hand a bit more because now they have to absolutely respect the running game. It obviously opens up the passing lanes and shortens the field a bit for Bortles.

I know none of us want to hear that in year four with this guy. But that's the reality of it.
(07-24-2017, 09:32 PM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2017, 06:45 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Given his attempt at a holdout I have to think he's still very confident in his ability to play well. 

MOJO was confident too but ended up sucking

It seemed like Mojo basically got punked by the organization, and that led to his undoing. This situation is way different. Mojo had good reason to hold out, but the team refused to budge leading to a situation where we didn't even have a capable RB. Things were not handled well back then. If the team just gave him a token of gratitude, Mojo might have come back prepared to have a great season, but instead, he couldn't fight all the pitchforks being stuck in him by the organization.

(07-25-2017, 08:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Albert is still a concern for me. He is a short term solution. It's possible he could lose his job to Robinson during training camp. Which may be a good thing. I am not a fan of Parnell. Injury or no injury he just doesn't make me feel comfortable at all. If Robinson wins the left tackle job I hope Albert moves to right tackle.

I would rather see Parnell kicked inside to push Omameh, Watford and Cann this summer for a job there instead. I think when you factor in that we're bringing the full back position back into the offense and the fact that they traded Julius Thomas away is a good indication that they'll be implementing a very, very heavy run scheme this year on offense.

It's the only real way to combat Bortles shortcomings when it comes to his decision making. We can't depend on him to drop back and throw it 30 or more times a game. But when you can run it effectively, and you can force the defense to show it's hand a bit more because now they have to absolutely respect the running game. It obviously opens up the passing lanes and shortens the field a bit for Bortles.

I know none of us want to hear that in year four with this guy. But that's the reality of it.

I'm with out regarding the thought that Robinson still may challenge Parnell at RT despite even Oesher saying that Parnell is practically a lock to start at RT. Parnell struggled much of last year, and he's not even slowing down Campbell per reports from the OTAs. I know they said he's long and fits what they're looking for at RT, but that doesn't make him a lock to start there. 
(07-24-2017, 06:58 PM)Rooster Wrote: [ -> ]Same story different year.  When you don't know who your best 5 are or where they should be playing going into training camp you've got major problems.  How many teams do you think don't know who their best 5 OL are and what position they should be playing...not many.  Fournette is going to get stuffed and Bortles is going to get sacked 35+ times again.

You're just a ray of sunshine!

I think having Albert and Robinson will improve the o-line from the get go.

(07-25-2017, 04:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
I'm with out regarding the thought that Robinson still may challenge Parnell at RT despite even Oesher saying that Parnell is practically a lock to start at RT. Parnell struggled much of last year, and he's not even slowing down Campbell per reports from the OTAs. I know they said he's long and fits what they're looking for at RT, but that doesn't make him a lock to start there. 

Then maybe the O-line looks like Albert Cann Linder Omameh/Shatley Robinson.  At least both tackles are upgrades (we hope).