Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mariota Slim's down to "avoid hits"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.google.com/amp/profootballta...tions/amp/

Pretty sure you're just going to break a little easier now Marcus...
He didn't strike me as the biggest guy to start with.

Not that he was small...but not overly big.

I don't think him being smaller would have helped him avoid Day's hit that ended his season.
(07-26-2017, 06:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't strike me as the biggest guy to start with.

Not that he was small...but not overly big.  

I don't think him being smaller would have helped him avoid Day's hit that ended his season.

Agreed. They apparently wanted him to get bigger. A guy who has yet to make it through a season should probably be trying to make himself more durable
Yeah.... so the slight frame fella gettin a little slimmer.

Says he'll avoid the hits easier...

Mmmk. Can't wait to see the first big hit from a DE that gets through clean and he doesn't have time to even see....

Lucky for him, they don't face a scary DLine for the first few games of the season....
(07-27-2017, 08:45 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah.... so the slight frame fella gettin a little slimmer.

Mmmk. Can't wait to see the first big hit from a DE that gets through clean and he doesn't have time to even see....

Lucky for him, they don't face a scary DLine for the first few games of the season....

I don't know that I would classify our D-Line as "scary,", but I think we match up well against their O-Line.
Bold strategy, Cotton.
(07-27-2017, 09:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-27-2017, 08:45 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah.... so the slight frame fella gettin a little slimmer.

I don't know that I would classify our D-Line as "scary,", but I think we match up well against their O-Line.

Yeah I wouldn't classify ours as another but a ? until proven otherwise...
But Oct 1st they face Watt, Clowney, Mercilus....

I ain't one to wish injury on someone... but the knock on this guy coming out was his slight frame, and he's slimming down against his coaches suggestions...
He's asking for it, imo.

But hey... maybe he'll actually run away from all the hits... we'll see.
His next surgery will go much faster with less tissue to cut through.
I never thought avoiding hits was an issue with him it was taking them.
(07-28-2017, 08:19 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]I never thought avoiding hits was an issue with him it was taking them.

Apparently when he got hurt last season, he and his coach that isn't working for the tacks think he could have gotten away from that hit if he was slimmer and quicker.

Rolleyes
Mariota 4 MVP
Jadeveon Clowney is 50 pounds heavier than Mariota and they basically ran the same 40/20/10 yrd dash times. Good luck to him, but size matters in this game and it's not like he was the biggest guy to begin with.
(07-30-2017, 02:34 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]Jadeveon Clowney is 50 pounds heavier than Mariota and they basically ran the same 40/20/10 yrd dash times.  Good luck to him, but size matters in this game and it's not like he was the biggest guy to begin with.

Ugh...don't remind me.

Not that I fear for Mariota.  I don't. 

But we've got you guys week one.
The dude is not very big to begin with. This weight loss logic seems skewed. There may be other issues at hand if you are depending on your "slight" QB to run versus making plays from the pocket. Not going to be a good look when going against a defense that has more speed than your offense!
(07-31-2017, 10:22 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]The dude is not very big to begin with. This weight loss logic seems skewed. There may be other issues at hand if you are depending on your "slight" QB to run versus making plays from the pocket. Not going to be a good look when going against a defense that has more speed than your offense!

A lot of us noted his knees and legs could be a problem coming out of college and so far we've been proven right.

He couldn't even stay healthy behind one of the best offensive lines with a scheme designed to try to protect him from having to be the target of the defense.
(07-31-2017, 10:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2017, 10:22 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]The dude is not very big to begin with. This weight loss logic seems skewed. There may be other issues at hand if you are depending on your "slight" QB to run versus making plays from the pocket. Not going to be a good look when going against a defense that has more speed than your offense!

A lot of us noted his knees and legs could be a problem coming out of college and so far we've been proven right.

He couldn't even stay healthy behind one of the best offensive lines with a scheme designed to try to protect him from having to be the target of the defense.

I thought that was Bridgewater?
(07-31-2017, 04:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2017, 10:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of us noted his knees and legs could be a problem coming out of college and so far we've been proven right.

I thought that was Bridgewater?

Bridgewater had concerns about his everything when it comes to size.

Mariota specifically had knee injuries in college.