Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaws weighs in on Bortles- takes a shot at Jags coaching staff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...ard-enough

I can definitely see this being the case, ironically, Blake (I believe it was his rookie year) said he preferred to be coached "hard". The Jags need to bring in a offensive head coach who coaches"hard" and has a history of developing QB's. The one exception I wouldn't mind is Atl's o-coordinator Kyle Shanahan, he doesn't have head coaching experience at this level but his dad does, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in both Shanhan's, with Kyle serving as the head coach and Mike serving as the o-coordinator. The system the Shanahan's run has made guys like Matt Shaub look like all-pros, I think they could work wonders with the skill-set of Blake Bortles.

Don't confuse coaching hard with coaching angry

Quote:Don't confuse coaching hard with coaching angry

I'm not confusing anything, it's obvious that Blake hasn't been coached "hard" by this staff, I wonder how many other players on this team haven't been coached "hard" by this staff as well, emphasizing the details while holding guys accountable. I don't think a whole lot of that is going on in Jacksonville
It really says something if Blake doesn't have enough internal drive to keep his mechanics above the level of a middle school QB by himself without needing to be pushed hard by the coaches. 

It would be understandable if there were small mechanical flaws developing like a weight transfer or overstriding issue or something, but I'm sorry bad coaching isn't to blame for such an elongated motion. His mom could tell him that was bad and to fix it. It's a Blake issue.

Wow, everybody sees it but Khan. What does that say?
has this staff coached at all?
Jaworski on Bortles from @MikeAndMike "What I'm seeing is absolutely shocking...He's clearly underachieving in Jacksonville." Cites coaching
If ever there was an argument for bringing in Tom Coughlin as a coach; this was it. 

Bortles needs to play better. Dumb decisions and poorly thrown balls. Snap misques and bad body language. He needs someone to smack him in the back of the head?
Quote:Jaworski on Bortles from @MikeAndMike "What I'm seeing is absolutely shocking...He's clearly underachieving in Jacksonville." Cites coaching

I have to agree with this.

The question now is if Bortles is fixable, or is it too late?
That's why I still think Bottles gets another year. Need to see him with another coach
Quote:Wow, everybody sees it but Khan. What does that say?

It says, 'what a moronic statement' if you actually believed what you typed.
Well its not a coincidence that almost every player that has come here has either failed to develop as a rookie or failed to continue to play at a high level as a free agent.  

Quote:It really says something if Blake doesn't have enough internal drive to keep his mechanics above the level of a middle school QB by himself without needing to be pushed hard by the coaches. 

It would be understandable if there were small mechanical flaws developing like a weight transfer or overstriding issue or something, but I'm sorry bad coaching isn't to blame for such an elongated motion. His mom could tell him that was bad and to fix it. It's a Blake issue.

I have to agree with this. We've been told ad naseum mechanics are an offseason endeavor. He can't be coached much in the offseason.

He reportedly came to camp and "couldn't believe" he was throwing like that again. Had he not thrown a football for 3 months?
These guys are pros. If they dont treat their job, like a job, they will struggle. Most guys work really hard on their craft and it shows. Others hit up bars and just shrug their shoulders, give is an "AW SHUCKS" in body language, and collect a paycheck.

I don't believe Bortles is the "aw shucks" kinda guy.  I could be wrong.  He has the heart and has the talent.  HIs mechanics are throwing his whole game off.  I think he needs a coach that will be is boss and not his friend.  I don't know if he is fixable but the team needs a backup plan just incase.

I just don't know if someone's accuracy can improve by the amount necessary in this case
He'll get another shot in 2017 under a new coaching staff. I don't see very much going for us next year in the draft nor the market QB wise to really move on from him cleanly now. 

Who knows if he can be fixed by a new coaching staff or not, but you don't cut bait on the number 3 overall pick in the draft after only 3 seasons.  He comes back next year as the starter, although I would not be surprised to see some competition brought in either.  

It doesn't matter where he was drafted or how long he's been here. We literally just went through this with Leftwich and Gabbert both. Our offensive line has been terrible for a decade now, and that's the biggest issue. Leftwich and Bortles both had it but couldn't fix their terrible mechanics. They're both backups. Gabbert was just a wuss behind said terrible oline.

I'm telling you right now, and I don't paint myself into a corner often, but Bortles is a backup at best in this league and it's painfully obvious to me. You can't fix mechanics that bad.
Pages: 1 2