Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: One reason to stay patient with Bortles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I agree with everyone, I am frustrated at him. And I'm not sure in my mind if he is the answer anymore. But maybe this can give us solace for at least one day though. Just thought it was interesting.

Credit to Daniel Lago at blackandteal.com for the information:

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Ben Roethlisberger
 at 24: first 9 games of the season:

• 17/32, 141 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs

• 18/39, 208 Yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs

• 20/31, 220 Yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs

• 16/19, 238 Yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

• 16/22, 238 Yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

• 25/37, 301 Yards, 1 TDs, 4 INTs

• 38/54, 433 Yards, 1 TDs, 3 INTs

• 17/28, 264 Yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

• 25/44, 272 Yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Total through 9 games

• 167/306, 2315 Yards, 11 TDs, 17 INTs

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Blake Bortles through 9 games

• 228/380, 2421 Yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Ben Roethlisberger:

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">“Any stretch of nine games where you have such poor play is enough of a reason to make a permanent change, either now or in the offseason. The only time you’d tolerate this level of play is if the QB was a rookie or second-year player.”

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">This was Big Ben’s 3rd season. Same as Bortles.

Ben wasn't throwing wounded ducks all over the field.

Numbers lie.

The eyes don't.

I'd love to see the 1st half of games comparison between Bortles and Big Ben

Bortles accumulates his better stats in the 2nd half after the game is already well in hand and the defense goes into prevent mode.

Quote:Ben wasn't throwing wounded ducks all over the field.

Numbers lie.

The eyes don't.

I agree completely, just thought it would be an interesting thing to post.
Hey let's compare Bortles to Tom Brady at age 24

AGE 24

<p style="color:rgb(129,129,129);font-family:'Titillium Web', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Blake Bortles through 9 games
<p style="margin:0px;"> 

<p style="margin:0px;">Tom Brady through 9 games

• 0/0, 0 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints
Who really cares at this point?

Well that certainly made me feel better.

Quote: 

Hey let's compare Bortles to Tom Brady at age 24

AGE 24

<p style="margin:0px;">Tom Brady through 9 games

• 0/0, 0 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints

I lol'd.
*Ducks over trash being thrown at me*

Sorry everyone. Just thought it was something interesting to post. I'm not sure on him either...don't kill the messenger!

Mike1989

Our struggles are not entirely Blake's fault...

Until Hackett's first game as OC the running game was dead. Sure Bortles can air the ball out and make plays, but the lack of a consistent and productive running game is hurting this team because it means Bortles has to put the team on his back and that means turnovers are likely when your quarterback is slinging the ball around. What this team needs to do is look at what the Cowboys are doing well right now with Dak Prescott - let their strong running game dominate and have their quarterback play more within himself. Same could be said about Ryan Tannehill in Miami - they are feeding the ball to Ajayi and having Tannehill play within himself. Could these two QBs air the ball out more? Yes, in fact Tannehill has thrown the ball a lot at times in the past been like Bortles, when they gave up on the running game. The result? Tannehill didn't play as well as he is doing now or at the times when the running game was at its strongest. 

So what this team needs to do is sort out the running game. If ivory and Yeldon are not the answer, find someone that is. Sort out the O-Line if that helps. And commit to a strong running game, that in turn will take the pressure of Bortles having to do everything, and that should help Bortles not turn the ball over as much and play more within himself. That's not to say we make Bortles a game manager, rather move away from this pursuit of having him become our Drew Brees. Let's accept that Bortles is capable of big production, but is also capable of turnovers and mistakes. So let's help Bortles by getting him a dominant running game, balance the offense, and boy would Bortles be better for it because he is capable of making all the throws and the plays needed to be a good starting quarterback in this league - not a great one, but certainly a good one. 

For me, we have our quarterback, but we need to help him and change our approach slightly if we are going to get the most out of him. 

Good stats. Yup, we gonna be good next season.
From NFL.com regarding Mariotta...

"Who leads the league in touchdown passes since Week 5 (17)? It's Mariota, whose first pro season in 2015 was disjointed, due to a spate of injuries caused in large part by poor offensive line play. He's matured quickly in Year 2, and one of the things that has been particularly impressive is what Mariota is doing with his surrounding cast. Brady has Gronk; Ryan has Julio Jones; Mariota has ... Delanie Walker, Rishard Matthews and Tajae Sharpe. (OK, Walker's a pretty darn good tight end, but still.)

Bill Walsh used to say you should have an idea of who a quarterback is -- and what kind of player he's going to be -- by the time he's played 18 games. Mariota, who now has 22 NFL games under his belt, is looking every bit the part of a franchise QB in his sophomore season. He has yet to throw an interception inside the red zone in his career, with 30 touchdowns to zero interceptions in the area of the field where windows are the tightest and decisions have to be made the fastest. That alone should qualify him for this list. And we haven't even talked about the yards he can account for on the ground. For the first time in years, Tennessee's offense is a legitimate pain to game plan for."

Bortles is so far away from being a franchise QB right now it's sad.

Mike1989

Quote:From NFL.com regarding Mariotta...

"Who leads the league in touchdown passes since Week 5 (17)? It's Mariota, whose first pro season in 2015 was disjointed, due to a spate of injuries caused in large part by poor offensive line play. He's matured quickly in Year 2, and one of the things that has been particularly impressive is what Mariota is doing with his surrounding cast. Brady has Gronk; Ryan has Julio Jones; Mariota has ... Delanie Walker, Rishard Matthews and Tajae Sharpe. (OK, Walker's a pretty darn good tight end, but still.)

Bill Walsh used to say you should have an idea of who a quarterback is -- and what kind of player he's going to be -- by the time he's played 18 games. Mariota, who now has 22 NFL games under his belt, is looking every bit the part of a franchise QB in his sophomore season. He has yet to throw an interception inside the red zone in his career, with 30 touchdowns to zero interceptions in the area of the field where windows are the tightest and decisions have to be made the fastest. That alone should qualify him for this list. And we haven't even talked about the yards he can account for on the ground. For the first time in years, Tennessee's offense is a legitimate pain to game plan for."

Bortles is so far away from being a franchise QB right now it's sad.

I am not going to dispute Mariota's status as a franchise QB. I think most people would agree that he is going to be a very good and a right pain in the [BLEEP] for the AFC South because not only do we have Andrew Luck to contend with, we now have Marcus Mariota to contend with...

That said, what do the Tennessee Titans have this year to aid Mariota? A very strong running game. DeMarco Murray sits second in the league in rushing with 930 yards, behind only Ezekiel Elliot. He's averaging 93 yards per game. Add to that Heisman winner, Derrick Henry, and his 252 yards; and Mariota's 235 yards. They are averaging 146 rushing yards per game, behind only Buffalo (155) and Dallas (161). Having a strong running game has helped Mariota and the passing game. They realised they needed to upgrade their running game after last season when they averaged 92.8 which was 25th in the league. 

Where do we rank? 26th in the league with 88.1 yards per game. 

Where did we rank last year? 27th in the league with 92.1 yards per game. 

We have moved up one place but average four less yards per game. Our running game for the most part has struggled and that has led to Bortles needing to take the offense on his back and pass more. Now it would be great if he was the next Tony Romo or Drew Brees, but he's not. He needs help just like other quarterbacks in this league get. The Titans upgraded their running game and that has helped their overall offense. We tried to upgrade our running game but have failed. With a better running game, Bortles might be better than he currently is. I don't think he's going to be Luck or Mariota good, but he's certainly capable of being a starting quarterback in this league and being productive, but this team needs to do a better job of helping him. It's all well and good having Robinson, Hurns, Lee, Thomas and co for the passing game. But sort the running game out, don't abandon it. If they did that properly this season, like the Titans, this offense would be better for it. 
another reason:  because we will just draft a bust to replace him

Quote:So what this team needs to do is sort out the running game. If ivory and Yeldon are not the answer, find someone that is. Sort out the O-Line if that helps. And commit to a strong running game, that in turn will take the pressure off
Bortles...

I agree about the need for a strong running game. That said, Ivory and Yeldon have shown me they can get it done if used correctly. They're both able to pick up the hard yards and even have a knack for making holes when the OL doesn't, but neither one has been given a chance to build up carries. Even the great Elliot would struggle with such sporadic carries.

As for Bortles, it's no wonder his arm his shot. Lags just pointed out that he has the most passing attempts in the NFL.

Sacremento Kings Center DeMarcus Cousins is the reason we should keep him.

<b>I mean WOW if these stats aren't a relevant reason to keep Blake another year, look at DeMarcus Cousins Rookie year compared to Blakes 2015 season. </b>

Cousins: 

.430 FG %

.16 3-PT %

28 Mins player per gamer

14.1 Points per game

Blake Bortles in 2015:

58% Completion percentage

Never missed a 3pt 

averaged 16 Points per game

How can you even argue against this logic! It's so obvious. 
Quote:Where did we rank last year? 27th in the league with 92.1 yards per game. 
As I tried to explain to the space coast dude, right now we are 15th in yards per carry at 4.2. The overall stats are lying because we are dead last in rushing attempts this year at 188. 

We are dead last in rushing attempts because Blake is incapable of converting 3rd downs. 

Blake's 3rd down numbers this year: 50.5% completions (36.8% for a 1st down), 3 TD, 7 INT, 44.5 passer rating, and 5.2 YPA. 

We can pare it down to 3rd and long too and compare vs Mariota since the Titans running game was the reason he has had it so easy according to you.

Blake on 3rd and 7-9: 29%, 0 TD, 2, INT, 10.2 pass rating (!!!), and 5.5 YPA

Mariota on 3rd and 7-9: 57.8%, 1 TD, 0 INT, 100.3 passer rating, and 7.8 YPA

Mariota has actually had to deal with more 3rd and longs too, 19 to 17. The problem hasn't been the rushing game, the problem has been the Bortles game. 
Gus and Dave watched ESPN Classic football games and determined that other QBs from the 80s and 90s also missed throws

We are ok guys, chill tf out
How about comparing him to the guy the Jaguars face in two days. In his fourth year in the league he threw 20tds and 17 ints.
Quote:How about comparing him to the guy the Jaguars face in two days. In his fourth year in the league he threw 20tds and 17 ints.

While demonstrating the ability to throw a spiral more often than not.
Pages: 1 2 3