Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DOW HITS 22,000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MAKE IT RAIN !!

[Image: 200.webp#0-grid1]
Thanks to Obama's policies and the confidence he instilled in the economy.
(08-02-2017, 01:48 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to Obama's policies and the confidence he instilled in the economy.

... back at ya ...... every time Trump fires someone the Dow goes up !!

They better pass tax reform...

Or it'll fall faster than...
something heavy....
off a tall cliff...
Trump will take credit when the market goes up, but when it goes down, he'll blame someone else. I guarantee it.
(08-02-2017, 02:39 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]They better pass tax reform...

Or it'll fall faster than...
something heavy....
off a tall cliff...

Not really.

The end of 2015 and start of 2016 is the last time that we've seen the market take a big dip.  That was mainly due to the price of oil taking a dive.  It kind of climbed back up throughout the year with bonds (bearish) paying pretty good.  Stocks did well in certain sectors, but the overall market really didn't do all that great... until November.

What is interesting to look at is the major jump on or around November 8, 2016.  Since then the market has been steadily climbing.  There was a minor (and needed) correction around the February - May time-frame, but remember that's the end of a fiscal quarter.  It was also around the same time that the FED announced the policy regarding interest rates.  After that correction, the market kept (and keeps) steadily going up.

Here is a daily chart that tracks the DOW daily showing the last two years.

[Image: l7xnWrl.png]

I wouldn't say that the market performance is based on The White House and what has been going on at all.

It's just my opinion that the market has been doing well for a couple of reasons, regardless of the current political climate.

1. Businesses and investors perceive a more "friendly" environment under Republican government.  I'm not saying that it's real, I'm just saying that's the "perception" in my mind.  That's why you see the major bump in November of last year.

2. Oil being relatively low right now is good for business.  The price of oil is a major driver of the economy.

3. Lifting major bloat and restrictions allows businesses to prosper and make money.  Going back to #2, includes lifting restrictions regarding the Dakota pipeline as well as the Keystone pipeline.
The bottom line is, you can't credit a President for how the stock market performs directly.  Is there some influence?  Of course, but there are many factors involved regarding it.

Many people credit President Obama for the market improving from when he got elected (2008), but fail to realize that it was actually President Bush administration people that helped make it happen (Hank Paulson for one).

My bottom line is this.  The market doing well either in the past or the present has very little to do with the sitting President.  Trumpettes are going to give him credit for how the market is doing today and liberals are going to credit President Obama for the recovery from the 2008 housing bubble crash.  Both are wrong.
(08-02-2017, 04:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Many people credit President Obama for the market improving from when he got elected (2008), but fail to realize that it was actually President Bush administration people that helped make it happen (Hank Paulson for one).

EXCELLENT POINT !!    ..... but I do give credit to Obama for giving the banks & auto industries $$ incentives to keep them afloat (and many if not all did pay back their gov incentives so they could issue internal bonus' and such)

[Image: obama-dow.jpg]
(08-02-2017, 04:26 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2017, 04:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Many people credit President Obama for the market improving from when he got elected (2008), but fail to realize that it was actually President Bush administration people that helped make it happen (Hank Paulson for one).

EXCELLENT POINT !!    ..... but I do give credit to Obama for giving the banks & auto industries $$ incentives to keep them afloat (and many if not all did pay back their gov incentives so they could issue internal bonus' and such)

[Image: obama-dow.jpg]

Your picture of the market isn't very accurate.  It's pretty unfair to depict the market from (I assume) late 2007-2008 and show the market from what appears to be late 2008 up through 2010.

Lets take a bigger picture view.

[Image: 6iQNUaI.png]

This chart is a weekly view of the DOW and looks back 19 years.  You see a dip right around  January of 2001 which was part of the "dot-com bubble" bursting.  The market did fall and contrary to popular belief, it didn't fall much because of the 9/11 attack.  As of matter of fact the market stayed fairly flat for a couple of months then started climbing back.

Somewhere around October or November of 2003 the market recovered from the "dot-com bubble".  During this time frame however, it was a time where people were encouraged to take loans for mortgages (actually that started earlier).  Credit was "easy and cheap".

At the end of 2007 you see a hesitation in the market because some people saw it coming.  Around that time "big banks" were failing.  The bubble burst in September of 2008.  The market took a huge plunge and reset.

It wasn't so much Presidential policy that caused it and it wasn't Presidential policy that enabled the recovery (for the most part).

What I'm saying is, you can't blame the Bush administration for the failure in 2008, you can't give credit to the Obama administration for the eventual recovery and you can't give the current administration credit for what the market is doing today.
There's something wrong with that second chart...
(08-02-2017, 11:30 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]There's something wrong with that second chart...

Huh   What's wrong with it?
If pension funds are smart, they will bank some of these gains.
(08-03-2017, 03:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2017, 11:30 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]There's something wrong with that second chart...

Huh   What's wrong with it?

I think those charts are for the Dow Chemical Company, not the DOW Industrial index.
(08-03-2017, 10:00 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2017, 03:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Huh   What's wrong with it?

I think those charts are for the Dow Chemical Company, not the DOW Industrial index.

Doh!  I selected one of my saved charts and selected the wrong one.   Wallbash  The first is the actual index, the second is actually Dow Chemical Company.