Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: SCUBA Certification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone here have their certification? I'm planning to go through some classes this year. Any pointers for a beginner as far as gear and whatnot? Living in the Blue Ridge Mountains, there are a lot of beautiful lakes that would be awesome to explore. Especially without the threat of an alligator lol I'd also love to have the ability to do some shipwreck diving off the coasts. There's considerably more wreckages than people realize.

I also plan to get into some real rock climbing (not the gym walls) soon and some kayaking and whitewater rafting next summer.
Does your life insurance company know about all this?
(08-04-2017, 04:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Does your life insurance company know about all this?

I'm well past the incontestability period lol
You'll need your own mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. The class should provide the rest, but check with them first.

After the class you can rent equipment, but get your own weight belt and wetsuit. Olympus makes a great underwater camera.

It's easy to learn.
Sounds like a mid life crisis. Also sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.
(08-04-2017, 07:08 PM)UJags Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a mid life crisis.  Also sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

I turn 30 in January. Does that count as Mid-Life? Or am I still in thee "young and dumb" phase? Lol

But yeah, it sounds like a blast. I'm hoping when my daughter gets older she'd be interested enough to go on some dives with me. But that's a long way off.
about 25 years or so I got scuba certified...I haven't dived in 15 years or more...It's a lot of fun
(08-04-2017, 07:12 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2017, 07:08 PM)UJags Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a mid life crisis.  Also sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

I turn 30 in January. Does that count as Mid-Life? Or am I still in thee "young and dumb" phase? Lol

But yeah, it sounds like a blast. I'm hoping when my daughter gets older she'd be interested enough to go on some dives with me. But that's a long way off.

Nah, your just a handful of years younger than I.  I say that's in between stages.  

Good luck with it.   Hopefully your daughter will get into it with you down the line.  I've got an almost 3 yr old daughter.  I'm hoping she has the same interests as I when she gets older.  Otherwise, I'll have to keep doing girly stuff with her.  Not that I mind that,  but it would be nice to take her camping and fishing etc. and her actually enjoy it.