Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Three Things to Watch Tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the football withdrawal has finally dissipated, preseason football is all about evaluation and hoping for good health for your team.

As far as evaluation, all eyes are going to be on Bortles, and no matter the outcome, nothing will really change.

However, aside from Bortles, there are plenty of things to look for.

Here is my list.

1.  The running game-  The Jaguars have stated there will be a greater emphasis on the running game.  Drafting Leonard Fournette and Cam Robinson 1-2 speaks volumes to their renewed emphasis on the ground game.  Can the team run the ball against a good front?  Can Fournette have room to run?  How will they perform in goal line/short yardage?  Can the ground game sustain some drives and lead to better down and distance situations?

2.  The pass rush-The secondary is depleted with the top 3 CBs (Ramsey, Bouye, and Colvin) out due to injury or being held out for precautionary reasons.  However, Ngakoue and Fowler are expected to play.  Can Ngakoue improve upon last year's surprising rookie campaign?  Can Fowler overcome his off field gaffes and provide the pass rush expected from the 3rd overall pick, especially now he is two seasons removed from his ACL?

3.  The rookies-Of course with the run game analysis above, my eyes will be focused on the top two picks.  But what about the other guys?  Can Smoot show something other that occupying space?  Will Westbrook show his explosiveness in the form of big plays?  How will Blair Brown perform?  Will Marquez Williams have the desired impact on the running game?  Can Myrick not get faked off his feet and use his considerable speed to blanket some WRs?  What about the undrafted guys, like the star of camp Keelan Cole. Avery Gennesey.

Your thoughts?
Myles Jack.

Glad you mentioned Blair Brown, I was looking to see him too.
(08-10-2017, 05:25 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Myles Jack.

Glad you mentioned Blair Brown, I was looking to see him too.

If I had to add a couple of items...

4.  Myles Jack-his speed should suggest big plays, but thus far, based upon my own observations and the observations of others, he hasn't made those big plays.

5.  Special teams-will there be any signs of competence from this group that has been incompetent for too long?
Like others, I'm very interested in seeing how the starting LB corps performs with the changes. I think that once Jack has some reps at game speed, his natural abilities should take over. He's fortunate to be bracketed by two very good LB to either side. I want to see how he handles his new role, and how Poz adjusts to his.

Special teams is going to be another focus. We've been so inept in that department. I love DeCamillis. I want to see if he can bring that unit forward to where it was when he was here previously.

I also want to see how the defensive line performs. Is Fowler finally going to step up, or are we going to get the antics that have plagued him the past couple of weeks with more of the same lack of impact?

I REALLY want to see how Westbrook is used tonight. I'd love to see him stretch the field. Hopefully that happens because I think he brings a whole new dimension to this team that has been lacking.
(08-10-2017, 06:19 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Like others, I'm very interested in seeing how the starting LB corps performs with the changes.  I think that once Jack has some reps at game speed, his natural abilities should take over.  He's fortunate to be bracketed by two very good LB to either side.  I want to see how he handles his new role, and how Poz adjusts to his.

Special teams is going to be another focus.  We've been so inept in that department.  I love DeCamillis.  I want to see if he can bring that unit forward to where it was when he was here previously.

I also want to see how the defensive line performs.  Is Fowler finally going to step up, or are we going to get the antics that have plagued him the past couple of weeks with more of the same lack of impact?  

I REALLY want to see how Westbrook is used tonight.  I'd love to see him stretch the field.  Hopefully that happens because I think he brings a whole new dimension to this team that has been lacking.

Earlier today, I heard that Jack hasn't been making the plays and that he had no answer for Gronk.

I am not necessarily going to panic about that.  Very few have had an answer for Gronkowski and Brady.  However, I do want to see him stuff the run and make some plays in the passing game in the future against less than other worldly opponents.
All eyes on the new long snapper
(08-10-2017, 06:35 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: [ -> ]All eyes on the new long snapper

Nice...though I think we're okay there based upon what I've heard of the guy.
1. Bortles: I want to see how he looks

2. Fournette: How could you not have our top 5 pick in the ones to watch?

3. Fowler: Be devastating.
(08-10-2017, 06:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]1. Bortles:  I want to see how he looks

2. Fournette:  How could you not have our top 5 pick in the ones to watch?

3. Fowler:  Be devastating.

As for #2, did you see the entry regarding the running game?  I specifically mentioned Fournette and Robinson.  I echoed that in #3.

I do want to see Fowler make a positive impact.  I want to see him harassing the QBs.  Last year, he showed out before the pads came on, then got shut out after the pads came on.  Now that he has a full year under his belt, I want to see his development.  I want to see him beat the tackle more than once or twice.
If Fowler becomes a player who lives up to the #3 overall pick his off the field problems became a non issue. Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and the fans really didn't care. Lawerence Taylor was a major coke head, Thug, and just a bad overall guy during his prime but the fans didn't really care because he was a monster on it.

Its Fowlers time to show something.
Didn't see anything about Bortles. A couple of check downs which is a plus for him as nothing back breaking happened.

It isn't that attractive but it's nice being able to just hand the ball off and get first downs. That's pretty much game changing.