Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Offensive line not offensive tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cam Robinson looked like a brick wall tonight. Omemeh and Cann were human bulldozers. Linder playing pivot was traditionally steady and Poutasi and Wells didn't stick out like a sore thumb, and that's a good thing. Was the panic unwarranted?
Need to remember that New England's front seven was lacking many of their starters. It's definitely promising, but we need to see MUCH more before we can truly glean anything from this line.
Yes, the offensive line did well. Robinson did not look like a rookie starting his 1st game. Can't get too excited yet since Patriots played a lot of reserves at start of game. I'm anxious to see how the line looks the next 2 weeks when they'll be going up against mostly starters for close to a half.
Mike Kaye @mike_e_kaye

Okay, it's time to anoint Patrick Omameh as the starting #Jaguars left guard.
Robinson has impressed me very much to where I'm changing my tune on him - still think he'd be s better guard but I'm more comfortable with him protecting the blindside than I was .. the real test will be in Houston
Robinson was impressive. Showed genuine enthusiasm on the TD run by Fournette and the TD by Cole. Plays with passion. It's exactly what we want to see up front being able to move the chains at least occasionally by running the ball. Our QB's had plenty of time to do their job and the defense had to respect the play action. Seeing a true Full Back was refreshing. I'm trying not to get too high or low on players at least until the third preseason game. We looked solid the first couple of preseason games last year on the ground then the 3rd preseason game against the Bengals we got destroyed.
They did very well. About as good as they possibly could do, against the pats 2nd and 3rd string guys, but keep in mind, New England didn't play any starters. I'm not ready to relax just yet. I want to see our line get tested.
The line did fine, Omameh has probably gained his spot and he was good last year when he played.

But this is just preseason, I remember the Oline was really good the first 2 preseason games last year, we were running very well with Yeldon and Ivory.
Then the third preseason game arrived and the performance against the Bengals was horrible....so I'll stay cautious this year. But yes, there's hope Smile
Week 1 we play the best front 7 in football. We'll be hanging on for dear live and will get eaten alive but after at least from then on we won't play a defense as tough as that again until maybe Seattle comes here.
Shout out to the FB's, they definitely provided a lot of help in the run game
I think what we saw from the offensive line last night might be the product of a lot of practices in full pads; a lot of hard hitting so far in training camp. This puts them further along than in prior preseasons.

But overall, yes, I am encouraged. They did not suck.

Also, having a RB like Fournette puts us in 2nd and 7 or 2nd and 6 rather than 2nd and 10 like we've had so often in previous years.
I thought the run blocking could have been better. Remember, we were going up against backup lineman. I love what the fullback brings.
I'm starting to wonder if Wells might be a better RT than Parnell.
(08-11-2017, 07:52 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm starting to wonder if Wells might be a better RT than Parnell.

Can Parnell play guard?
(08-11-2017, 07:54 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2017, 07:52 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm starting to wonder if Wells might be a better RT than Parnell.

Can Parnell play guard?

I think so because he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but they say he the ideal length they look for at OT. Then again, even if they don't think he's a perfect fit inside, his pricetag alone suggests he's worth a look.

I like what I saw from him last night. I'd try him at RT throughout the preseason. If he does beat out Parnell though, that means we have no backup LT.
(08-11-2017, 08:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

I like what I saw from him last night. I'd try him at RT throughout the preseason. If he does beat out Parnell though, that means we have no backup LT.

If something were to happen to Cam, Wells would move over to LT and then Parnell or Poutasi would take over RT.
(08-11-2017, 09:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2017, 08:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I like what I saw from him last night. I'd try him at RT throughout the preseason. If he does beat out Parnell though, that means we have no backup LT.

If something were to happen to Cam, Wells would move over to LT and then Parnell or Poutasi would take over RT.

What if Wells were the one to get injured though? Who would be the backup LT? I don't see Parnell or Poutasi being able to handle the LT position if Cam got hurt, even for a short period of time. Parnell and Poutasi are pure RT's.
(08-11-2017, 10:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2017, 09:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]If something were to happen to Cam, Wells would move over to LT and then Parnell or Poutasi would take over RT.

What if Wells were the one to get injured though? Who would be the backup LT? I don't see Parnell or Poutasi being able to handle the LT position if Cam got hurt, even for a short period of time. Parnell and Poutasi are pure RT's.

Marrone was saying that Omameh could play LT in a clinch.
Omameh is looking more and more like the real deal.
I think the coaching staff changes and culture shift are exactly what a player like Omameh (and several others) needed to step their game up.
Pages: 1 2