Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags02 was right about Corey Grant.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I prefer my crow served cold, but Ill take an extra helping when it comes to Corey Grant. I poo-pooed (along with a great many of you shmucks on here) the idea of this kid ever being a player for us, but I'm actually excited about our return game for a change. Corey Grant might be the real deal, and is firmly entrenched on the roster as far as I'm concerned. I'd keep him over Ivory (too much money) or Yeldon (too much dancing) at this point tbh.
The knock on Corey was he would get tackled easily, the speed was always there. Glad to see he's improved, WR and RB depth here is nice.
I wasn't even right... all I've ever said is that he's a sensational scat back capable of producing well on gimmick plays.... but in reality he's turned out to be much more than that. 
He needs a roster spot. He should definitely make It over Yeldon. I don't like what i see from TJ.
(08-11-2017, 07:53 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]He needs a roster spot. He should definitely make It over Yeldon. I don't like what i see from TJ.

TJ might still turn out to be a good back so I'd hang onto him, but for this year I'm thinking you'd have to say...

1. 4Net
  2. Ivory
  3. Corey
  4. TJ
(08-11-2017, 07:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't even right... all I've ever said is that he's a sensational scat back capable of producing well on gimmick plays.... but in reality he's turned out to be much more than that. 

Try to throw you a bone and you throw it right back, sheesh  Tongue

He's really turned into more than what most of us thought he could be.
(08-11-2017, 07:53 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]He needs a roster spot. He should definitely make It over Yeldon. I don't like what i see from TJ.

Yeldon was never any good. I have no idea why we drafted him. I'd go into the season with Fournette, Grant and Ivory as the RB's.
I was one who trashed him, he has never looked like he had the tools to be a back in this league. He did last night.
Thankfully Jags02 is being humble haha. He hit the nail on the head with this one. The kid has wheels and has consistently improved! if he has any kind of special teams acumen (aside from returning kicks) I think he's easily on the roster as the primary KR guy and potentially the 3rd down RB for passing downs. Yeldon looks like his roster spot is in trouble.
Against 1st string starting defenders, he goes down with a hand tap.
(08-11-2017, 09:03 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Against 1st string starting defenders, he goes down with a hand tap.

This requires the ability to get a hand on him.
(08-11-2017, 05:33 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]I know I prefer my crow served cold, but Ill take an extra helping when it comes to Corey Grant. I poo-pooed (along with a great many of you shmucks on here) the idea of this kid ever being a player for us, but I'm actually excited about our return game for a change. Corey Grant might be the real deal, and is firmly entrenched on the roster as far as I'm concerned. I'd keep him over Ivory (too much money) or Yeldon (too much dancing) at this point tbh.

I've always liked Grant.  I just didn't see where he'd crack the rotation once we drafted Fournette.  I disagree that we should keep him over Ivory.  When healthy, he's well worth the investment, and right now, he's healthy.  He looked good last night.  Yeldon is nothing more than a third down back, but he's a strong blocker, which gives him some advantage in that regard.  

What I saw from Grant last night was the guy is tough as nails.  He didn't shy away from contact, and that stiff arm he put on the Pats defender was absolutely phenomenal.

I think the team is going to end up keeping 4 RBs, so I don't think he's in jeopardy.  If any RB is gone, it would most likely be Yeldon.  I could see him being used as trade bait before the season starts if Grant continues to play at the level he is currently.

I think as a rotational guy, Grant brings a ton of value to the team.  He's a tough runner, and he can fly when he gets out in space.
(08-11-2017, 09:03 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Against 1st string starting defenders, he goes down with a hand tap.

I thought the same thing, but he showed an ability to shed tackles last night that I think would translate to what he'd see against starting defenders.  I don't see him as an every down back, but with the bruisers ahead of him on the depth chart, he's a guy who could take advantage of his limited touches to bust a big play.

The way I look at it, looking at our RB grouping right now, we've got a pretty deep bunch.  That's a good problem to have.
(08-11-2017, 07:00 AM)Go Jagwaas Derp Wrote: [ -> ]The knock on Corey was he would get tackled easily, the speed was always there.  Glad to see he's improved, WR and RB depth here is nice.

His stiff arm on the Patriots defender was nasty. Something I didn't think he was capable of.
(08-11-2017, 09:39 AM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2017, 07:00 AM)Go Jagwaas Derp Wrote: [ -> ]The knock on Corey was he would get tackled easily, the speed was always there.  Glad to see he's improved, WR and RB depth here is nice.

His stiff arm on the Patriots defender was nasty. Something I didn't think he was capable of.

Agree. That wouldn't have happened last year. It appears he's improved.
I like Grant.

Speed kills.

You cant teach speed.

And he has opened his eyes because now the vision is there.
(08-11-2017, 09:31 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2017, 05:33 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]I know I prefer my crow served cold, but Ill take an extra helping when it comes to Corey Grant. I poo-pooed (along with a great many of you shmucks on here) the idea of this kid ever being a player for us, but I'm actually excited about our return game for a change. Corey Grant might be the real deal, and is firmly entrenched on the roster as far as I'm concerned. I'd keep him over Ivory (too much money) or Yeldon (too much dancing) at this point tbh.

I've always liked Grant.  I just didn't see where he'd crack the rotation once we drafted Fournette.  I disagree that we should keep him over Ivory.  When healthy, he's well worth the investment, and right now, he's healthy.  He looked good last night.  Yeldon is nothing more than a third down back, but he's a strong blocker, which gives him some advantage in that regard.  

What I saw from Grant last night was the guy is tough as nails.  He didn't shy away from contact, and that stiff arm he put on the Pats defender was absolutely phenomenal.

I think the team is going to end up keeping 4 RBs, so I don't think he's in jeopardy.  If any RB is gone, it would most likely be Yeldon.  I could see him being used as trade bait before the season starts if Grant continues to play at the level he is currently.

I think as a rotational guy, Grant brings a ton of value to the team.  He's a tough runner, and he can fly when he gets out in space.
I can agree with this with exception to actually keeping 4 RB, especially if we are going to now fill a designated FB spot. We'll see how the next preseason game goes but if you read through the coach speak Yeldon may be out the door if Grant continues to stay healthy. I think the Jags really like what they have seen from Grant the end of last season and carrying into this season. He offers a good change of pace and has toughened up as a between the tackles runner. Just keep him away from special teams!!
He does look like he's bulked up a bit and was taking some shots and not going down as easy as he used too. He could be a homerun threat in games after fournette and ivory wear the defenses down.
(08-11-2017, 07:56 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]

TJ might still turn out to be a good back so I'd hang onto him, but for this year I'm thinking you'd have to say...

1. 4Net
  2. Ivory
  3. Corey
  4. TJ

Yeldon strength is blocking on third downs and catching out the back field, I wouldnt ever hand him the ball lol 

Like FBT said, only way Yeldon goes is if we trade him, but I think we keep 4 RBs
(08-11-2017, 07:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't even right... all I've ever said is that he's a sensational scat back capable of producing well on gimmick plays.... but in reality he's turned out to be much more than that. 

He had a run last night that makes me think he is a little more than a scatback.

There was a run the the left where he had a stiff arm then finished the run by lowering his shoulder is more what a conventional back would do.

Does he have power like Fournette, Ivory, or other power runners?  No.

But he showed a physicality last night on that run that impressed me.
Pages: 1 2