Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chris Ivory - Time to move on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think it's time to move on from Chris Ivory as well. I know a lot of people harp about the line but I keep seeing a guy running into the back of linemen pushing them instead of hitting the hole and using his vision. I kept seeing a guy who is tripping over his own feet trying to run out of the backfield. I see a guy who always cuts back and gets tackled for a loss rather than pick up 4-5 yards a play. I'm done with him and I think he makes the line look a lot worse than it is.
Lessoned learned, never sign a free agent rb with a good amount of mileage in their late 20's early 30's to a lot of money.
He just needs to go downhill, he is starting to run like Yeldon
(08-18-2017, 12:01 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Lessoned learned, never sign a free agent rb with a good amount of mileage in their late 20's early 30's to a lot of money.

Never say never.  The Demarco Murray signing worked out pretty well for us.
Agreed. I'm watching the game like "why isn't he hitting the hole? Why is he constantly pushing the lineman of fullback in front of him instead of using his block?" He tries to bounce outside to much and is not shifty enough to do that.
I know that the QB controversy is the main headline and what everyone wants to talk about right now but I have to agree with OP.  

Pulled from NFL.com play by play:

Second Offensive posession:
1-10-JAX 10
(5:41) 33-C.Ivory up the middle to JAX 9 for -1 yards (51-K.Beckwith).
2-11-JAX 9
(5:03) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete short middle to 89-M.Lewis (54-L.David).
3-11-JAX 9
(4:58) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass short middle to 15-A.Robinson to JAX 19 for 10 yards (58-K.Alexander).
4-1-JAX 19
(4:14) 3-B.Nortman punts 55 yards to TB 26, Center-43-M.Overton. 18-B.Reedy to TB 29 for 3 yards (45-J.McNary).

Third Offensive Posession:

1-10-JAX 30
(14:57) 33-C.Ivory up the middle to JAX 29 for -1 yards (51-K.Beckwith).
2-11-JAX 29
(14:23) 5-B.Bortles pass short left to 15-A.Robinson pushed ob at JAX 37 for 8 yards (29-R.Smith).
3-3-JAX 37
(13:47) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete short right to 15-A.Robinson.
4-3-JAX 37
(13:42) 3-B.Nortman punts 45 yards to TB 18, Center-43-M.Overton. 18-B.Reedy to TB 34 for 16 yards (55-L.McCray; 30-C.Grant). PENALTY on JAX-17-A.Benn, Player Out of Bounds on Punt, 5 yards, enforced at TB 34.

Fourth Offensive Posession:

1-10-JAX 12
(7:30) 33-C.Ivory left end to JAX 10 for -2 yards (98-C.McDonald).
2-12-JAX 10
(7:01) 5-B.Bortles pass short middle to 33-C.Ivory to JAX 27 for 17 yards (58-K.Alexander). Penalty on TB-54-L.David, Defensive Holding, declined.
1-10-JAX 27
(6:47) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete deep left to 15-A.Robinson [91-R.Ayers Jr.].
2-10-JAX 27
(6:42) 33-C.Ivory up the middle to JAX 29 for 2 yards (23-C.Conte).
3-8-JAX 29
(6:10) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete short right to 15-A.Robinson (28-V.Hargreaves III). PENALTY on TB-28-V.Hargreaves III, Defensive Pass Interference, 12 yards, enforced at JAX 29 - No Play.

This is a combination of poor OL play but Ivory made some pretty bad cut-backs and really didn't help the team when he was out there.  He also completely whiffed on a blitz pickup that resulted in a sack.  I don't think he can have another performance like that and keep a roster spot.
(08-18-2017, 12:10 PM)Takedakai Wrote: [ -> ]I know that the QB controversy is the main headline and what everyone wants to talk about right now but I have to agree with OP.  

Pulled from NFL.com play by play:

Second Offensive posession:
1-10-JAX 10
(5:41) 33-C.Ivory up the middle to JAX 9 for -1 yards (51-K.Beckwith).
2-11-JAX 9
(5:03) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete short middle to 89-M.Lewis (54-L.David).
3-11-JAX 9
(4:58) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass short middle to 15-A.Robinson to JAX 19 for 10 yards (58-K.Alexander).
4-1-JAX 19
(4:14) 3-B.Nortman punts 55 yards to TB 26, Center-43-M.Overton. 18-B.Reedy to TB 29 for 3 yards (45-J.McNary).

Third Offensive Posession:

1-10-JAX 30
(14:57) 33-C.Ivory up the middle to JAX 29 for -1 yards (51-K.Beckwith).
2-11-JAX 29
(14:23) 5-B.Bortles pass short left to 15-A.Robinson pushed ob at JAX 37 for 8 yards (29-R.Smith).
3-3-JAX 37
(13:47) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete short right to 15-A.Robinson.
4-3-JAX 37
(13:42) 3-B.Nortman punts 45 yards to TB 18, Center-43-M.Overton. 18-B.Reedy to TB 34 for 16 yards (55-L.McCray; 30-C.Grant). PENALTY on JAX-17-A.Benn, Player Out of Bounds on Punt, 5 yards, enforced at TB 34.

Fourth Offensive Posession:

1-10-JAX 12
(7:30) 33-C.Ivory left end to JAX 10 for -2 yards (98-C.McDonald).
2-12-JAX 10
(7:01) 5-B.Bortles pass short middle to 33-C.Ivory to JAX 27 for 17 yards (58-K.Alexander). Penalty on TB-54-L.David, Defensive Holding, declined.
1-10-JAX 27
(6:47) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete deep left to 15-A.Robinson [91-R.Ayers Jr.].
2-10-JAX 27
(6:42) 33-C.Ivory up the middle to JAX 29 for 2 yards (23-C.Conte).
3-8-JAX 29
(6:10) (Shotgun) 5-B.Bortles pass incomplete short right to 15-A.Robinson (28-V.Hargreaves III). PENALTY on TB-28-V.Hargreaves III, Defensive Pass Interference, 12 yards, enforced at JAX 29 - No Play.

This is a combination of poor OL play but Ivory made some pretty bad cut-backs and really didn't help the team when he was out there.  He also completely whiffed on a blitz pickup that resulted in a sack.  I don't think he can have another performance like that and keep a roster spot.

Good post. I agree with you. I don't really blame Ivory for his lack of production because of this line, but we could pay anyone league minimum to get no production behind a terrible offensive line instead of paying a veteran tens of millions.
When the line isn't that good you have to hit the hole and get the yardage. He is doing way to much that instantly places us in 2nd and long. He did this all last year and I'm seeing it again. The line is not great but it's not as bad as we are thinking it is. He just doesn't have the vision to play behind a mediocre line.
There is no hole. He hits a pile of bodies where the hole was supposed to be and then tries to bounce, but is swarmed. Fournette will have the same result, but at least he offers an occasional home run.
(08-18-2017, 11:57 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's time to move on from Chris Ivory as well. I know a lot of people harp about the line but I keep seeing a guy running into the back of linemen pushing them instead of hitting the hole and using his vision. I kept seeing a guy who is tripping over his own feet trying to run out of the backfield. I see a guy who always cuts back and gets tackled for a loss rather than pick up 4-5 yards a play. I'm done with him and I think he makes the line look a lot worse than it is.

What hole?

Was I watching a different game? Our line got beat up.
(08-18-2017, 12:05 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]He just needs to go downhill, he is starting to run like Yeldon

(08-18-2017, 12:20 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]There is no hole.  He hits a pile of bodies where the hole was supposed to be and then tries to bounce, but is swarmed.  Fournette will have the same result, but at least he offers an occasional home run.

So why didn't 4net look horrible last week then? There is a thing called vision. He doesn't have any. Go and watch his plays. He gives up on the run before it even starts when he could legit pick up 4-5 yards. He is not getting hit in the backfield immediately. He begins to hesitate and has no idea where to go then gets hit. He just isn't any good. 4net didn't more in 2 drive than Ivory did in 2 games.
I felt our run blocking was pretty terrible but I haven't gone back and watched that stinker yet, I might just let it go lol. I think Fournette is going to be a special talent for us but I'm afraid if the OL doesn't improve that "special" for this team will be 3ypc. I haven't seen anything from Ivory so far to believe he will be able to do anything with as bad as they are.
Its a lot more than just the line need to blow open a hole for a Mack truck to run through. The are other nuances to what is happening in the run game. This guys just isn't any good. I know it's easy to just say the line sucks but this guy literally stops moving and jumps back. Watch him play not the game and you will see what I'm saying.
(08-18-2017, 12:24 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2017, 12:05 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]He just needs to go downhill, he is starting to run like Yeldon

(08-18-2017, 12:20 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]There is no hole.  He hits a pile of bodies where the hole was supposed to be and then tries to bounce, but is swarmed.  Fournette will have the same result, but at least he offers an occasional home run.

So why didn't 4net look horrible last week then? There is a thing called vision. He doesn't have any. Go and watch his plays. He gives up on the run before it even starts when he could legit pick up 4-5 yards. He is not getting hit in the backfield immediately. He begins to hesitate and has no idea where to go then gets hit. He just isn't any good. 4net didn't more in 2 drive than Ivory did in 2 games.

The line played a lot better last week than this week and it still wasn't good enough. Fournette averaged 3.4 yards per carry and Ivory averaged 3.3 - not exactly showing off while the other does nothing. I have no clue what game you are watching if you think our running backs aren't getting hit in the backfield. I can't argue with you if you actually believe that.
What I saw a few times is when there was no hole and he saw he was going to be hit, he hit the ground like Henne and Gabbert do...My wife even commented on that which was surprising
So y'all think Ivory is good lol. Y'all got it
Quote:So y'all think Ivory is good lol. Y'all got it
No I really don't.  My memories of any good run by Ivory are where he starts deep in the backfield and hits the hole at full speed then breaks free or his momentum after contact still lets him fall forward for 2-3 yards.  I haven't seen that once this preseason.  I do however, feel that on the few carries he has had so far the OL was almost always getting blown up and his vision hasn't been good enough to find a way past the line.

I don't remember seeing a run of his so far though where he completely missed a giant hole ala Gerhart a few years back.
My opinion is that he is overpaid to be non-productive behind an offensive line that is probably the 33rd ranked offensive line in the NFL. My opinion is that he is an okay running back, but it doesn't matter here. Tom Brady and LeVeon Bell would struggle as a tandem here. Why pay someone lots of money for diminishing returns?
Add him to the growing list of Caldwell's failures.
The salary cap dictates that we can't cut Ivory this year. Our only options as far as parting with him are to trade him or cut him after the season.
Pages: 1 2 3