Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: is DC allergic to O-Line?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Year after year this guy refuses to do anything to fix this O-Line.  He's spent all this money on Defense last year and all we get to address O-Line is Albert???

First he misses the chance to bring Alex Mack in twice!!  He let's Jockel walk after he looked good at LG and now we basically have no LG (Omameh is trash).  Then he lets Zeitler go to Browns.  Linder is good but didn't deserve highest paid C in league.  We have no depth at RG and RT.  Both Cann and Parnell are average at best.  I like Robinson at LT and he has played good so far but we could have moved up in 2nd and grabbed Lamp.  

I just don't understand why he's refusing to fix this O-Line.  Year after year I keep waiting but nothing is happening.  This is one of the worst O-Lines I have seen on this team.  2008 patched up Line is better than these guys.
Lamp wouldn't have helped this year.
He's drafted at least 4 O-Linemen in his tenure.
He's also signed 5-6 FA OL guys..

He hasn't done 'nothing'. He just hasn't been very good at fixing the OL outside of Linder and Cam
Lamp would have been upgrade at Guard.

I understand he's made moves on O-Line but I don't understand why he hasn't done anything this year and why he let Jockel walk
He's tried. But he's failed to sign or draft guys that ended up being able to get it done.

It's a pretty tired topic.

Had Albert panned out and Cam played LG this year, we wouldn't be re-hashing this topic for the umpteenth time. That plan failed.
Albert first practice you could tell that he had nothing left. He didn't decide to retire for no reason, it was a blessing in disguise. If he did stay he would have been huge liability.
(08-23-2017, 11:23 AM)KingJones Wrote: [ -> ]Lamp would have been upgrade at Guard.  

I understand he's made moves on O-Line but I don't understand why he hasn't done anything this year and why he let Jockel walk

If you draft Lamp, you don't have Cam.  Had they gone that route, I'm sure someone like yourself would have started a thread today complaining that Caldwell missed miserably by drafting Lamp instead of getting Cam when he had the chance.

BTW, Caldwell didn't draft anyone this year.  Coughlin did.  In the past, Caldwell has attempted to bring in talent for the line and has fallen short.  He's also brought in every guy currently on the line including Linder, who is arguably the best lineman on the team right now.  While the team is thin at depth for the OL with the Albert retirement, it should be improved over last year, and with time, if they can stay healthy, it will continue to get better as they gel as a unit.  The primary concern right now is who will play that LG spot, and hopefully they will get that figured out quickly.

You mentioned that they missed on Mack twice.  I disagree.  They really only passed on him once, and he ended up in Atlanta.  They aggressively went after him the year before, and Cleveland opted to match the offer.  Nothing we could do about that, so that's not a miss in my book.  The Browns were one of the few teams with enough cap space to pretty much match whatever we offered, and they did so.
I echo most of these sentiments.

He has tried. He has just been bad at it. The argument can be made that he should have tried more than he did, but there was an attempt at least.
In these o-line threads I find it useful to point out that 80% of this board liked the Beadles and Wizniewski signings when they happened and didn't expect those guys to perform so poorly.
Albert was a try.

You have to give him that.
No, I'm saying they keep the Cam pick and move up again in 2nd before Chargers and pick Lamp. Or we should have kept Jockel. Who's gonna play LG now???
(08-23-2017, 01:11 PM)KingJones Wrote: [ -> ]No, I'm saying they keep the Cam pick and move up again in 2nd before Chargers and pick Lamp.  Or we should have kept Jockel.  Who's gonna play LG now???

What's with the love of Joekel? That guy was terrible! Good riddance.
The competition at LG between two or three guys who should probably be back-ups is the main issue we are facing with this line.

Ideally we'd have Cam at LG and Albert at LT for at least one year, but that pipedream is long gone now.

This is why I'd have taken Feeney or Elflein in the third instead of Smoot.

I haven't completely given up hope on Bowanko or Omameh doing a solid job there, but I expect either will struggle against the better DTs they face.
(08-23-2017, 01:11 PM)KingJones Wrote: [ -> ]No, I'm saying they keep the Cam pick and move up again in 2nd before Chargers and pick Lamp.  Or we should have kept Jockel.  Who's gonna play LG now???

Joeckel was in a contract year, and would have expected to be paid like a LT.  He wasn't a long-term option for this team, and he was only marginal playing Guard, so it's not like they lost out on some all pro here.

We had already traded up to get Robinson.  We weren't going to trade back up again to get a guard.

The team tried to sure up the left side of the line by drafting Robinson and trading for Albert.  Albert screwed that up, so the team is doing what they can to address that situation.  It remains to be seen what options will be available as teams cut down to 53, but there should be some opportunity there to bolster the depth on the line.  It's reasonable to assume that if there's an upgrade to be had, Coughlin will be on the phone trying to beef up the line.

What could you have traded to move back up into the top of the second round to get Lamp ahead of SD?  Who above SD would have been willing to deal completely out of the 2nd round?

Joeckel wasn't that good at LG, either.
Lamp already blew out his ACL and is done for the year. I think we did ok landing Cam instead.
I think its more of a league without a lot of o line talent. The way colleges are playing hinders their development, teams don't practice as much to get their technique down. It used to be you could get a LT in the first, a guard in the 3rd and a center in the 5th or 6th. Seems like if you want a LT or C you need to get them in the 1st or get lucky. A guard you get in the 2nd or the 3rd and get lucky, a tackle is hit or miss no matter where you get them. Probably the best thing you can do is take your swings in the draft every year with a guy or two. Stockpile some nfl sized bodies late in the draft or in undrafted free agency and develop them. Tyler Shatley and Bowanko are two guys that we've spent some time developing and I expect those jars to come to life soon.
(08-23-2017, 11:04 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]He's drafted at least 4 O-Linemen in his tenure.

He hasn't done 'nothing'. He just hasn't been very good at fixing the OL outside of Linder and Cam

^Exactly. 
There has been alot of names/turnover along the O-line ever since DC has been here. 

It still doesn't look good, but it's not because DC "has done nothing". That's simply not true. 

Joeckel 
Cam Robinson 
Wisniewski 
Beadles 
Cann
Bowanko 
Pasztor
Linder
Beachum 
Parnell

That's just the guys I can think of that have been a meaningful part of the O-line the past few years. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some more.
(08-23-2017, 11:04 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]He's drafted at least 4 O-Linemen in his tenure.

Please don't put good and Cann in the same sentence
Quick name the LG on the Patriots. Or the Falcons.

Until we get a QB, nothing really matters. Good QB'S make an offensive line better. Including the run game with draws and play action.

If we had Linder at Guard with Mack at Center, we would be the same exact team. Nothing would change.
Pages: 1 2