Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why diversity doesn't work- interview from 2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was reading up on Keith Ellison, the guy who wants to be the new Chair of the DNC , to see what the fuss was about and something I read on his Issues page made me think about diversity and why does (or doesn't) it work. I stumbled across this interview NPR had with a Harvard political scientist back in 2007 and was curious what a liberal professor say about the subject on a liberal radio show. Especially pre-Obama who many think has had a hand in the widening racial divide in America since he took office in 2008.

It's an interesting interview based on a study the Harvard professor was part of on the subject of, "to measure the level of civic engagement and the number of friends people have and how they got along with their local government and so on, in 40 very different communities, places you've heard of like Los Angeles or Boston or Atlanta or Detroit or Chicago, and places you haven't heard, little rural counties in the South Dakota or up in the Appalachias in West Virginia, or villages in New Hampshire - places all over."

Some of these places are very diverse, obviously the bigger cities, and some not so much. There is some interesting stuff the guy says about how the more diverse a neighborhood or community is, the more people tend to not be trusting of the folks around them- even of people their own race. 

He said this, "I think part of it is that when we're around a lot of people who we don't know very well and whose cultural backgrounds and moves we don't know very well, we don't know quite how to read anybody. So we don't know if when somebody looks at us, you know, square on, does that mean hi, glad to have you here, or does that mean get out of my way?

And so I think all of us - you know, this is not a matter of liberal or conservative. It's not a matter of old or young or rich or poor. We all, it turns out, seem to be a little defensive. And to pull in, as I say, to hunker down - we have fewer friends. The only two things that go up as the diversity of your census track goes up are protest marches and television watching."

He goes on to explain how he visited some mega-churches and saw how diverse they were, even in places that still have segregation issues, yet there was harmony because something bigger than their ethnicity was the focus. He also mentioned the US Army and the same cohesion because for a period of time in their lives, these people from all different backgrounds were part of something that was bigger than those backgrounds. Military folks in general will have a more diverse group of friends than any other group, even (and sadly often) moreso than church folks, because the military pretty much puts you where you end up and you don't have a choice.

This can be seen now with all of the people who are rioting and protesting the election results. It's a diverse group in ethnicity and socioeconomics but their cohesion comes from their ideals, their belief in something bigger than themselves. In this case that would be either Trump's win or Clinton's loss which are not necessarily synonymous with each other. Regardless of how they see the failure their ultimate focus is Clinton is not POTUS-elect and that makes them a group of folks that in it's entirety perhaps doesn't have anything in common in daily life.  

Even here on this board there are folks who see polar opposite on political issues but very much agree on other subjects. Minorcan and I don't see eye to eye politically but we have the same ideas on what good TV shows and movies are. And I think right now we can all agree the Jaguars are abysmal. 

Anyway, I thought it to be an interesting read and figured I would share it to get some of your opinions on the subject. He did say he believes in the long run we can become a better country because of our diversity and people will adapt, but again this was in 2007. A great deal has changed since then. 

In looking at another article about diversity the subject of diversity and civility came to mind. I looked it up (google is your friend) and this came up. I thought it made sense, especially the bold sections. It inadvertently describes the absolute difference between being civil and being tolerant. Tolerance being the thing many democrats/liberals demand yet are extremely uncivil when it's not on their terms.

Managing Diversity and Civility

As modern transportation - cars, planes, boats, and trains - make the world more accessible, society becomes more diverse. Diversity in language, cultures, and religions is a positive thing. However, diversity can mean that two people in war torn countries could be socializing and moving in the same setting. A child from Ukraine could be seated in the classroom by a child from Russia or a Jewish doctor could be working in the same hospital as a surgeon from Palestine. It is imperative that civility exists in the modern and diverse society. Civility can be better obtained with a cultural understanding and a shared goal of peace.

Old wounds heal slowly and some never want to forget. If the cultures of different societies are explored, then the odds that an accord can be met are more easily obtained. To understand why an ancestor or country of an ancestor acted in a certain way is often the first step to stopping that bad behavior. We study history to ensure that holocausts and genocides do not happen again. Unfortunately, we are not yet at this place. Often people fear what they do not understand and understanding can help lead to acceptance. The Catholic Church that observes Seder with the local Temple is an example of this gesture. Some schools have different country days or weeks when a country and its traditions are studied to gain a better understanding. People need to understand often to accept something new.

I will say for the above paragraph that we suffer more from our lack of knowledge of this country's history regarding slavery, racism, sexism, etc. Most people regurgitate what their parents or friends told them or what they learned in school or from the media without ever looking up the subject themselves. JDub is a perfect example but she is not the only one here who is guilty. Instead of taking everyone's opinion on Ellison as truth I decided to look him up myself. You have to sift through the left and right to get a general idea of who the fellow is and I still don't understand a great deal but the point is I am trying to understand for myself who he is instead of relying on opinions here. Of course being as he's a politician all you have to do is go to his government page to see what his voting record is as well as bills and and laws he supports and you get somewhat of a picture of who he is.

Peace should be a worldwide goal, but obviously this is not always the case. And one person may not be able to convince others to just get along. However, everyone must do his or her part. By showing civility for different cultures, religions, and countries is the first step. If you have small children, you will act as a model for those children when you show tolerance and acceptance. To end prejudice we must show the children how to be tolerant and how to be accepting. One person can begin a change; be that one positive person.

Making an effort to understand people different than you can lead to civility. Do not fear what you do not know, but instead seek to know it. Additionally understanding that peace is important and that everyone plays a role in peacekeeping is an additional way to bring about civility with diversity in today’s wide world. Diversity and civility can go hand-in-hand.

After reading this I can say diversity and civility should go hand in hand but we're stuck with diversity and tolerance instead. And just as darkness is an absence of light, tolerance has become the absence of civility.

Until "diversity" is no longer an issue this country will always be divided.

Quote:Until "diversity" is no longer an issue this country will always be divided.
That, or until people can be civil rather than tolerant.
Quote:That, or until people can be civil rather than tolerant.

Yup.  See my response in the 60 minutes thread.