Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Firesky's Quick Hits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just my quick blurbs from what I saw:

-Keelan Cole has made the roster but will not start, his drop against Tampa and his drop this week have effectively moved him down the depth chart and cooled off his rather rapid start to camp/preseason. He's good at coverage on Special Teams, has height and speed but needs to work with Coach McCardell to sure up the consistency with his hands.

-Allen Hurns will start week 1. in 3 WR sets I believe we'll see ARob at Split End, Lee at Flanker and Hurns in the slot. Since the Albino Tiger is coming off an ankle injury i expect them to be cautious with him the first few weeks of the regular season, giving Hurns starting reps that if he plays well with he won't relinquish, at worst he's the top option in the slot.

-Dawuane Smoot played fine. Everyone is getting on him saying he was "invisible" and didn't make an impact, tbh he's a big body Strongside End; He's been about equal to Calais Campbell in my opinion. I think he's rather raw but learning from Campbell this season will help him tremendously, he's about where he should be and I think will develop to be a 6-8 sack guy eventually.

-Tashaun Gipson is either not trying or just terrible at tackling. that 2nd play from scrimmage where he threw himself at his legs instead of wrapping up made me cringe. I'm not sure if he's just going half speed/trying to avoid injury in the preseason but it had me concerned, especially since Church showed up and played like a monster.

-Guard is the biggest need on this roster. As much as the QB's struggled I think a big reason is the play of the interior line, they're surrendering pressure up the middle (quickest path to QB) every play its hard to get a rhythm or even reach the end of your drop to get the ball out, its a problem from the starters to the 4th string. luckily its the easiest OLine position to find, sadly it cant get addressed till next offseason Sad

-Myles Jack is developing nicely, showed off his speed and range, tackled soundly. Honestly I think he just needs reps and experience, sidelining him last year did a real disservice. He clearly is talented and athletic, there will be growing pains so let him have them now and get them over with

-this team needs Ramsey, Bouye & Colvin healthy. Patmon flashed early in camp but has clearly struggled to cover the upper echelon WR's in this league the past 2 weeks: Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin... or he's just not good against taller WR's. He's made the team as depth though so hopefully he can be developed in case of injury, Doran Grant on the other hand may be on the bubble as he did not play well.

-Corey Grant made the team with special teams prowess and looks to be the only non-Fournette RB that has the ability to produce.

-Marquez Wilson deserves a chance to start, I liked what i saw from him in his limited action. I don't think Tommy Bohanan offers anything, not as explosive from the snap to hit the hole on the lead block and doesn't really have hands. Wilson offers more than he does and is only a rookie (who has a higher celing) 

-Coaching needs to improve, I know its preseason but the 3rd preseason game you gameplan for, no plays were called to play to the strengths of the QB's. i swear if I see another short out route in the flats... it doesn't work stop trying it. Also on Defense, it's 3rd and 2 and you have Calais Campbell at the 3T and Malik Jackson at NT after they just ran the ball down your throat to start the drive?? you're asking to get smashed up the middle in that situation, on 3rd and 10 that sub package makes sense but for that down and distance!?!? what were they thinking??

-Also why even play Brandon Allen? you give him 1 drive, with 1 min. and no timeouts... and with Dede Westbrook out, provide him with no weapons to try and move the ball?? At least give him Wynn or Cole to try and see what he has, since Henne and Bortles didn't seize the day, why not give him a shot with some of the same WR's for a more apples to apples comparison?

-Myers is fine, I really think the issue was getting timing and chemistry down with the new long snapper. now that the long snapper is settled and has been repping consistently he looked a lot more comfortable in his intial steps than he did the first 2 weeks. As much as we rip on Myers (oftentimes deservedly so) I really do think the change in the LS was the overwhelming reason why his play suddenly went back to inconsistent.

-Joe DeCamillis has been a much needed addition/return. I mention every week how amazed I am by the night and day improvement of the ST's from week to week and last year to this year. Props to him he's done an amazing job. He really should be considered for Head Coaching opportunities like John Harbaugh was as a ST's coach.
Dawuane Smoot is terrible. Should have went guard with that pick.

As for Gipson, do the coaches not see this. They guy was afraid to tackle yesterday. What happened to this dude?
(08-25-2017, 09:31 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]Dawuane Smoot is terrible. Should have went guard with that pick.

As for Gipson, do the coaches not see this. They guy was afraid to tackle yesterday. What happened to this dude?

It's easy to judge the player given the opportunity cost. I agree I'd have rather gone Dan Feeney there. That said If Feeney comes off the board in the couple picks preceding ours in the 3rd round I highly doubt people would have as big of an issue with it. Also not every 3rd round DE is going to be Ngakoue. Since he's a big body Strongside End its going to be more of an adjustment to learn technique since that prototype thrives off of bullrushing and physically dominating opponents at the NCAA level; its going to take him a year or so to adjust and thats fine. with Calais, Ngakoue, & Fowler we don't need him to be a Teal Messiah
(08-25-2017, 09:46 AM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2017, 09:31 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]Dawuane Smoot is terrible. Should have went guard with that pick.

It's easy to judge the player given the opportunity cost. I agree I'd have rather gone Dan Feeney there. That said If Feeney comes off the board in the couple picks preceding ours in the 3rd round I highly doubt people would have as big of an issue with it. Also not every 3rd round DE is going to be Ngakoue. Since he's a big body Strongside End its going to be more of an adjustment to learn technique since that prototype thrives off of bullrushing and physically dominating opponents at the NCAA level; its going to take him a year or so to adjust and thats fine. with Calais, Ngakoue, & Fowler we don't need him to be a Teal Messiah

I fully believe Smoot would've been there in the 5th round.
I agree and disagree with some of the above:

- Smoot has been playing pretty well in his role. He has been playing as a strong side end and holding up well in the run.

- Tashaun Gipson may seem invisible, but his role is last line of defense and roamer. He hasn't let much get beyond his assignment. I don't think we will see his true ability until the LBs get their crap together. Church had to play clean-up in the box last night.

- Myles Jack is NOT developing nicely. Aside from a few plays last night, he is really having trouble identifying gaps and getting off blocks. Nearly all the big first team runs Carolina had last night were Jack's fault because he got washed out. He needs better vision and that may come with confidence and not overthinking. I honestly would rather see Brown in the mix.