Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Established NFL Starting Caliber Players on the Roster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are the holes I see where we do not have somewhat consistent and reliable NFL starting caliber players.

Disclaimer: I know it's preseason so a few regular season games can confirm or discredit this list.

Offense
LT (gets a pass because we have a rookie playing there)
LG
RG
FB
QB (kind of a big deal)
TE2

Defense
DT (Jones' position)
DE (Ngakoue is close)
SLB (Jack flashes but is not established and reliable yet)

Special Teams
K

*Notable: Just missing the list (i.e. established starters but may not be solidly/consistently reliable)
RT
WR
WLB T Smith is out of position too often and misses plays (but makes a lot of plays)
FS I'm not sure I've seen Gipson make a play yet

Is this an indictment on Caldwell?  I have withheld judgment against him so far but the last few games really make me question him as the GM.  And if we fire him then who will be his replacement and build a winning roster?
I think it is an indictment on Caldwell and his scouting staff. Not only does he do a poor job of making 1st round picks, but he keeps players around too long who are obviously not going to amount to anything worth starting.

The glaring need to bulk up the o-line is still present for yet another year. He knows his early strategy of blowing up the roster backfired and he has no great 1st round pick to hang his hat on.
(08-25-2017, 11:17 AM)Tornadosoul7 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is an indictment on Caldwell and his scouting staff.  Not only does he do a poor job of making 1st round picks, but he keeps players around too long who are obviously not going to amount to anything worth starting.  

The glaring need to bulk up the o-line is still present for yet another year.  He knows his early strategy of blowing up the roster backfired and he has no great 1st round pick to hang his hat on.

My other thought is we have been lucky with injuries so far this year (knock on wood) but it's apparent if we had a couple significant injuries that we would potentially be an 0-16 team.  That doesn't happen to good teams with good rosters.  Good teams are able to absorb those injuries and still make the playoffs.  We are not even close to that.