Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Special Teams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can we please take a knee?

Also could we quit booting it out of the endzone? Field position, penalties, and turnovers is largely why we're not in the playoff hunt
Quote:Can we please take a knee?

Also could we quit booting it out of the endzone? Field position, penalties, and turnovers is largely why we're not in the playoff hunt

Why would you want them to not kick out of the endzone? We can't cover....
Quote:Why would you want them to not kick out of the endzone? We can't cover....

Agreed, take a knee and Myers should kick the hell out of the ball. Also, we should just go for blocked punts every time and not field a punt returner. That last one I'm being a *little* facetious.

It has always puzzled me why a punter cannot kick a football inside the 10 yard line from the 50 consistently, like 9 out of 10 times consistently. From the time a punter laced up his shoes and decided to be a punter, all he has had to practice and focus on is hitting the ball with his foot in such a way as to make it land in a certain targeted area. He hits thousands of practice punts honing that skill, then, in a game, when the line of scrimmage is the 40, he bombs it through the end zone. It's analogous to a pro golfer , 40 yards from the green, hitting a pitching wedge into the adjacent parking lot! Why can a pro golfer consistently land a ball within a few yards of the pin, using a piece of metal attached to his arms, and an NFL punter can't land a football within 20 yards of a target?
Quote:It has always puzzled me why a punter cannot kick a football inside the 10 yard line from the 50 consistently, like 9 out of 10 times consistently. From the time a punter laced up his shoes and decided to be a punter, all he has had to practice and focus on is hitting the ball with his foot in such a way as to make it land in a certain targeted area. He hits thousands of practice punts honing that skill, then, in a game, when the line of scrimmage is the 40, he bombs it through the end zone. It's analogous to a pro golfer , 40 yards from the green, hitting a pitching wedge into the adjacent parking lot! Why can a pro golfer consistently land a ball within a few yards of the pin, using a piece of metal attached to his arms, and an NFL punter can't land a football within 20 yards of a target?

I don't play golf and I'm not a punter either. But a pro golfer has a quiet crowd, practice swings before actually hitting the ball, and no 200+ lb defenders rushing to block his swing. You also don't have anyone waiting to field that golf ball who can catch it, return it, and score on you if you don't put enough hang time on it or hit it where the coverage isn't going to be. So no, it's not quite analogous to it. You also have to think that these punters have cannons for a leg so that they can flip field position if asked. In golf, if you're 40 yards from the green, you have the benefit of switching to a different club for that distance. A punter can't switch his leg. He probably has to actually adjust his kick to kick it shorter and higher.
Quote:Can we please take a knee?

This is dumb.

But I do wonder why on returns, the returner never runs to the hole or open part of the field. i understand the blocking concept but if the blocking isn't there, cut back cross field. Grant should have been did this. Some things just dont add up when it comes to returning.
We havn't had a return touchdown since 2010
Quote:I don't play golf and I'm not a punter either. But a pro golfer has a quiet crowd, practice swings before actually hitting the ball, and no 200+ lb defenders rushing to block his swing. You also don't have anyone waiting to field that golf ball who can catch it, return it, and score on you if you don't put enough hang time on it or hit it where the coverage isn't going to be. So no, it's not quite analogous to it. You also have to think that these punters have cannons for a leg so that they can flip field position if asked. In golf, if you're 40 yards from the green, you have the benefit of switching to a different club for that distance. A punter can't switch his leg. He probably has to actually adjust his kick to kick it shorter and higher.

Every thing you say is true. Maybe it's a wrong analogy. But, c'mon, man, ALL a punter has to do, day after day, week after week, month after month...........is to refine the art of striking the football in such a way as to have it land in a targeted area. Maybe, when the team wants to punt from the opponents' 40 yard line, they should call on a fan, like the ones who used to compete in the pass, punt& kick competition, to come in and hit a shank for 30 yards.
Rashad Greene had punt return TD against the Colts last year.

Quote:We havn't had a return touchdown since 2010
Quote:Every thing you say is true. Maybe it's a wrong analogy. But, c'mon, man, ALL a punter has to do, day after day, week after week, month after month...........is to refine the art of striking the football in such a way as to have it land in a targeted area. Maybe, when the team wants to punt from the opponents' 40 yard line, they should call on a fan, like the ones who used to compete in the pass, punt& kick competition, to come in and hit a shank for 30 yards.

What should be even easier is aiming the ball to cross the out of bounds line inside the ten. There is no need to ease up on the kick in that case.

Quote:Rashad Greene had punt return TD against the Colts last year.

Oh yeah, must be no kick return TDs since 2010.
Can't even remember who that was...Mike Thomas maybe?

Quote:Oh yeah, must be no kick return TDs since 2010.
Wow....we've had 7 kick return TDS and 5 punt return TDS in franchise history. Last kick return TD was in 2007, by MJD
Still shocked Mallory wasn't fired after his first atrocious year.
Should point that since the NFL has started nerfing kickoff returns, touchdowns have dropped dramatically across the league. Since 2011 (when I think they outlawed any wedge larger than 2 blockers) TD's have hit double digits only once. 

<a class="" href='https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwilupbRtrjQAhXDSyYKHdOvCTsQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fjaguars-would-accomplish-nothing-by-firing-gus-bradley-after-1-5-start%2F&psig=AFQjCNE8y7DGsIRYUxdtnzrXv6MeY0VM5Q&ust=1479768763229267&cad=rjt'>[Image: img25345560.jpg]</a>
the whole team is "special"
In the case of the Jaguwires it's the Special needs Teams
Quote:Still shocked Mallory wasn't fired after his first atrocious year.

Same.
Been a problem just about the whole time under Bradley.  Mallory should have been fired years ago but why would Gus fire him when Gus is a problem and bad judge of coaching ability apparently?

Pages: 1 2