Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags would be wise to extend Marqise Lee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This guy has been ultra-productive this year, I'm not referring to his stats but his actual on-field play, the all-22 film shows a guy that consistently gets open vertically. If the Jaguars had an accurate QB, Lee would've scored a 75 yd TD against Baltimore and a 50 yd TD in yesterday's game, if we had hit on those two plays the perception of Lee's production would be much different. This is an ascending player that's only going to get better with time and better QB play.

The Jags would be wise to engage in contract extension talks with Lee and bet on his future production exceeding the value of the contract, I'm assuming a deal similar to what Emmanuel Sanders originally signed with Denver back in 2014 (3 years $15M) should get the job done, it'd be a win-win for both sides, Lee would get some immediate financial security, while the Jags (potentially) lock up a game-changing WR far below market value. Cap space won't be a problem for this team moving forward, considering Blake Bortles has played himself out of a lucrative extension, the Jags also have several contracts (Julius Thomas/Poz/Odrick/Marks etc...) that they can get out of, creating even more space. I'd rather cut ties with an overpaid (slow and lethargic) Julius Thomas than cut ties with a dynamic talent like Lee.

Jags have the extension kiss of death. Look what happened to Hurns.

But i thought he was not fast and has waffle iron hands?
Quote:Jags have the extension kiss of death. Look what happened to Hurns.

Hurns has been fine this year, yea he's dropped some balls, but all of these guys are playing with the worst QB in football. Hurns is consistently open on film as well, I think people are going to be shocked how dynamic this passing O will be once Blake is replaced.
Quote:Hurns has been fine this year, yea he's dropped some balls, but all of these guys are playing with the worst QB in football. Hurns is consistently open on film as well, I think people are going to be shocked how dynamic this passing O will be once Blake is replaced.

Blake isn't going to be replaced as fast as you think he will.

He will work his butt off entering his 4th year and likely play well enough next year to warrant the 5th year option. If that doesn't work out, you are looking at yet another Jaguar QB in 2019. It is a long bumpy road ahead and the best thing to hope for now is BB5 can fix himself this offseason.
Been saying this for a while.
Quote:Blake isn't going to be replaced as fast as you think he will.

He will work his butt off entering his 4th year and likely play well enough next year to warrant the 5th year option. If that doesn't work out, you are looking at yet another Jaguar QB in 2019. It is a long bumpy road ahead and the best thing to hope for now is BB5 can fix himself this offseason.

I disagree, as I believe David Caldwell is on the hot-seat as well. I think Shad completely cleans house this off-season, and the new GM/coach brings in a veteran QB to compete with Blake, I'm betting on the veteran QB in that competition.

The cap space will easily allow the Jags to re-sign or extend Lee, especially since they likely will not be needing to spend the large sum they anticipated spending on Bortles. 

If Caldwell is still here (big if) then I imagine he'd try to extend Lee in the offseason before the 2017 training camp breaks. A new GM may have a different philosophy, but extending Lee before next season seems a wise move regardless who's in the GM office. 

Quote:I disagree, as I believe David Caldwell is on the hot-seat as well. I think Shad completely cleans house this off-season, and the new GM/coach brings in a veteran QB to compete with Blake, I'm betting on the veteran QB in that competition.

Not saying I don't think he should be replaced, but just looking at this from a historical standpoint and what I think will happen.

I'm still on the Jimmy G/McDaniels package deal thing.
Caldwell isn't getting fired fella's. They will give him another shot at a HC before firing him.

Since OP mentioned my name, I'm contractually obligated to appear in this thread...

I actually don't think there is an overwhelming need to do it. I'm not a fan of projecting greater numbers for players based on half of a season of work. Lee has had a very nice year because expectations were low and his hammies haven't burst into flames. The issue you come across is that although Lee has been good, he's just that. Solid and reliable, so if you get into a bidding war, he becomes expendable because there are plenty of Marquise Lee's filtering in and out of the league every year. 

Quote:Since OP mentioned my name, I'm contractually obligated to appear in this thread...

I actually don't think there is an overwhelming need to do it. I'm not a fan of projecting greater numbers for players based on half of a season of work. Lee has had a very nice year because expectations were low and his hammies haven't burst into flames. The issue you come across is that although Lee has been good, he's just that. Solid and reliable, so if you get into a bidding war, he becomes expendable because there are plenty of Marquise Lee's filtering in and out of the league every year. 

I agree. Jag fans tend to fall to quickly in love with a guy who looks good over a span of games. Let's see a body of work first and see if he can stay healthy for an extended period of time before even thinking about paying him.
Quote:Since OP mentioned my name, I'm contractually obligated to appear in this thread...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, I'm not sure what you're watching. He's one of the best players on this offense, Blake has literally missed him on 4-5 long TD passes, just imagine if we hit on those? The perception of Marqise Lee would be much different, I disagree that "Marqise Lee" type players are "filtering" in and out of the league every year, this guy was the best player in college football just 3-4 years ago, injuries have been the only thing that has slowed down his progression. The Jags have a unique opportunity here, lock up a guy (for cheap) who's arrow is clearly pointing up.

Lee has had a nice year because he beats the guy defending him on nearly every single down.  Sure - his health finally holding up is a major factor, but his level of play easily surpasses "solid." 

His production would clearly be much greater with a more accurate QB. 

I also don't see two-time Biletnikoff award winning receivers that run a 4.4 forty "filtering in and out of the league every year."  His athleticism is more rare than you suggest IMO. 

His injury history will keep his price in check somewhat and the Jags have money.  Seems like a no-brainer to me. 
Quote:I agree. Jag fans tend to fall to quickly in love with a guy who looks good over a span of games. Let's see a body of work first and see if he can stay healthy for an extended period of time before even thinking about paying him.

There's nothing wrong with this approach, however the risk is you lose him to free agency, where a bidding war is likely to ensue. I'd rather lock him up (at a discount) right now, and bet on him staying healthy, it seems like the issues with his hamstrings etc... were fluky. There have been plenty of players (Jimmy Smith comes to mind) that couldn't stay healthy there first 2-4 years in the league, only to "blow up" afterwards. Lee has all the makings for that type of player.
Quote:Lee has had a nice year because he beats the guy defending him on nearly every single down.  Sure - his health finally holding up is a major factor, but his level of play easily surpasses "solid." 

His production would clearly be much greater with a more accurate QB. 

I also don't see two-time Biletnikoff award winning receivers that run a 4.4 forty "filtering in and out of the league every year."  His athleticism is more rare than you suggest IMO. 

His injury history will keep his price in check somewhat and the Jags have money.  Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Perfectly stated sir
Quote:There's nothing wrong with this approach, however the risk is you lose him to free agency, where a bidding war is likely to ensue. I'd rather lock him up (at a discount) right now, and bet on him staying healthy, it seems like the issues with his hamstrings etc... were fluky. There have been plenty of players (Jimmy Smith comes to mind) that couldn't stay healthy there first 2-4 years in the league, only to "blow up" afterwards. Lee has all the makings for that type of player.

In my opinion, this is the thought pattern of losing franchises. You can't keep everybody, and that is why you count on your GM to draft well and account for this. The Jags have managed their cap pretty well, and if Lee has earned the type of respect around the league that would cause a bidding war, the Jags would be in a great position to retain his services. Lee is not going to take it personal if the Jags don't extend him.
Quote:In my opinion, this is the thought pattern of losing franchises. You can't keep everybody, and that is why you count on your GM to draft well and account for this. The Jags have managed their cap pretty well, and if Lee has earned the type of respect around the league that would cause a bidding war, the Jags would be in a great position to retain his services. Lee is not going to take it personal if the Jags don't extend him.

This is the point of the thread, I should've worded as "the Jaguars would be wise to lock up Marqise Lee right now", if they extend him before he reaches free agency there won't be a "bidding war".
Quote:This is the point of the thread, I should've worded as "the Jaguars would be wise to lock up Marqise Lee right now", if they extend him before he reaches free agency there won't be a "bidding war".

But my point is, there is nothing wrong with a bidding war if a player has warranted it. I'd rather see him continue to develop at the risk of having to pay a little more to keep him than paying to keep him and he doesn't pan out.

Bottom line, I am in NO RUSH to pay ANYBODY on the current roster outside of maybe Allen Robinson.
Lee was taken before Robinson and he's shown why this year that was the case. He'll get his extension. Next year this offense will be retooled with a new coaching staff and quarterback. Hopefully we start winning some games. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5