Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: State of the AFCS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So is it me or does the entire division look bad?

Houston got shut out by NO. Their defense will keep them afloat, but who knows what Savage/Watson will become. 

Tennessee just had their first team worked by the Bears. Mariota's "slimmed down speed" resulted in 2 sacks and their defense still seems spotty in the secondary. Still don't think Mariota will last the entire year. 

Jax, well, our run defense has gone to hell, but we'll see. Our defense on paper puts us in line with Houston, however we have the same issue at QB. Albeit with more offensive playmakers, but that does no good without being able to get them the ball. Plus the OL isn't looking good. 

Indy is bad pretty much all around, especially with Luck not being healthy. To top that off, once Luck comes back, they're down to their 3rd string Center and didn't make many OL upgrades. 

The division will be won at either 8-8 or 9-7 again, and honestly, any of the teams could take it depending on how the ball bounces this year.
I don't think preseason is an accurate way to gauge how a team or group of teams will perform in the regular season.

But it is strange that I haven't seen many reports regarding how the top picks are doing.

Besides Watson, has anyone seen many updates on Corey Davis, Adoree Jackson, Malik Hooker, Quincy Wilson and the texans' 2nd rounder are doing?

I've heard Davs has a hamstring, and Jackson has struggled somewhat learning CB but he's a good returner.

Other than that...nothing.
I know it's preseason, but the third game usually says something, and the titans and texans both looked like last year's Jaguars, in the third preseason game. The division is weaker than people think, could be another eight win AFCS champ this year.
Mariota was pretty up and down today. Had at least 5 or 6 really bad over throws.
(08-27-2017, 05:38 PM)Protozoa Wrote: [ -> ]Mariota was pretty up and down today. Had at least 5 or 6 really bad over throws.

That's all it takes to beat him. Shut down the run and short pass game and make him beat you by throwing deep and outside. He and Watson both struggle to make those throws
Indy Star's Bob Kravitz on the Colts...

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-even...he-returns
(08-28-2017, 07:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Indy Star's Bob Kravitz on the Colts...

Remember when everyone here wanted Stephen Morris to start?
(08-28-2017, 07:28 AM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2017, 07:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Indy Star's Bob Kravitz on the Colts...

Nope.

It speaks volumes about their current situation.
It's a very weak division. And neither team has honestly been able to flat out runaway with it consistently enough. I think the clots up in indy could be a good team if they dumped Chuck Pagano already. I still feel they should have done that the year he was out with his illness. I know that sounds very insensitive and harsh but the best coach they had at that time was Bruce Arians and they should have kept him as the head coach.
(08-28-2017, 07:28 AM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]

Krapitz is a hack writting turd.....always has been.
Just trying to get some attention.
And if Luck isn't starting the season, Stephen Morris is the obvious choice.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/c...003991.php

(08-28-2017, 08:08 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2017, 07:28 AM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Remember when everyone here wanted Stephen Morris to start?

Krapitz is a hack writting turd.....always has been.
Just trying to get some attention.
And if Luck isn't starting the season, Stephen Morris is the obvious choice.

So what did he write that was untrue?  Not giving you grief here...just genuinely want to know.

Adoree Jackson had a rough start for the Tacks against the Bears...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/n...604216001/
(08-27-2017, 04:59 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]So is it me or does the entire division look bad?

yeah, where you been, it's been the worst division in all of NFL for sometime.  when the experts picked the Jags  to win the division before the last season started and they say the jags can win the division with competent qb play,  the division is the worst in the nfl.
(08-28-2017, 10:46 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2017, 04:59 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]So is it me or does the entire division look bad?

yeah, where you been, it's been the worst division in all of NFL for sometime.  when the experts picked the Jags  to win the division before the last season started and they say the jags can win the division with competent qb play,  the division is the worst in the nfl.

Well yeah. I just meant it looks like it even took a step backwards from last year.
Anybody hear Colin Cowherd on the radio earlier today?

He pretty much thinks Andrew Luck's career is done. He thinks the injuries are more serious than they are admitting and they'll never be the same.

Not saying I believe that or not, but if it were true, imagine the Colts getting the #1 overall pick again and selecting the next great QB...again.
(08-28-2017, 03:50 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote: [ -> ]Anybody hear Colin Cowherd on the radio earlier today?  

He pretty much thinks Andrew Luck's career is done.  He thinks the injuries are more serious than they are admitting and they'll never be the same.

Not saying I believe that or not, but if it were true, imagine the Colts getting the #1 overall pick again and selecting the next great QB...again.

It wouldn't surprise me. He hasn't looked right since halfway through 2015 and still isn't throwing. I'd have to imagine he gets another 2-3 years before there's an out in that contract. 

I know Brees came back from a bad shoulder, but he's the exception for sure. I hope Luck stays healthy and mediocre keeping Indy in cap hell and QB purgatory for the next 10 years.
Almost all of Houston's offensive skill position starters were out due to injuries and let's be honest here, it's kinda hard to focus on a exhibition football game when you're worried about your family back home and your home may be under water.
(08-29-2017, 06:46 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]Almost all of Houston's offensive skill position starters were out due to injuries and let's be honest here, it's kinda hard to focus on a exhibition football game when you're worried about your family back home and your home may be under water.

Yeah.

You guys in Houston and the surrounding areas hang in there.