Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Even I Agree This Is OverThe Line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Georgia police officer at DUI stop: 'We only kill black people'

A lieutenant from a police department in Georgia is under investigation after a dash-cam video obtained by Channel 2 Action News appears to show the officer telling a driver during a DUI stop, “Remember, we only kill black people.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/30/geo...eople.html
(08-31-2017, 09:11 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Georgia police officer at DUI stop: 'We only kill black people'

A lieutenant from a police department in Georgia is under investigation after a dash-cam video obtained by Channel 2 Action News appears to show the officer telling a driver during a DUI stop, “Remember, we only kill black people.”

uhh if that is supposed to be a joke or satire its not funny and he needs to be fired.  If he is being for real he needs to get kicked the hell out of the police force.  Police like that make the job that much more dangerous for every other cop out there.
(08-31-2017, 09:11 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Georgia police officer at DUI stop: 'We only kill black people'

Wow.  This guy really doesn't value his career, which no doubt is about to come to an abrupt end. Even if it's a joke, he knows he's being recorded. What an idiot.
Courtesy of the police officers union, he'll probably get a slap on the wrist, a couple weeks of vacat-err-paid leave, then spend a month at a desk before being sent right back out. Happy Labor Day!
I'm confused as to why the thread starts with "Even I agree....."

That you were initially confused as to if this was over the line or not?
(08-31-2017, 12:51 PM)Frailbones Wrote: [ -> ]I'm confused as to why the thread starts with "Even I agree....."

That you were initially confused as to if this was over the line or not?

No I was not.....

I have a sarcastic sense of humor but this crossed the line IMO
The second stanza in the culture wars begins when the institution begins to push back.
I know I'll be against the grain here and be criticized, but the video doesn't show the whole thing.  A drunk woman is pulled over and "afraid to move her hands" based on videos that she's seen where cops kill "innocent people".

I would like to see a full video of the stop showing why it was made and the entire interaction.

From the short clip that was shown, it sounds like the officer was kind of "mocking" her and the whole BLM thing.

I'm not saying that the officer was wrong or right, but this seems to be a cherry-picked kind of thing that doesn't tell the whole story.
(08-31-2017, 04:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I know I'll be against the grain here and be criticized, but the video doesn't show the whole thing.  A drunk woman is pulled over and "afraid to move her hands" based on videos that she's seen where cops kill "innocent people".

I would like to see a full video of the stop showing why it was made and the entire interaction.

From the short clip that was shown, it sounds like the officer was kind of "mocking" her and the whole BLM thing.

I'm not saying that the officer was wrong or right, but this seems to be a cherry-picked kind of thing that doesn't tell the whole story.

Snowflakes can't handle the sarcasm they love to claim is the birthright of their generation.
(08-31-2017, 04:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2017, 04:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I know I'll be against the grain here and be criticized, but the video doesn't show the whole thing.  A drunk woman is pulled over and "afraid to move her hands" based on videos that she's seen where cops kill "innocent people".

Snowflakes can't handle the sarcasm they love to claim is the birthright of their generation.

The thing is, in my experience when dealing with drunk people, sometimes you have to say "sarcastic" and/or "fairy tales" to them in order to keep them calm and eventually get them to comply with your request(s).

I suspect that this was the case here.  The clip was "cherry picked" by the media to illustrate or portray a different narrative.

There's a time and a place for off-color jokes. I tell them all the time. At the right time. In the right place. What you might say to your buddies in a bar and what a police officer should be saying during a traffic stop are two very different things. I hope you can see the broad blue line there.
He was being sarcastic, but it's a stupid thing to say. Even the defense attorney who told the news about it said he knew the officer was being sarcastic. Either way, it's hard to keep someone employed after saying something like that. The perception alone is bad. They were going to fire him, but he retired instead.
Also, just to shed some light on it, the encounter started when he stopped someone and tried getting her out of the car because she was drunk. She refused to get out and kept her hands up (a white lady). She said she was too scared to move because police are shooting people. He mocked her opinion and simultaneously tried to convince her to get out of the car by saying they only shoot black people.

The complete statement was, "But you're not black. Remember, we only kill black people. Yeah, we only kill black people, right?"

He absolutely is mocking the BLM thing.

And he is absolutely wrong in every way.  

If you can't see that he has put his own credibility at issue in any contested matter, as well as his fellow officers by association, then you are clueless.

He is now a liability, one which most prosecutors would have to keep off the stand or put at risk legitimate prosecutions, not to mention civil cases.
(08-31-2017, 09:11 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Georgia police officer at DUI stop: 'We only kill black people'

CNN headline, "Confirmed!".
There are some things you don't 'joke' or be sarcastic about. Ever. This is one of them.  Wallbash
(08-31-2017, 10:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]There are some things you don't 'joke' or be sarcastic about. Ever. This is one of them.  Wallbash

Sacred Cows make the best hamburgers.
(08-31-2017, 07:28 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]He was being sarcastic, but it's a stupid thing to say. Even the defense attorney who told the news about it said he knew the officer was being sarcastic. Either way, it's hard to keep someone employed after saying something like that. The perception alone is bad. They were going to fire him, but he retired instead.
(08-31-2017, 07:33 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]Also, just to shed some light on it, the encounter started when he stopped someone and tried getting her out of the car because she was drunk. She refused to get out and kept her hands up (a white lady). She said she was too scared to move because police are shooting people. He mocked her opinion and simultaneously tried to convince her to get out of the car by saying they only shoot black people.

The complete statement was, "But you're not black. Remember, we only kill black people. Yeah, we only kill black people, right?"

That's exactly my point.  Let's see a complete video of why she was pulled over and show how she was reacting/responding to the officer.  Lets see the video of her getting out of the car (assuming that she did) and see her conduct.  Let's listen to what she was saying and look at her demeanor.  I wonder what her BAC was?  None of this is given in this story.

I'm not by any means saying that the officer was right for saying what he did, but the fact of the matter is that "stupid" or sarcastic things get said to drunks all the time by police officers.

This video was clearly "cherry picked" to show only a very small segment of the whole traffic stop.

Nobody is "shocked" or "appalled" by the fact that this lady was driving drunk and was a danger to others.  Nobody actually thinks about the good that this officer did by taking her off the road and preventing her from killing somebody.

His unwise comment may have cost him his job, but at the same time it could have saved somebody's life.
It's all about PC and nothing more.