Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hackett's Play Calling 8/31
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For what it's worth....

I thought the play calling last night was significantly better. A lot of stuff that would fit into Bortles' wheelhouse as well. Rollouts, PA, delayed hand-offs. I hope to see some of that continue. We actually threw the ball on first down a few times which was nice to see. There were some situations which were vanilla and predictable, but there were spots where it looked like Hackett at least has some ideas.
I saw a tweet that we ran the ball 127 times this preseason and passed 122 times. Food for thought
If your coordinators are frequently calling plays that aren't "vanilla" with their starters in preseason weeks one through three, then they are tipping their hand. I don't ever want to see that. That would be really stupid.
I was actually a little bothered that they called the fake punt TBH.

Analyzing playcalling in the preseason is a fool's errand IMO.

And, of course Hackett "has ideas." He made Olson's playbook almost palatable, and now has his own to work from.
I'd still like to have a bonfire and burn all the fade routes from inside the 10.
(09-01-2017, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]If your coordinators are frequently calling plays that aren't "vanilla" with their starters in preseason weeks one through three, then they are tipping their hand.  I don't ever want to see that. That would be really stupid.

And, of course Hackett "has ideas." He made Olson's playbook almost palatable, and now has his own to work from.

only good thing about the fake punt is that it should have a lasting effect on our punt protection the rest of the season, which has been bad the last few years.
(09-01-2017, 11:10 AM)realtorpat Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2017, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]...

only good thing about the fake punt is that it should have a lasting effect on our punt protection the rest of the season, which has been bad the last few years.

True. Good point.
(09-01-2017, 11:20 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2017, 11:10 AM)realtorpat Wrote: [ -> ]only good thing about the fake punt is that it should have a lasting effect on our punt protection the rest of the season, which has been bad the last few years.

True. Good point.

I get yours as well, don't give away the tricks in the preseason, and don't show too much of your scheme.  That one was a pretty standard fake punt run that I'm sure every team has a version of.   I just want to go one year without one of our kicks or punts blocked.
(09-01-2017, 10:52 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I saw a tweet that we ran the ball 127 times this preseason and passed 122 times. Food for thought

We ran the ball 5 more times than we passed.

[Image: Algorithm.jpe]
Play calling and preseason should not be discussed together. Ever.