Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who makes it on the DL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've touched on most of the position groups, but the DL is the toughest... especially at DE.

In another thread, I mentioned keeping only 9 OLs instead of 10 because that's not where our talent is... our talent is on the DL which has me thinking we'll keep 9 DLs instead of only 8. For me, the easiest way to figure out the numbers is to rank them. I'll start with the top 8, and keep in mind that in doing this I'm projecting Lerentee McCray to make the roster at SLB...

1. Malik Jackson
  2. Calais Campbell
  3. Yannick Ngakoue
  4. Abry Jones
  5. Sheldon Day
  6. Dante Fowler
  7. Stephan Charles
  8. Dawuane Smoot
These 8 should make it, but I do think they keep one more considering how many more names are still on the roster. In other words, the last guy can be any of the following listed alphabetically...
  • Michael Bennett
  • Hunter Dimick
  • Malliciah Goodman
  • Kevin Maurice
  • Carroll Phillips
  • Jonathan Woodard
Which one of these six DLs takes that final roster spot? That's a tough question.
I think Bennett is the pick because McCray can fill in at DE in a pinch, with Woodard and Phillips candidates for the PS. I do agree that they will keep 9 DL and only 8-9 OL because the talent level is simply that much better.
(09-02-2017, 09:02 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think Bennett is the pick because McCray can fill in at DE in a pinch, with Woodard and Phillips candidates for the PS.  I do agree that they will keep 9 DL and only 8-9 OL because the talent level is simply that much better.

I think it's Goodman because of his versatility.  This is a really interesting battle.
Goodman and Maurice are potential keepers IMO. Bennett too, but they may be ready to move on there.
I'd just keep your top eight. Instead keep Shane Wynn, or an open roster spot for a free agent pickup.
I think the ninth DL, if there is one, is not on the team yet.

I also think McCray has some potential in a...wait for it...LEO type of role.
The only reason Smoot is making this team is that he was a high draft choice.. Goodman and Maurice outplayed him all summer
(09-02-2017, 09:02 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think Bennett is the pick because McCray can fill in at DE in a pinch, with Woodard and Phillips candidates for the PS.  I do agree that they will keep 9 DL and only 8-9 OL because the talent level is simply that much better.

I can see your logic here.

Regarding the PS, there are four solid candidates here with Hunter Dimick, Kevin Maurice, Carroll Phillips and Jonathan Woodard

[*]Malliciah Goodman