Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Time for Dawuane Smoot to make an impact
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's time for Dawuane Smoot to make an impact.  After being silent for most of training camp and pre-season, he needs to show why he was a high 3rd round pick.  We passed on some starting quality interior linemen for him, so I expect something from him that I haven't seen yet.

Anyone else feel the same way?  He hasn't shown me anything yet.  Here's hoping he plays well.
I doubt we see much from him this year. Hopefully he can learn from Campbell though
He was actually pretty productive in preseason. We didn't hear much because of bigger standouts like Dede. Hopefull the jags do well enough to see him on obvious run plays in the later quarters.
Maybe 2 years from now. Not this year. Pass rushers take time, and he wasn't a 1st round pick.
(09-10-2017, 12:06 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]He was actually pretty productive in preseason. We didn't hear much because of bigger standouts like Dede. Hopefull the jags do well enough to see him on obvious run plays in the later quarters.

Didn't he lead the team in tackles thru the first 3 games?
If Smoot is needed to make an impact that means something bad happened to Calais. There aren't very many snaps available for the back up big end.
Damn y'all expect pass rushers to be good in the NFL after being pro for months. He was a 3rd round pick. Not everyone comes out guns blazing. Hell, even JJ Watt didn't.
Not saying I expect Ngakoue numbers his first year, but I want to see him do something, flash a little bit, make some impact plays that get me excited for the future. Don't just be a body, don't be another Andre Branch.
I wouldn't expect too much in the way of numbers from Smoot. He's now entrenched as the backup strongside DE behind Calais, and at that position the mindset is to stop the run first and pass rush second. It's sort of the opposite mindset at RDE where they dropped the word "LEO" but not the mentality. 
I look forward to more playtime for Sheldon Day this year!!
(09-09-2017, 11:40 PM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]It's time for Dawuane Smoot to make an impact.  After being silent for most of training camp and pre-season, he needs to show why he was a high 3rd round pick.  We passed on some starting quality interior linemen for him, so I expect something from him that I haven't seen yet.

Anyone else feel the same way?  He hasn't shown me anything yet.  Here's hoping he plays well.

He's a backup, backing up Calais Campbell, and he's a rookie, and rookie DEs usually don't show much in their first year. 

So no, he's not going to do much.  He's here on potential.   All I expect is that he'll work hard and get better over time, and come in to spell the starters.

(09-10-2017, 05:50 AM)nhiverson Wrote: [ -> ]I look forward to more playtime for Sheldon Day this year!!

Me, too.   He looks like he has loads of potential.   This could be his year to make a big step forward.
Lol he will be lucky to be active
(09-10-2017, 01:31 AM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 12:06 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]He was actually pretty productive in preseason. We didn't hear much because of bigger standouts like Dede. Hopefull the jags do well enough to see him on obvious run plays in the later quarters.

Didn't he lead the team in tackles thru the first 3 games?
Without looking I think he may have been just behind Brown...or maybe I have it flipped.
Blair Brown - 17 preseason tackles
Smoot   -  9

(Cap Capi - 13)   Tongue Banana
He couldn't contain watson on the potential pick six.

Only time I saw him today.
(09-10-2017, 05:12 PM)cdnjagfan14 Wrote: [ -> ]He couldn't contain watson on the potential pick six.

The fact he didn't put Watson on his [BLEEP] there was not a good sign. He literally got blocked by a QB.
(09-10-2017, 05:12 PM)cdnjagfan14 Wrote: [ -> ]He couldn't contain watson on the potential pick six.

He had one nice tackle on a run I saw. But yea, not being able to block for Gipson sucked lol.

He got a couple of good rushes today when spelling Calais. If this is your only complaint of him I'll take it.
(09-10-2017, 05:14 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

The fact he didn't put Watson on his [BLEEP] there was not a good sign. He literally got blocked by a QB.

It was the QB, touch him and he gets ejected from the game.
(09-10-2017, 06:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 05:14 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]The fact he didn't put Watson on his [BLEEP] there was not a good sign. He literally got blocked by a QB.

It was the QB, touch him and he gets ejected from the game.

Not how it works when a QB is running down the field trying to make a tackle. That Smoot couldn't shove him to the ground isn't good.
Pages: 1 2 3