Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If Bortles blows this game is he done?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If this gets ugly quick what's the chances he starts week 2?
The Henne experiment was already concluded, and the only potential savior, Brandon Allen, is now with the Rams. So, I don't see anything changing as far as Bortles starting unless he's injured or roster moves at the position occur. 
How insane would it be if he went for 325 and 4TDs?! Pipe dreamsssssss
Leave him in no matter.

Because Darnold.

(09-10-2017, 02:44 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: [ -> ]How insane would it be if he went for 325 and 4TDs?! Pipe dreamsssssss

Laughing
I hope they encourage him to scramble early on. That should extent some drives at least and keep their defense on the field. Play like we're behind!!
Doesn't darnold have a screwed up motion too or is that someone else?
Yes. If Blake has a bad game behind a weak offensive line against one of the league's best pass rushers he should be cut by the third quarter. I'm sure Henne will make everything better again.
Bortles has been done where just biding our time until the 2018 draft. As far as next week, I believe the team will give him at least 6 games before we are desperate enough to start Henne. Replacing Bortles with Henne isn't going to help us at all. It's like the blind, leading the blind.
(09-10-2017, 02:35 AM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]If this gets ugly quick what's the chances he starts week 2?

It might be one of those situations where he's not the starter for game 2, then Henne struggles, and we go back to Bortles in game 3, and so on and so forth for the entire year.
lets not forget Jags are going againest  one of the top defenses from last year. its not going to be a easy game. winning is always possbille. lets forget about one player,its a team. weres your team spirit?

I have mine right here. 

https://youtu.be/lYAtMYIgpi8
(09-10-2017, 02:44 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: [ -> ]How insane would it be if he went for 325 and 4TDs?! Pipe dreamsssssss

Well, it's not like he hasn't had games like that before which is part of the problem.  He'll follow it up with a 138 yards, 0 tds/4 turnover game.
I just want to see him throw some nice short safe passes. Just manage the game.
I think they'll give him a few bad games before going with Henne.

Today's game would be really tough on any QB with this line
As bad QBs go, Bortles is the way to go. We know he can throw for 300 yds and a couple TDs. He is also going to throw 2 ints and fumble at inopportune times. I will take that this year as we wait for a high draft pick. Thats better than yanking him and gong with the guy (any guy) who throws for 140 and gets passes knocked down at the line and faces an 8 man front everytime (Henne, Gabbert, etc)
(09-10-2017, 08:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think they'll give him a few bad games before going with Henne.

Today's game would be really tough on any QB with this line

^Agree.

Bortles has a much shorter leash this season with Marrone  (presumably). But, BB will have to look bad for 4-5-6 games before they'd yank him and make any QB switch, IMO. 

We'll see. The obvious hope is that it doesn't get to that point because Bortles is playing well, or at least decent in most games.
If the plan for this game is to put it on Bortles shoulders then it's a bad plan. If Bortles just can't handle handing the ball off forty-plus times and only throwing in favorable situations then it's a terrible sign, but Henne isn't the answer.

Time for Marrone to show he was worth hiring.
(09-10-2017, 02:35 AM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]If this gets ugly quick what's the chances he starts week 2?

100%.  The only thing ousting him as the starter after week one is injury.
I don't see it happening anytime soon. He would have to throw back-to-back-to-back-to-back pick sixes in this game IMHO before Marrone decides to bench him. And even if he did bench him you know the post game would read something like "Marrone unsure who will start this Sunday, but we'll know more later on this week". By Wednesday Bortles is named the starter again.

The front office made their bed with Bortles earlier this off-season. It's done at this point. It is what it is for them and us as the fan base. We're going to gamble on him. No matter what happens just get comfortable watching college QB's on Saturday's this year. I've been keeping an eye on the big games. Oklahoma and Ohio St. put on a great game last night.

Baker Mayfield is worth a look. He did great last night. Very impressed with the kid. He's exciting, tough (took some big licks in that game, kept getting up) and he keeps that team fired up and inspired. There's a lot to like about that kid. I would also keep an eye out on Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold too.

This is going to be a good year of college football because of the great QB play right now out there. We're bound to get lucky and land one of those kids at some point in 2018. 2018 might have the potential first round quality turnout that 2004 had with Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers. If we can land Jackson, Mayfield, Rosen or Donald this team should be better.

Plan A sounds great

Plan B  Would solve a bunch of calamity JJ Watt steps on BB 5 injured hand thus paving the way to Tanking
The Bortles/Henne experiment happened and Jags fans should have got a goo reminder that Henne is not and will not be a savior. The only chance Henne has of cracking the starting roster is if Bortles gets injured. I'm amazed this is even still a topic of conversation.
Pages: 1 2