Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey since we're throwing everyone else accolades, we better throw some Dave Caldwell's way.  While watching the game today and seeing all of these players show out, (Yannik, Fowler, Gipson, Ramsey, Bouye, Campbell, Malik, etc), I couldn't help but think that the majority of these guys are Dave Caldwell guys.  Maybe Dave knew what he was doing a little more than they most of us were giving him credit for a week ago.  I know it's the first game, but if today was any indication at all, this team is going to be better than most of us expected.  Go Jags!
I just posted something similar in another thread. Guy gets such a massive amount of flack and this team is bursting with talent
Craptastic coaching and poor discipline was holding back much of this roster.
It was a great game today but chill out before we announce Caldwell mvp. It's one game.
(09-10-2017, 08:24 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]It was a great game today but chill out before we announce Caldwell mvp.  It's one game.

[Image: Ironic._My_stupid_attempt_at_a_new_meme....552920.jpg]
(09-10-2017, 08:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Craptastic coaching and poor discipline was holding back much of this roster.

It wasn't a mirage that the team instantly got better and seemed to be tougher once Sprinkles left the building last year.
Tom should always make the first pick and let Dave have some say so on the rest

(09-10-2017, 08:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Craptastic coaching and poor discipline was holding back much of this roster.

yep
Caldwell gets a lot of hate but as far as draft goes, he drafted almost everybody in the spot they were expected to go or got guys who were expected to go higher, its not his fault if some of those guys just didnt work out, he never really over drafted like Gene Smith.

Now he has gave out some bad contracts, but we have had so much money it didnt cost us financially
(09-10-2017, 09:05 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: [ -> ]Caldwell gets a lot of hate but as far as draft goes, he drafted almost everybody in the spot they were expected to go or got guys who were expected to go higher, its not his fault if some of those guys just didnt work out, he never really over drafted like Gene Smith.

Now he has gave out some bad contracts, but we have had so much money it didnt cost us financially

Yeah, Yeldon in is by far his worst pick.  Was way overdrafted.  He did come from Alabama though so def. not like a Gene pick
He still picked a turd in Bortles and brought in a bum kicker in Myers.
(09-10-2017, 10:35 PM)Vino Wrote: [ -> ]He still picked a turd in Bortles and brought in a bum kicker in Myers.

Fowler sucks and is a bust too right?
Caldwell was not part of the problem in the equation. It's easy to criticize Bortles now, but during his draft a lot of draftniks had him in the early first, definitely b4 Carr. Myers is pretty crappy tho, is Long Ding still available ?
Giving accolades to a guy who found talent drafting in the top 10 his entire tenure after winning 1 game seems a little overzealous, eh?

Let's not forget Caldwell could have fired Gus at anytime of he felt he was "tainting his talent".
While I realize that GM's have to fill team needs I do wish DC would lean a bit more toward BAP
(09-10-2017, 10:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 10:35 PM)Vino Wrote: [ -> ]He still picked a turd in Bortles and brought in a bum kicker in Myers.

Fowler sucks and is a bust too right?

What does Fowler have to do with Bortles and Myers?
(09-10-2017, 10:45 PM)Vino Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2017, 10:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Fowler sucks and is a bust too right?

What does Fowler have to do with Bortles and Myers?

I remember your posts about how bad Fowler is and he is a bust
The talent potential that we thought was on the team showed up today. That's the GM's job right? Get as many talented players on the team as possible? Seems like he should get nothing less than a pat on the back for now.

He's made plenty of mistakes and we will likely still be replacing Bortles with another 1st round pick...but I also think he has learned from his mistakes and become a better GM.

Bortles is not as bad as Alfie makes him out to be. He had a bad year in 2016, but shattered the team TD pass record in 2015. We need to give him a chance under a coaching staff that doesn't reward mediocrity with atta boys before we can truly judge him.

Myers was a camp leg who ended up beating out Scobee. It's the coaching staff that had the say on Myers.