Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Commit to Blake or not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Great win by the entire team exceeding expectations!

The team is obviously going to use the "ground and pound" approach, eat away at the clock, while playing good defense. Clearly this will take some pressure off Blake. He had a solid game. Didn't win the game but didn't lose it either. Managed the game very well and no turnovers. 

So my question is...if Blake has a "solid" season does the team bring him back? Would they rather use the $$$ on a guy like Cousins potentially? Maybe a draft pick in a supposedly excellent QB class? 

Given a "solid" but not great season are you ready to commit to Blake??
Why bring up a next off season question after one week?
I'm confident this team is preparing to move on from Blake next year. If he develops enough to make them think twice about it or allow them to sit a rookie for a while behind him, that's wonderful, but they won't be thinking "staus quo" with Blake in 2018.

He'd have to have a remarkable season to turn their thinking in that direction.
(09-11-2017, 01:10 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Why bring up a next off season question after one week?
Some like to take one game at a time. Others a season at a time.

Me, I prefer to enjoy every game but always think ahead. I can do both.
If he has a pretty decent season why would you step away from him? Why would you risk the chance of bringing in someone that fails. I would be fine with taking a QB in the second or third round if Bortles has a solid season.
Regardless of how this season pans out, you can bet Coughlin already has a QB plan in the works for next year. Bortles is not a Coughlin type of guy.
If less of Blake = the best version of Blake, you need to find someone new.
If the Jags can continue to sport the type of style they showed yesterday  (strong defense and running game), putting Blake in a situation to "manage" the game,, he's gonna be plenty good enough for that. He looked good yesterday in what he was asked to do.

If he continues this,, great! That's wonderful. But, they should still take a QB next year. If Blake looks good this year, and the next season or two after that, maybe that will finally allow the team to let a decent young prospect actually "groom" as a backup behind Blake for a while, instead of being thrown in the fire.

If Blake continues to look good, then you have a good prospect to take over if there's an injury to BB,, a guy to replace BB down the line in a few seasons,, or have a QB to get food value out of in a trade or something if Bortles succeeds in bien if a solid QB for the franchise for a long time (that would be ideal).

You still gotta take one though, just in case the whole QB thing goes "South" in a hurry. Knowing Blake and Henne,, it's a real.possibility.

^ *** get good value
*** succeeds in being
Too early
Problem could be you would have to pay Blake to keep him past this season. This is waaay too early let's wait awhile.
(09-11-2017, 10:50 AM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]Problem could be you would have to pay Blake to keep him past this season.  This is waaay too early let's wait awhile.

They took next year's option already, he's here at least 2 years.
(09-11-2017, 11:09 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 10:50 AM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]Problem could be you would have to pay Blake to keep him past this season.  This is waaay too early let's wait awhile.

They took next year's option already, he's here at least 2 years.

Can still cut him as long as he don't get hurt
After 1 game...

I'm still not sold (after defending so hard and jumping ship... I can't realistically jump back on board after 21 attempts and a 6 ypa)

HOWEVER...

A couple drops hurt his stats... he looked poised but wasn't really under pressure much.

I do think Bortles could have a season that would force the team into hard offseason decisions.
Maybe play out 5th year AND draft a QB in the 2nd or something...

But for now... I'm going back to really enjoying that win.
Our D was nasty. Commit to those guys for sure.
He'd need an MVP type season for me to keep him passed this season. He's just not worth $19 million and much better options will be available.
How many teams could potentially draft a QB in the 1st in 2018?

New York Jets?
San Francisco 49ers?
Buffalo Bill's?
Washington Redskins?
Arizona Cardinals?
Pittsburg Steelers?
Jacksonville Jaguars?

Any others?

Note: Cousins will probably be with one of these teams
There will be crucial situational moments where we will need Blake to earn his money. I think the system supports his ability to do that but time will tell. You can't commit to anything based off of just the first game. If we are a winning team then I think you have to keep him around for continuity.
This is supposed to be the best QB class since 1983, so you could see anywhere from 5-8 QB's go in the first round.  I would expect the Jags to draft one, and depending on how the season plays out, that could mean having to move up in the draft to get their guy. 
There will be some guys available in free agency - A.J. McCarron, Jimmy G, Cousins, but that is going to be an awfully expensive route. 
The Jags cap room goes down in 2018 to $14M if they keep Bortles at his $19M price tag, so that doesn't leave as much room to re-sign ARob, Telvin Smith, Lee.  Then again, with the cap carryover from 2017 the Jags should be able to keep who they want, and if they had to they could get rid of some overpriced contracts like Chris Ivory and Mercedes Lewis to free up even more they could.
I think you have to commit, at least for this year...Henne sure isn't going to be any better on the field.
Let's see how this year pans out first. I stand by my position before the season started; the team needs to draft a QB. Blake's level of play this year should determine which round they draft one in.
If we had Drew Brees, we would make a deep playoff run.
Pages: 1 2