Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Week 2 Game/Jags Return from Houston Affected By Irma (merged)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@profootballtalk Titans-Jaguars could be moved to Nashville -- or to Week Eight https://t.co/xZPsUrfs0r

Hope not
I would rather them swap home games instead of moving it to week 8. I don't want to kill the moment we have now by having a BYE week the second week of the season.
(09-12-2017, 10:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]I would rather them swap home games instead of moving it to week 8. I don't want to kill the moment we have now by having a BYE week the second week of the season.

I think we'd all rather they just play it this weekend, but if they were to swap home games the Jags wouldn't play a game in Jacksonville in September this year and would only play one game in Jacksonville in October.  They'd wind up with 4 out of 5 weeks in December at home.  I'm sure the league is considering this and would opt for the bye week move over the swap if something is to happen.  I'm not sure how the stadium fared during the storm, but assuming the power comes back on for everyone in the next day or so I'd have to believe they're going to play it here at home this weekend.

The bye week move would have the game played in October.  Not ideal, but it seems like the league would probably favor that over the home/away swap.  Not to mention how many people in Nashville have made other plans (boinking their sister, finally getting around to brushing that one tooth they still have, getting their mullett trimmed and looking sharp, etc.) this weekend because the game wasn't originally scheduled there.

EDIT: Just looked and the bye week is the same weekend as the FL/GA game. Ain't happening, folks. I have to believe every effort is made to play the game this weekend assuming the stadium has power and wasn't damaged by the storm.
Quote:Jacksonville is scheduled to host the Tennessee Titans on Sunday. Marrone said officials are assessing damage to EverBank Field and will then determine whether the game will be played as scheduled. It also could get moved to Nashville, Tennessee or postponed to later in the season.

"The first step right now is to make sure our families are fine," Marrone said. "The second step is to make sure we can get back to Jacksonville. The next step is where our work is going to be done and then the next step, I would believe, is if the stadium is safe and things of that nature. ...

"The only thing I know is that people will be checking on the stadium, people will be checking on the fields. They're going to get back to us sometime just to give us a report to where everything is at so we kind of get a little bit of a heads up or a feel of what we're coming back to when we come back to Jacksonville."

The NFL is not close to making a decision regarding this week's games, said Joe Lockhart, the league's senior vice president of communications. Tampa Bay's delayed season opener is scheduled at home against the Chicago Bears on Sunday, and Raymond James Stadium is still being assessed for damage.

"We're having a different conversation than we thought on Friday," Lockhart said earlier on Monday. "Miami and Tampa Bay received less than expected, and Jacksonville probably received more. ... Looking at Jacksonville and Tampa, we don't have any definite word. We're still doing assessments. We hope to have something in next few days."
http://pro32.ap.org/article/jaguars-staying-another-night-houston-because-irma
I do not live in Jacksonville how is the flooding today?
(09-12-2017, 10:54 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]I do not live in Jacksonville how is the flooding today?

A few parts of town they showed on the news this morning that were flooded yesterday were dry today with only some river sludge left in it's place.  I'm not sure if all parts of town have seen the water recede yet though.
I think they'll have downtown ready for a game Sunday. Will probably announce it tomorrow.

Just my gut feeling watching local news and tweets from various local reporters.
That article indicates EverBank Field itself may have major damage. In that case moving it to Nashville is a no-brainer to me. But if it is only minor damage that does not cause safety issues, there is no reason to move the game. Under no circumstances would I propose postponing it to Week 8 because unlike the Buccaneers/Dolphins game we can swap stadiums.
Scratch the later in the season option. The Jags bye week is the same weekend as FL/GA and I don't see how it could be played here that weekend.
Someone commented it is "fake news" because the scoreboard shows it was taken before a preseason game against the Panthers. Does anyone have a real time picture?
(09-12-2017, 11:38 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Someone commented it is "fake news" because the scoreboard shows it was taken before a preseason game against the Panthers. Does anyone have a real time picture?

The picture wasn't taken before that game  -- the scoreboard just hasn't been used since then so they still have those graphics loaded. Look at the field!  Don't you think they'd have the stripes painted if it was the day of a preseason game? 

It's from the local ESPN beat reporter. It's legit. 

[Image: DJh-4GzVYAERHLp.jpg]

Here's more info:

Sam Kouvaris‏ @samkouvaris  2m2 minutes ago

Jaguars headed home. Decision about location of Sunday's game might be to day. Most likely here. (Jax)

"The only thing I know is that people will be checking on the stadium," Marrone said. "People will be checking on the fields, they’re going to get back to us some time today just to give us a report to where everything is at so we kind of get a little bit of a heads up or a feel of what we’re coming back to when we come back to Jacksonville.”

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl.../473933057

The field has excellent drainage so that won't be an issue.

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time knows the routine with flooding. There's plenty of time to dry out enough to where it shouldn't be an issue by Sunday. The surge is receeding as expected and should be good enough to go by Sunday. They need this game to be played at home on this weekend.
They could/should consider flexing the game to Sunday night if they want one more day of sun
Gus Bradley did more damage to Jacksonville than Irma

(09-12-2017, 02:05 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]They could/should consider flexing the game to Sunday night if they want one more day of sun

Don't forget, they need to travel to London (lose 5 more hours due to time zone) for a 9 am kickoff the following Sunday.

(09-12-2017, 02:05 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]They could/should consider flexing the game to Sunday night if they want one more day of sun.

Game flexing is only permitted during the second half of the season. The only reason they do it is to show playoff contenders for more exciting matchups.
(09-12-2017, 02:23 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 02:05 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]They could/should consider flexing the game to Sunday night if they want one more day of sun.

Game flexing is only permitted during the second half of the season. The only reason they do it is to show playoff contenders for more exciting matchups.

Right. Exceptions can't be made in situations like this.  It's etched in stone.