Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How did the o-line become so good so quickly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We saw Doug have them play the whole game in the 3rd pre-season game because he was unimpressed. We see the squad in week one and all the sudden they are the Great Wall of Dallas behind one of the best front 7s in the NFL! Clowney, Watt, Mercilus, etc! What the hell happened?
(09-12-2017, 09:10 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]We saw Doug have them play the whole game in the 3rd pre-season game because he was unimpressed. We see the squad in week one and all the sudden they are the Great Wall of Dallas behind one of the best front 7s in the NFL! Clowney, Watt, Mercilus, etc! What the hell happened?

Play calling helped a lot. Fournette helped make the blocks work. Bortles avoided what rush there was that got through.

Coaching and game planning help a lot of things.
(09-12-2017, 09:10 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]We saw Doug have them play the whole game in the 3rd pre-season game because he was unimpressed. We see the squad in week one and all the sudden they are the Great Wall of Dallas behind one of the best front 7s in the NFL! Clowney, Watt, Mercilus, etc! What the hell happened?

They held their own and stuck to the game plan, I wouldn't say they are good yet.  The FBs and TEs were both phenomenal in run blocking to support them and a lesser back would have gotten about half the yards 4Net got yesterday.

The other thing is I am not of the belief we will ever see DPOY Watt again, I think he is now a shell.  A good shell but not what he was.

With all that said if the line keeps this play up we can do some damage this year, they played great against a very big test to start the season.
(09-12-2017, 09:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Play calling helped a lot. Fournette helped make the blocks work. Bortles avoided what rush there was that got through.

That's literally half the battle, though. If you have coaches who can gameplay your o-line to the strengths of a dominant front seven you have a good staff on hand.
(09-12-2017, 09:19 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 09:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Play calling helped a lot. Fournette helped make the blocks work. Bortles avoided what rush there was that got through.

That's literally half the battle, though. If you have coaches who can gameplay your o-line to the strengths of a dominant front seven you have a good staff on hand.

It's incredibly refreshing after years of extra Sprinkles to have someone in charge that has some idea of what they're doing.

I'm guessing there's some of Coughlin in what's going on right now, but Marrone has been successful as a head coach before, so even once Coughlin really hangs them up and rides off into the sunset I think the team will still be in good hands.
(09-12-2017, 09:29 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 09:19 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]That's literally half the battle, though. If you have coaches who can gameplay your o-line to the strengths of a dominant front seven you have a good staff on hand.

It's incredibly refreshing after years of extra Sprinkles to have someone in charge that has some idea of what they're doing.

I'm guessing there's some of Coughlin in what's going on right now, but Marrone has been successful as a head coach before, so even once Coughlin really hangs them up and rides off into the sunset I think the team will still be in good hands.

Marrone is definitely cut from the same cloth as Coughlin. That hard nosed, old school type of teaching. 

Pretty sure that I read somewhere that Marrone said Coughlin has been his best friend in the building? What better person for a current HC to latch onto then somebody who has been there, done that and seen it all as a HC himself. You really couldn't ask for a better person to talk to, or bounce ideas off of as a HC.
Ignoring fan's whining throughout the offseason and preseason seems to be a part of it. Not to mention ignoring the whiner that is Ryan O
We followed the same run scheme we used in New England in the first preseason game. Which was our only successful preseason game. It isn't an elite rushing attack but it's respectable. A far cry from what we're used to.
It isn't good yet. It's serviceable and hopefully improves as the season goes.
They weren't tipping their hand in preseason.

Marrone knew it was going to take the full kitchen sink to make this an effective run blocking unit and he wasn't going to show that earlier than he had to.

The tacks will be game-planning accordingly. The Jags will probably need to pass a little bit more this week to compliment/open up the run game.
I suppose in game planning a 3-4 defense is practiced against at some point in practice imagine that
IMO they were okay, but not great. Fournette made them look better by fighting for and gaining those extra yards after contact. I don't believe Yeldon or Ivory would have fared as well had they been the only two backs in the game. However, the Jags got out ahead from the start which allowed them stay with the run. Not many pass plays = not many opportunities for sacks. Bortles I thought did well in the pocket with the few opportunities he did have and also converting some key 3rd downs. I also think some credit goes to the defense as the team was able play while holding the lead which helped keep the Texans guessing as to what play was coming next. Overall I thought they pass protected better than they run blocked. That being said, overall they played better than I ever would have expected.
(09-12-2017, 09:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

This

I was saying all preseason once Fournette is back the OL run blocking will look so much better, plus preseason this is no gameplaning and no tape watching
Um, yes they did better than anyone thought, but when you get up 19 to 0 the other team cant just rush the passer over and over. Its yet to be seen just how much they have improved until we are in a closer game
They did well and better than most of us expected. But lets see what happens when we need to pass the ball because we are down 14 points. Thats when a good offensive line shines.
It was one game. I wouldn't call them good just yet.
Doug Juice !
I'm not well versed on the titans dline. I knew much more of what to expect from the Texans. Our o-line was amazing considering the talent on the other side. Is our o-line looking at an easier matchup on Sunday?
(09-12-2017, 09:19 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 09:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Play calling helped a lot. Fournette helped make the blocks work. Bortles avoided what rush there was that got through.

Which makes me wonder: how bad did Gus hamstring Marrone IRT the O-line??
Pages: 1 2