Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Conundrum at WR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What a difference a week makes!

While Jaguars fans are stoked after the surprisingly dominant win over the Texans, there was one negative development that will loom over the rest of the season, the injury to Allen Robinson.

Just the last week of the preseason, there was talk about possibly cutting or trading Allen Hurns, who might have been listed at 6th according to some depth charts.  This was reflective of the perceived improved depth at the position, as Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole showed explosive, defense stretching ability during those games.  Now, Robinson is done for the season, and Westbrook is done for at least eight weeks as he recovers from a "core injury."  So where does that leave the Jaguars' receiving corps now?

Somehow, I can't imagine Hurns being 4th in this depth chart now.

If you assume Hurns and Lee are the starters, it would seem the remainder of the receivers currently on the roster are #2 guys for the most part.  Hurns has the size you want for a #1, and is tough as nails, but doesn't seem to have the physical presence to be a #1.  Lee has speed, but again doesn't have that physical part of the game that Robinson has. 

However, there may be one guy left on the roster that could give the receiver corps an element that can emulate a different type of #1 receiver.  That guy is Keelan Cole.

There are some #1 WRs that are big, physical, and can muscle opposing DBs (Irvin, Julio Jones).  They are the guys who, on 3rd and 7 can get you the 12 yard in or the slant and move the sticks for you.  But there are others who are so fast and so explosive, they can take the top off of defenses.  Because they are so fast, they force most CBs to play off of them and can command safety help over the top.  Lee Evans was that type of guy. The recently retired Steve Smith was that type of guy/   For real old guys like me, Cliff Branch was another guy like that.  Keelan Cole could fall into that category.

Granted, that is a ton of pressure to put on an UDFA rookie out of Kentucky Wesleyan.  He needs to be more consistent with his hands, and Keenan needs to help him develop ways to get off the jam and set up his routes.  He probably won't make that kind of leap until next year.  But if he did manage to make the leap over the course of this year, I think he could be that speed based #1 guy that could open things up for other guys inside.
Hurns needs to be on the outside IMO. But at least we have some pretty good talent at WR. The hard part is getting them all in the correct role.
(09-13-2017, 12:27 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]Hurns needs to be on the outside IMO. But at least we have some pretty good talent at WR. The hard part is getting them all in the correct role.

Given Marrone's 4 game sample at head coach: i'd trust him in getting them in the correct role over Gus....

In 4 games, Doug is a fifth of the way to Gus's all time coaching wins....
They have Lee listed #1 (X) Hurns at #2 (Z most likely) and then Benn, Cole and McCaffery

I think they use Lee and Hurns in 2 WR sets and kick Hurns inside and bring out Cole (or Benn depending on matchup) for 3 WR sets.
You put Cole at Z if you want to stretch the field, Benn at Z if you want possession control.

We'll have to be down on the scoreboard or failing in the run game to see 4WR sets most likely, but I'd guess Benn is your guy there until McCaffery is up to speed with the book.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/depth-chart.html
(09-13-2017, 12:30 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2017, 12:27 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]Hurns needs to be on the outside IMO. But at least we have some pretty good talent at WR. The hard part is getting them all in the correct role.

Given Marrone's 4 game sample at head coach: i'd trust him in getting them in the correct role over Gus....

I counted only three games Doug Marrone coached.

Titans Week 16
Colts Week 17
Texans Week 1
(09-13-2017, 12:40 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2017, 12:30 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Given Marrone's 4 game sample at head coach: i'd trust him in getting them in the correct role over Gus....

I counted only three games Doug Marrone coached.

Titans Week 16
Colts Week 17
Texans Week 1
You're right.....and he's only got 2 wins...not sure where I came up with the third one at???

Either way: in his 3 games coaching, hes had the team looking prepared and ready to execute.
(09-13-2017, 12:45 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2017, 12:40 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]I counted only three games Doug Marrone coached.

Titans Week 16
Colts Week 17
Texans Week 1

You're right.....and he's only got 2 wins...not sure where I came up with the third one at???

Either way: in his 3 games coaching, hes had the team looking prepared and ready to execute.

I know last year he got the players motivated to pay for his job security and they responded. This year, it is all about installing a winning culture. More good times are coming.
Where are all those guys who wanted to trade Hurns for a ham sandwich at now? Just curious....
I think this means Marrone and Hackett will need to and more than likely will get a lot more creative with the personnel packages and play calls. If they can keep leaning on Fournette and Ivory in the ground game. I think we'll be fine in the passing game.

If this team is winning and Bortles and the receiving core end up finishing up like the 2007 roster. I'll take it. Just need the defense to keep doing what it's doing and we'll be in the clear.
We'll be fine in the receiver department. Luckily that has been an area of good depth. The ball needs to be spread around anyways.
In a twisted way. If Marrone and Hackett can pull off an 8 - 8 or better record this year WITHOUT Robinson it kind of gives the front office more bargaining power when it comes to his contract this year. They already have a lot in their favor with him being injured.

I know it sounds bad but his injury may actually benefit the team somehow in the long run.
You know, I never did understand the Hurns-trade talk, when I first heard about it...

True, he's not quite as physical as Robinson, but Hurns proved early as a FA that he was worth keeping. He was even doing a better job on the field than Robinson was, early on in their respective careers. I still think he's got the potential to be dangerous on every play, if Blake can get him the ball.Not to mention his toughness, too....how many nasty licks have we seen him take??

I'm glad Lee's finally come alive and played well last year, but I'm still hoping Hurns can take the lead and get teh other guys to follow his example. Lee wasn't exactly inspiring against the Texans
I think from the standpoint of being "physical" in a 1 on 1 situation maybe, though he's displayed the ability to fight for the balll on inside crossing routes on 1v1s, but the guy has taken a ton of hits over the middle getting hit by 2-3 players at the same time and still holding on to the ball, something Robinson normally never had to deal with because he was given 50/50 balls on the sidelines.

If you wanna say physical and toughness I give the edge to hurns rather than Robinson. Robinson just had the high point on point.
I want to see this McCaffery kid play.
It's a simple solution: Lee becomes the featured receiver, Hurns stays in the slot because I don't believe in having one injury make two positions weaker. Benn and Cole share the 2nd wideout position with McCaffery coming in for specific situational plays.
Fun Fact: Doug Marrone's Jaguars have only trailed for 9 seconds, ever.

In other News: I just audited last week's game and James Lofton is a cordstacking liar.
(09-14-2017, 04:41 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]It's a simple solution: Lee becomes the featured receiver, Hurns stays in the slot because I don't believe in having one injury make two positions weaker. Benn and Cole share the 2nd wideout position with McCaffery coming in for specific situational plays.

You play Hurns when there is 2 WR on the field
Can Hurns ever get back that sweet double move he had as a rook?
(09-13-2017, 12:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]They have Lee listed #1 (X) Hurns at #2 (Z most likely) and then Benn, Cole and McCaffery

I think they use Lee and Hurns in 2 WR sets and kick Hurns inside and bring out Cole (or Benn depending on matchup)  for 3 WR sets.
You put Cole at Z if you want to stretch the field, Benn at Z if you want possession control.  

We'll have to be down on the scoreboard or failing in the run game to see 4WR sets most likely, but I'd guess Benn is your guy there until McCaffery is up to speed with the book.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/depth-chart.html

That makes a ton of sense for the interim.

But, I stick to my premise that if Cole rounds out his game this year, he'll be the #1 by season's end.

(09-15-2017, 12:45 AM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]Can Hurns ever get back that sweet double move he had as a rook?

I sure hope so.

That was sweet.
I had ARob and Kevin White. Replaced those 2 with Hurns amd Lee and added Cole, dropping Jamal Charles, in fantasy. We're opening up the competition for 1 permament roster spot. Hurns is the most logical to play but my gut keeps telling me "...play Cole...".
Pages: 1 2