Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I'm black liberal who voted for Trump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I probably represent .1% of the electorate but I just wanted to use myself as an example that all Trump voters are not disenfranchised white guys. Every now and then there comes a time where the winds of change take over and you have to follow them. While I disagree with many of the positions Trump has taken up as the Republican nominee, I cannot ignore the fact that Trump represents what is first and foremost of importance to me: a rebuking of the establishment. A vote for Trump represents a vote against the way things are right now, and while Trump might not be the best candidate to represent me policy wise, he is still the only candidate that represents a figure outside the establishment. Whatever damage republicans may do to individual rights pales in comparison to putting another establishment figurehead in office. I could not bring myself to vote for a corrupt, establishment criminal for president.
Great post. +1
Herman Cain just said 1% actually turned out to be around 8% according to exit polls.

Roughly 26% for Latinos.
Much respect.

100% agree

Awesome.

Mad respect
Quote:Herman Cain just said 1% actually turned out to be around 8% according to exit polls.

Roughly 26% for Latinos.

Waiting for the Bon Jagley "fact check..."
I wonder how many other black folks feel the same. I appreciate your candor.
Quote:I wonder how many other black folks feel the same. I appreciate your candor.
I can empathize for sure and I know of at least one friend/co-worker of mine who felt similarly. They most assuredly exist only they are quickly silenced and derided by their peers. That's honestly fairly typical of black culture, though. It tends to be more homogeneous than it may appear on the outside regarding many things.

We were talking about it today during a training class during one of our breaks. The amount of sheer vitrol directed her way for supporting Trump last night was, to me, staggering. She knew she'd get no hate from me. I don't hate Trump. I don't hate all of what he stands for (Pence is another matter entirely). I was a little saddened last night but after sleeping on this, I'm in a good place overall although I can't quite verbalize why that is.
Quote:I probably represent .1% of the electorate but I just wanted to use myself as an example that all Trump voters are not disenfranchised white guys. Every now and then there comes a time where the winds of change take over and you have to follow them. While I disagree with many of the positions Trump has taken up as the Republican nominee, I cannot ignore the fact that Trump represents what is first and foremost of importance to me: a rebuking of the establishment. A vote for Trump represents a vote against the way things are right now, and while Trump might not be the best candidate to represent me policy wise, he is still the only candidate that represents a figure outside the establishment. Whatever damage republicans may do to individual rights pales in comparison to putting another establishment figurehead in office. I could not bring myself to vote for a corrupt, establishment criminal for president.
I accept your view.  I just don't think the African Americans that came before you would.  Hey, at least they died for something right?
Quote:I can empathize for sure and I know of at least one friend/co-worker of mine who felt similarly. They most assuredly exist only they are quickly silenced and derided by their peers. That's honestly fairly typical of black culture, though. It tends to be more homogeneous than it may appear on the outside regarding many things.

We were talking about it today during a training class during one of our breaks. The amount of sheer vitrol directed her way for supporting Trump last night was, to me, staggering. She knew she'd get no hate from me. I don't hate Trump. I don't hate all of what he stands for (Pence is another matter entirely). I was a little saddened last night but after sleeping on this, I'm in a good place overall although I can't quite verbalize why that is.
Even though I knew my candidate wouldn't win (Johnson) I was shocked this morning when my husband told me the final outcome. I was so prepared for a Clinton win (I didn't want but was resigned to it) I couldn't process a Trump win. I was thisclose to adding some Bailey's Irish Cream to my coffee. Now I am somewhat okay with it. As okay as I can be considering I thought both were absolutely wrong for the position. I think you come to a place where you know this is what it is and accept it the best way you know how and get on with the business of life. It doesn't stop just because someone we don't like was elected POTUS although by the reactions of some, there might actually be a line to the top of the Modis building. 

I'm sorry your friend got crapped on. I've gotten plenty of guff from my husband who is a staunch conservative and thinks I'm crazy for "throwing away" my vote even though I didn't give him crap for voting Trump. We had to stop talking about it after a while. Most of my friends are pretty conservative and I'm like the redheaded stepchild. They think I'm crazy. I will wear it proudly. And that homogeneous thing, I know exactly what that's like. It drives me nuts that many folks I know are so whitewashed and small minded. Most were born and raised in this small town and have never left so they don't have a clue. Contrast that with my wanderings for 22 years, living all over the States and in Germany and I don't have much in common with them, but it's all good. I have all the crazy I need right here. Lol.
Quote:Even though I knew my candidate wouldn't win (Johnson) I was shocked this morning when my husband told me the final outcome. I was so prepared for a Clinton win (I didn't want but was resigned to it) I couldn't process a Trump win. I was thisclose to adding some Bailey's Irish Cream to my coffee. Now I am somewhat okay with it. As okay as I can be considering I thought both were absolutely wrong for the position. I think you come to a place where you know this is what it is and accept it the best way you know how and get on with the business of life. It doesn't stop just because someone we don't like was elected POTUS although by the reactions of some, there might actually be a line to the top of the Modis building.

I'm sorry your friend got crapped on. I've gotten plenty of guff from my husband who is a staunch conservative and thinks I'm crazy for "throwing away" my vote even though I didn't give him crap for voting Trump. We had to stop talking about it after a while. Most of my friends are pretty conservative and I'm like the redheaded stepchild. They think I'm crazy. I will wear it proudly. And that homogeneous thing, I know exactly what that's like. It drives me nuts that many folks I know are so whitewashed and small minded. Most were born and raised in this small town and have never left so they don't have a clue. Contrast that with my wanderings for 22 years, living all over the States and in Germany and I don't have much in common with them, but it's all good. I have all the crazy I need right here. Lol.

And this, in a nutshell, is why I like you in spite of our differences.

Never let anyone tell you that you wasted your vote. We had this discussion today ad well (I work in a corporate, yet very non PC environment). I voted for the canif ate (Johnson also) who most closely resembles my political views. I thought that was the point of holding elections in the first place...not pandering to a majority.