Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Critical Moment for Jags/ Week 2 Importance (merged)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Let me begin by extending my hopes that everyone got through Irma unscathed, and that my thoughts are with those not so fortunate.  By almost any conceivable measure, this was a horrible storm that has caused suffering to many many people in Florida and the Caribbean.  It makes the main point of my post ironically and hopelessly trivial by comparison.

As a season ticket holder since the inaugural year, I've been fortunate enough to witness most of the key moments i Jaguars history.  i was there when we saw the old Gator Bowl officially complete its transition into Jacksonville Municipal Stadium with the first home preseason game.  I was there when Boyz II Men sang the national anthem before the first regular season game in team history.  I was there to see us upset the Steelers for the first home win in team history.  Though I could not bear to watch, I was there for Morten's miss. 

However, I was also witness to perhaps the darkest on field moment in team history-the AFC Championship game loss to the tacks in the 1999 season.  I label that the darkest on field moment in team history because not only did it deny the team their first Super Bowl berth, but the team has largely been in a franchise funk for the most part since then.  In the seventeen years since, the team has had all of three (3) winning seasons, only two of which resulted in the playoffs.  Those seasons were a decade ago.  We have seen a string of losing seasons more readily associated with expansion teams.  We've had teams less talented than that 1995 expansion team.  While the specter of franchise relocation was largely dodged, the fan base's collective morale was at rock bottom for the last few years.

However, there are signs things are beginning to turn around for the Jaguars.  When the team finally fired Bradley and named Marrone interim head coach, the tacks were on a roll and seemed on their way to a playoff berth.  However, the Jaguars rose up, playing their best game of the past few years, our beloved Jaguars knocked Mariota out of the game, throttled the tacks, and ended their playoff run.  Eventually Marrone hhad the interim tag removed and became head coach.  Even though his ascent to head coach and the retention of most of the staff was met with derision by losing weary fans wanting a fresh start, the team continued to work to improve.  They added Calais Campbell and barry Church in free agency and Leonard Fournette and Cam robinson in the draft.  But the fan base still had to be sold, and the preseason did nothing to convince many fans that we were headed in the right direction.  Yesterday's dominating performance against our nemesis the Texans went a long way in restoring fan confidence in the team.  They dominated the trenches in both sides of the ball, protected the ball offensively and forced four turnovers and had ten sacks defensively.

What makes this time so critical?  We are talking about a week 2 regular season game here.  Isn't this whole post a bit of hyperbole or exaggeration?  What makes this so important is that we have a chance to seize complete control of the division based upon the schedule and the weaknesses of the other teams in the division.  Houston is battered.  They have two inexperienced QBs and a horrible offensive line missing their best OL, LT Duane Brown, who is continuing his holdout.  On top of that, they are depleted at WR and TE.  They are on the road in a short week going up to Cincinnati.  They could very easily be 0-2, with a week three game at New England to follow.  Indy was talent challenged even with Andrew Luck.  Luck is not healthy and there is no telling when he will return, if at all.  His substitutes did not fare well yesterday, getting waxed by the Rams 46-9.  The undermanned Colts host Arizona, a generally well regarded team.  They could easily start 0-2 or 0-3 if Cleveland continues the tough play they showed against the Steelers.  Oh yeah, week four they go to Seattle. However, the real stranglehold on the division is predicated by Sunday's game against the tacks.  If we can beat the tacks this Sunday, we'll have a two game lead on the entire division, and Tennessee follows the game against us with a home game against Seattle.  They could easily start 0-3.

A 2-0 start for us opens the door for a lot of possibilities.  A 2-0 start followed by .500 ball the rest of the way gives the team its first winning season since 2007.  We have played the Ravens tough the last two times we played them, even with substandard coaching, running, run blocking, and pass rush.  I like our chances against the Ravens in London.  If we beat the Ravens and the tacks in weeks 2-3, we could have a 3 game lead in the division.  While that does not guarantee anything in a sixteen game regular season, a three game lead in a division with the other teams having the deficiencies they have will be a formidable deficit to overcome.  With a cushion of three games, Jaguars fans can actually have hope for relevance past September 30.  For the first time in seemingly forever, Jaguars fans will no longer be reduced to reviewing mock drafts in October.  A division crown and a home playoff game become realistic possibilities.  Fan confidence and enthusiasm are restored.

We can't allow Tennessee to ruin our hopes again.  

All of the good things I listed above won't happen with a loss.

It starts with beating the tacks.

Let's do it, Jaguars!!!
I don't know about Jaguars history but for 2017 and the young season these are some big implication games early on in the year. I think we're the only team in the league that starts the season with 2 straight divisional games? If you want to solidify yourself as an annual contender you have to make your division your best outs. Coming into the season the Titans were the favorites to win the division. They aren't by any means a complete or "elite" team by perspective but they present a lot of challenges.
(09-12-2017, 12:34 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about Jaguars history but for 2017 and the young season these are some big implication games early on in the year. I think we're the only team in the league that starts the season with 2 straight divisional games? If you want to solidify yourself as an annual contender you have to make your division your best outs. Coming into the season the Titans were the favorites to win the division. They aren't by any means a complete or "elite" team by perspective but they present a lot of challenges.

Keep in mind, the team has only won two division titles in our history-1998 and 1999.  That was the old AFC Central...before realignment and before the AFC South was created.  In the fifteen or so years of the AFC South's existence, the Jaguars are the only team that hasn't won it.

Furthermore, how often does a ream have a two to three or more game lead on the rest of the division and lose that lead?  There is a reason they trot out the stats about teams starting 0-2 not making the playoffs.  It's hard to do.  I remember the 1993 Cowboys-the then defending Super Bowl champs-started 0-2 due to Emmitt Smith's holdout, signed him week 3, then won the division then the Super Bowl.  I seem to remember the Chargers starting 0-4 and still making the playoffs a feww years later.  But the fact is deficits like that are usually too hard to overcome to make the playoffs, much less win the division. 

I will be the first to admit that beating Tennessee this week in no way absolves the team from doing its job from weeks 3 through 17.  I also acknowwledge the team could lose this gane and still win the division.  But building that cushion would help tremendously.  It may help in terms of tiebreakers.  If Jacksonville wins, they will be 2-0 in the division and 2-0 in the AFC.  Tennessee and Houston would be 0-2 in the AFC.

This young and rebuilding team will need all the help they can get in winning the team's first division title since 1999.  The best way to get that help is to help ourselves by beating the tacks this Sunday.
What I remember about the 1999 season is the Jags finishing the regular season 14-2, with their only losses against the Titans. Then we hosted the AFC Championship game against the same Titans, with a chance to get revenge. We took a lead into the half, and the home crowd was convinced that we were on our way to the Super Bowl in only our 5th season. Then the Titans came out in the second half and broke our hearts........3 losses to the same team, our only losses that season.
This is about as a big as a week 2 game can get. The stadium should be electric on Sunday. Can't wait!
(09-12-2017, 09:08 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]This is about as a big as a week 2 game can get.  The stadium should be electric on Sunday.  Can't wait!

Can't wait.  I'll be the really loud guy on third down in 437.  

Let's go lock down the AFCS. 

We'll learn a lot about how well this staff adapts their defensive game-plan when they face a very different offensive line at EverBank Sunday. 

While the Jags should be able to run the ball, the thumbtacks were second in the league last season stopping the run, so it may require continued improved accuracy from Blake to free up/compliment the run game.
(09-12-2017, 10:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 09:08 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]This is about as a big as a week 2 game can get.  The stadium should be electric on Sunday.  Can't wait!

We'll learn a lot about how well this staff adapts their defensive game-plan when they face a very different offensive line at EverBank Sunday. 

While the Jags should be able to run the ball, the thumbtacks were second in the league last season stopping the run, so it may require continued improved accuracy from Blake to free up/compliment the run game.

Incorrect about the titans stopping the run last year. They were second in the league at total rushing yards allowed, but middle third of the league at yards per carry. Big difference, part of which is probably because they had such a bad pass defense teams liked to try their corners.
(09-12-2017, 10:41 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 10:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Can't wait.  I'll be the really loud guy on third down in 437.  

Incorrect about the titans stopping the run last year. They were second in the league at total rushing yards allowed, but middle third of the league at yards per carry. Big difference, part of which is probably because they had such a bad pass defense teams liked to try their corners.

I don't really give a crap about their yards per carry or their corners being tried by other teams. 
The Jags are a run first team and they aren't going to throw this thing on the shoulders of Blake Bortles and make him "try their corners." Especially after losing their starting X receiver in week one. 

The Jags ran for 48 yards and 84 yards against them last year.  NOT GOOD ENOUGH. 

They'll have to do better than that if they are going to continue to keep Blake's mistakes mitigated.
(09-12-2017, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2017, 10:41 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Incorrect about the titans stopping the run last year. They were second in the league at total rushing yards allowed, but middle third of the league at yards per carry. Big difference, part of which is probably because they had such a bad pass defense teams liked to try their corners.

I don't really give a crap about their yards per carry or their corners being tried by other teams. 
The Jags are a run first team and they aren't going to throw this thing on the shoulders of Blake Bortles and make him "try their corners." Especially after losing their starting X receiver in week one. 

The Jags ran for 48 yards and 84 yards against them last year.  NOT GOOD ENOUGH. 

They'll have to do better than that if they are going to continue to keep Blake's mistakes mitigated.

My point is simply that I think the Jaguars can reproduce their week one rushing effort against the titans, if not do better overall.
(09-12-2017, 10:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

unh unh.  That will be me!   Laughing Tongue Banana

I think the key in this game will be the Jaguars' defense's ability to slow the tacks' running game. 

If we can keep them in check like the Raiders did, we win.
Back to Back wins ... been a long time. It would be huge for this young team. I remain cautiously optimistic. It has been a rough stretch lately.
(09-12-2017, 12:49 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Back to Back wins ... been a long time.  It would be huge for this young team.  I remain cautiously optimistic.  It has been a rough stretch lately.

Back to back wins...back to back division wins.

I agree with this completely.
Not must-win, but you're absolutely right - this is a critical game. It's a hinge on which the rest of the season may swing.

It's a great opportunity. Let's do this.
It's hard to call a week 2 game a big one, but this one absolutely fits the bill.
Cory Grant with 2 long TDs will break this game open.
WEEK 2 IS A CRITICAL MOMENT IN JAGS HISTORY LOLOLOLOL

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE [BLEEP] ME ... THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT? RIGHT?!?

YOU GUYS ARE SO DELUSIONAL after 1 win, I almost feel sorry for you ... almost
(09-13-2017, 02:54 PM)Thaddeus43 Wrote: [ -> ]LMFAO ... WEEK 2 IS A CRITICAL MOMENT IN JAGS HISTORY LOLOLOLOL

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE [BLEEP] ME ... THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT? RIGHT?!?

YOU GUYS ARE SO DELUSIONAL after 1 win, I almost feel sorry for you ... almost

I feel sorry for you guys...

I remember when the Jags were the 'hot pick' to win the AFCS much like the tacks were this year...

we fell a little short going 3-13... so... enjoy your meaningless December Smile
(09-12-2017, 07:45 AM)SunriseCottage Wrote: [ -> ]What I remember about the 1999 season is the Jags finishing the regular season 14-2, with their only losses against the Titans. Then we hosted the AFC Championship game against the same Titans, with a chance to get revenge. We took a lead into the half, and the home crowd was convinced that we were on our way to the Super Bowl in only our 5th season. Then the Titans came out in the second half and broke our hearts........3 losses to the same team, our only losses that season.

I could not have said it better. That was truly heart breaking. At halftime were heading to the Superbowl, then our world caved in, in a way no one at that game will ever forget.
I hesitate to call this game critical. Does it carry some weight? Yes, because it's a divisional opponent. It's also a good measuring stick for team growth. A loss this game matters little in the grand season. We'll see em again.

This board needs to slow down on the domination talk. This is not a weak offense coming up and to expect a dominant D week in and week out is not realistic. I expect Bortles will have to carry more of a load for the offense and that worries me.
2 complete consistent games in a row would be a start.
Pages: 1 2