Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What this Election means for Minorities...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you may have heard, Van Jones, (and probably others) have had a very emotional reaction to the election results that we saw last night.  There is question about what the next 4 years will mean for Black Americans under a Trump administration. 

I can Fully empathize with where Van Jones is coming from.  I remember in 2000 following the election night results very closely.  I was appoplectic when Florida was taken out of the win column for Al Gore.  When it was projected that Bush would become president i didn't sleep for three days.  I didn't cry but on many levels i was emtionally drained maybe even broken. 

I was so mad that i vowed to do everything in my power and organize on a grassroots level to make sure that Bush would be soundly defeated over the next 4 years.  I took time and researched all of his policies and listened to every speech that he made. 

4 years later i pulled the lever in my first presidential contest in support of his re-election. 

If you are a person of color who feels anxious or uncertain this morning I am not making the guarantee that just wait in four years you'll be heading the line at a Trump Rally singing sweet home Alabama.   I am challenging you to give his presidency the chance that I Gave G. W. by accident.  Listen to the things that he says, not what people SAY he said.  Watch the things that he does and not the things people say he did or will do. 

I am certain that there will be things that you disagree with some very strongly.  What I will guarantee you is that if you are open and give him a chance you will see that his motivation is about increasing opportunity not stifling it.  Keeping Criminals out of our country, not people who look a certain way.  Making sure that every American has a chance at safety and prosperity. 

This is a candidate who made the most impassioned appeal to black America in decades of republican politics, including the new deal for black America/the inner cities.  Florida will probably come down to his victory among Cuban Americans.  If you are feeling uneasy or uncertain I challenge you to let it play out and make your own judgement once he starts to govern...  I know how you feel, it's the same way I felt, I hope you see the things that I found out.

Trump's plan to revitalize inner cities should go a long ways toward seriously helping many minorities.

I absolutely love this post.  +1

Every voter should do the exact same things you have done.  It's what the founding fathers intended.

While I'm not a Trump supporter, I very much enjoyed his victory speech, and I will be watching closely to see what happens.

Quote:Trump's plan to revitalize inner cities should go a long ways toward seriously helping many minorities.

His plan is use offer tax holidays to cities, encourage "foreign business" to come in to blighted areas, and to add new federal disaster designation to give them money. It will never get funded to work. Even he gets it passed, It will more than likely cause more gentrification and worse outcomes for poor minorities because it will prioritize big business over small businesses.
Quote:His plan is use offer tax holidays to cities, encourage "foreign business" to come in to blighted areas, and to add new federal disaster designation to give them money. It will never get funded to work. Even he gets it passed, It will more than likely cause more gentrification and worse outcomes for poor minorities because it will prioritize big business over small businesses.

He also talked about loans and credit for minority small business.
Tax credits and reductions are "funded" by the economic good those projects bring.

It's not "taking" revenue from the government, it's giving it back to those who actually earned it to begin with.

That's important insight into the wrong thinking some have been indoctrinated with.

Quote:He also talked about loans and credit for minority small business.

Which is more funding that House Republicans will fight to give.
There's nothing to "fund."

You give back what was rightfully earned so they can invest it for an earmarked purpose.

President Trump, please deport him back to his home country.

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/79624...wsrc%5Etfw
Money has nothing to do with a person's attitudes toward black people or any other minority population. That is all in a person's head. Where money talks is how politicians apply their beliefs about minorities - think of the ADA; how many tax dollars had to be spent for ramps at every curb, buses with wheelchair lifts, etc.? Donald Trump kept trying to cover up his repeated racist comments by visiting inner cities with thousands of blacks and Latinos but it was not enough for them to believe him because they knew what he was doing. It was like saying at a debate he respects women more than anyone else while talking about the Billy Bush tape (which everyone knows really happened). I can't trust Trump to solve the problems affecting women and minorities, of which there are many, regardless of who was lying about what, because it is crystal clear he does not care one bit about those people.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I'm just going to copy and paste what I said in a different thread in this one:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Regardless of the truths and lies that have been spewed from both sides, I sincerely hope that people understand that it's not ok to be hateful, racist, and disrespectful to one another - regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, and beliefs. We all know that actions speak louder than words, and I hope that an extreme minority of individuals do not perceive his election as a clearance for hate crimes. I highly doubt it, but I do think about it.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">As an independent, I give Trump the utmost respect with the result that his campaign has yielded - despite the constant uphill battle that he faced. I am going to maintain an optimistic mindset, in the hopes that our beautiful country and its citizens can prosper and flourish. What also gives me hope is that anybody can become whatever they want to be, with hard work and perseverance. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">We are better when we are all unified, even with differences in ideologies, policies, and beliefs - and that is what separates America from other countries that try to oppress the opposition. And this is what makes America <i>the</i> greatest country on the face of this planet.

Quote:Money has nothing to do with a person's attitudes toward black people or any other minority population. That is all in a person's head. Where money talks is how politicians apply their beliefs about minorities - think of the ADA; how many tax dollars had to be spent for ramps at every curb, buses with wheelchair lifts, etc.? Donald Trump kept trying to cover up his repeated racist comments by visiting inner cities with thousands of blacks and Latinos but it was not enough for them to believe him because they knew what he was doing. It was like saying at a debate he respects women more than anyone else while talking about the Billy Bush tape (which everyone knows really happened). I can't trust Trump to solve the problems affecting women and minorities, of which there are many, regardless of who was lying about what, because it is crystal clear he does not care one bit about those people.

Your opinion.  We know.  We don't care, because you won't listen to why you're wrong.
The last sentence is a slap in the fact to Donald Trump's campaign slogan. Why does he think America is not already great?

Quote:Your opinion.  We know.  We don't care, because you won't listen to why you're wrong.

You don't care what my opinions are. That is fine. But that does not make it right to be apathetic about the facts I base my opinions on, which are on point in that post.
Quote:You don't care what my opinions are. That is fine. But that does not make it right to be apathetic about the facts I base my opinions on, which are on point in that post.

What about all the facts that prove you wrong?

Do you even know what his platform is regarding women and minorities?

No, you don't.
Quote:The last sentence is a slap in the fact to Donald Trump's campaign slogan. Why does he think America is not already great?

Michelle Obama, who I believe you like,  said the following in 2008:

'For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country'.
Quote:What about all the facts that prove you wrong?

Do you even know what his platform is regarding women and minorities?

No, you don't.

Facts that were proven wrong in other threads about totally different issues have absolutely nothing to do with this one. Anybody with a brain knows that.
Quote:The last sentence is a slap in the fact to Donald Trump's campaign slogan. Why does he think America is not already great?

you do realize bill Clinton used the same Slogan right???