Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ivory getting too many carries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's the deal with Ivory getting so many carries? Half the time it looks like he's running in slow motion 

I think Corey Grant is the perfect change of pace back with Fournette. Grant's first carry almost when the distance yesterday. Fournette wears them down and Grant kills them with his speed.
What's the deal with Ivory getting so many carries? Half the time it looks like he's running in slow motion 

I think Corey Grant is the perfect change of pace back with Fournette. Grant's first carry almost when the distance yesterday. Fournette wears them down and Grant kills them with his speed.
Now this I agree with.....they used Grant in the backfield several times, but only as a decoy. The one time they gave him the ball he was a half step from breaking it. He needs 5-6 carries per game.
No one was complaining about Ivory in week 1......
I was complaining about him. I said this in the preseason. He just isn't very good. He gives you a ton of negative plays.
I would like to see 4 or 5 gadget-type plays to Grant mixed in, but I think they are using Ivory just fine.

Had they not gotten backed up by penalty several times and been unable to run -- Fournette would have had a nice number of touches yesterday, and they may have even been freed up enough to sprinkle in a few for Grant.
The penalties, loaded box and scoreboard forced them away from the run.

The way they used Ivory in week one made perfect sense to me if you have the mindset of not running the wheels off of your first round RB and keeping him fresh for the end of games or late in the season.
Yup. Don't understand this at all. Fournette gets primed to break through and they spell him. At least they started giving Fournette some passing down looks in garbage time.

Ivory is good to have as a spell guy, but there's no reason for him to have half the carries Fournette has.
(09-18-2017, 10:07 AM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Yup. Don't understand this at all. Fournette gets primed to break through and they spell him. At least they started giving Fournette some passing down looks in garbage time.

Ivory is good to have as a spell guy, but there's no reason for him to have half the carries Fournette has.
Yes there is. 

That game was a blowout. No reason to run Fournette into the ground in a game you are going to lose.
(09-18-2017, 09:29 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]What's the deal with Ivory getting so many carries? Half the time it looks like he's running in slow motion 

Clarification:

Grant's first AND ONLY carry almost when the distance yesterday.

.... not sure why he didn't get a few more carries.
(09-18-2017, 10:08 AM)Frailbones Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-18-2017, 10:07 AM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Yup. Don't understand this at all. Fournette gets primed to break through and they spell him. At least they started giving Fournette some passing down looks in garbage time.

Yes there is. 

That game was a blowout. No reason to run Fournette into the ground in a game you are going to lose.

Sure, but even before that game was out of reach, Ivory was significantly out snapping Fournette, especially on passing downs where Ivory sucks at blitz pickup to begin with.
They are trying to save Fournette for the 4th and not have him wore down with all the carries, but this game titans ended up blowing it open and that didnt work.

what pisses me off more is them throwing screen to Ivory, you dont throw screens to slow RBs, use the screens for Fournette or Grant
Ivory won't be on the roster next year because of his salary, so might as well get what you can out of him especially when the game is out of reach.

Grant would be the more logical choice as a complimentary back, but since he's got the speed to take it the house on every play and he would add a dynamic threat - why would the Jags use him that way?
#Free Corey
(09-18-2017, 09:29 AM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]What's the deal with Ivory getting so many carries? Half the time it looks like he's running in slow motion 

Is there anything else that you want to [BLEEP] about regarding the team?

Ivory isn't meant to be a "change of pace" back.  He's a physical back just like Fournette.
If the argument is that we should be mixing in Grant a bit more, then sure Ivory is getting too many carries. If the argument is that we need to make sure Fournette is getting his 25 touches a game no matter what, then no. He will die at that usage rate.
(09-19-2017, 12:03 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]If the argument is that we should be mixing in Grant a bit more, then sure Ivory is getting too many carries. If the argument is that we need to make sure Fournette is getting his 25 touches a game no matter what, then no. He will die at that usage rate.

Yeah I'd hate for jags to ride him into the ground in just 1 season and he declines after year 1.
If you lose at the line, this is moot. Grant may have offered some flash, but the titans O line stymied the Jags D line, while their D line whooped our expectedly suspect O line, without safety blankets for the QB. The Jags will win games where they overpower fronts this season. Tricks, backs, receivers, tight ends come into play in the future, with a QB.
Chris Ivory stinks. He does not play like the punishing back he used to be. He is a shell of his former-self and could easily be upgraded.
(09-19-2017, 12:03 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]If the argument is that we should be mixing in Grant a bit more, then sure Ivory is getting too many carries. If the argument is that we need to make sure Fournette is getting his 25 touches a game no matter what, then no. He will die at that usage rate.

^This. 

I'm all for Fournette being the guy,, YESSSIIR. 

But don't grind him down with 300-350 touches over the next couple seasons. RB "shelf-life" is already fairly short. No reason to completely wear out the tread on his tires in half that time.
Ya'll worried about breaking a brand new toy by using it too much in it's first year... then we bought the wrong toy...
Pages: 1 2