Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in the AFC South-Week 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
As glorious as week one was for me and Jaguars fans everywhere (Irma notwithstanding), week two was equally disappointing.  The Jaguars fell back down to earth with their loss against the tacks.  However, not all is lost.  We are in a 1-1 tie with the tacks and the Texans.  We still have the chance to take a lead this week, but the prize for the bad guys losing and us winning isn't quite as big as it was last week.

My picks:

Ravens (2-0) at Jaguars (1-1)-  The Ravens have been amazing defensively, dismantling the Ohio teams on their way to 2-0.  The Ravens have more speed and talent at WR than they have had in years past with Jeremy Maclin and Mike Wallace.  However, their passing game should not scare the Jaguars, only throwing two passes that have traveled more than than 20 yards in the air.  That may be, in part, a function of their OL being banged up.  They just lost D Marshall Yanda for the year.  According to the Baltimore Sun "Of the nine linemen on the roster, four are former undrafted free agents and two are sixth-round picks."  The Jaguars' D-Line will have some opportunities against Flacco and Co.  However, I'm not sure if the Jaguars' offense can capitalize on it.  A passing game that was already suspect coming into the season became more so with the Allen Robinson injury.  Last week against the tacks, the Jaguars were unable or unwilling to stretch the field and attack downfield much until garbage time.   Fournette got quality yardage early, but was shut down later as the tacks consistently put 8-9 in the box.  The Jaguars must attack the Ravens rookies through the air to keep the defense honest.  Not sure if they can do that.  It will be a game of defense, turnovers, and field position.  The Ravens have the better QB, and that will be the difference.  Ravens 20  Jaguars 16.

Seahawks (1-1) at Tacks (1-1)-A strong Seattle defense travels east to Nashville to face the tacks.  Seattle's defense looks nasty as ever, and there is an axiom that defense travels.  Unfortunately for Seattle, their offensive line, featuring Jaguars bust Luke Joeckel, is traveling with them.  I'm still thankful yet mystified as to why Seattle didn't take Cam Robinson for themselves.  I don't see the tacks doing much against that Seattle defense, but I can't see Seattle's offense blocking Jurrell Casey or Brian Orakpo.  Again, I will go with the better QB-Russell Wilson.  Seattle 21-Tennessee 17.

Texans (1-1) at Patriots (1-1) Both teams suffered surprising and embarrassing week one losses, and bounced back with week 2 wins.  However, while Houston struggled and scraped to a win over the mightily struggling Bengals, Brady and the Patriots looked more like the team that won its 5th Super Bowl last year.  They still have Belichick, who still has a way of making rookie QBs struggle.  That's bad news for the Texans, who has Deshaun Watson starting only his second game.  Patriots 28 Texans 10.

Browns (0-2) at Colts (0-2)-In a battle of two struggling teams, the Browns travel to Indy to face the still Luck-less Colts.Neither team has much of an advantage at QB, as the Browns have rookie DeShone Kizer-soze at QB, while the Colts counter with Jacoby Brissett, who has maybe two career starts under his belt, and has only been in the Colts offense three weeks.  I give the edge to Cleveland here.  They played tough against two of their division's better teams, and have a stronger nucleus of rookie contributors than the Colts, even without prize #1 pick Myles Garrett, who is nursing a high ankle sprain.  Browns win 20-17.

Last week:  1-2
Overall:  3-3
Jaguars

Colts

Seahawks

Patriots

Last week: 2-1
Overall: 5-1

[EDIT - changed pick on 9-20 from Titans to Seahawks,  added W/L stats on 9-23]
I'll go Ravens, Seahawks, colts, Patriots.

The Jaguars look like they're going to lose 10+ games again this season. I can't see them winning against any team that holds the defense under two turnovers and has anything close to competent coaching and QB play. I think the Ravens have great coaching and a competent QB, so that means another Jaguars loss.

Seahawks are the polar opposite of the Jaguars. They have some questionable talent along the offensive line, but their QB comes up big and their defense will never give up, unlike the Jaguars. So the titans lose again against another playoff quality team.

I think the colts browns game could go either way, but it's in Indy and the browns still have a rookie starting so I'll go to the colts to get even with the Jaguars record wise.

1-2 last week, Bengals are worse than I thought and so are the Jaguars. Looking like another season essentially over in October.
(09-20-2017, 09:13 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I'll go Jags, Seahawks, colts, Patriots.

The Jaguars look like they're going to lose 10+ games again this season. I can't see them winning against any team that holds the defense under two turnovers and has anything close to competent coaching and QB play. I think the Ravens have great coaching and a competent QB, so that means another Jaguars loss.

Seahawks are the polar opposite of the Jaguars. They have some questionable talent along the offensive line, but their QB comes up big and their defense will never give up, unlike the Jaguars. So the titans lose again against another playoff quality team.

I think the colts browns game could go either way, but it's in Indy and the browns still have a rookie starting so I'll go to the colts to get even with the Jaguars record wise.

1-2 last week, Bengals are worse than I thought and so are the Jaguars. Looking like another season essentially over in October.

So which is it?
(09-20-2017, 09:17 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 09:13 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I'll go Jags, Seahawks, colts, Patriots.

So which is it?

The heart says Jaguars, the head says Ravens. Definitely the Ravens, being realistic about it.   Wallbash
Ravens
Hawks
Patriots
Browns

Last week 1-2
Overall 2-4
I'm going to give us one last shot before I jump off the train. Somehow we always play Baltimore well, and I don't believe they've ever made the London trip before.

Jags
Hawks
Pats
Browns

1-2 last week
4-2 overall
Jaguars over Ravens
Titans over Seahawks
Patriots over Texans
Colts over Browns

2-1 last week
4-2 overall
(09-20-2017, 10:27 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]Jaguars over Ravens
Titans over Seahawks
Patriots over Texans
Colts over Browns

2-1 last week
4-2 overall

Well that is mighty sweet of you to pick the Jags over the Ravens.
Jaguars: Baltimore's statistics are bloated by their crappy opponents. I am not convinced dominating the Ohio teams shows they are better than us overall. Although the Ravens have a better QB and kicker you can't say that about their secondary, offensive line, and backfield. We nearly beat them last year with less talented players. However, it can go either way.

Seahawks: Marcus Mariota will have a hard time finding open receivers against the Legion of Boom if he can avoid the pass rush. Russell Wilson is not nearly as turnover prone as his counterpart in Jacksonville. We all know who the better head coach is.

Patriots: Duh. Houston's only advantage is the defensive line. The Chiefs beat New England with a much better QB and RB than anyone the Texans have. Do I need to say more?

Browns: Somehow Cleveland managed to be competitive last week despite temporarily losing DeShone Kizer. They have a much better offensive line (Kevin Zeitler, no more Cameron Erving) than the banged-up Colts. If Vontae Davis is out again, I don't know how Indianapolis can win this one without Andrew Luck. But it should be close if Myles Garrett is out.

Last week: 1-2
Overall: 4-2
(09-20-2017, 10:33 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 10:27 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]Jaguars over Ravens
Titans over Seahawks
Patriots over Texans
Colts over Browns

2-1 last week
4-2 overall

Well that is mighty sweet of you to pick the Jags over the Ravens.

I actually think they'll win.  The offense will still suck, but I think the defense rebounds.
(09-20-2017, 10:52 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 10:33 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Well that is mighty sweet of you to pick the Jags over the Ravens.

I actually think they'll win.  The offense will still suck, but I think the defense rebounds.

Well... the Ravens haven't looked great offensively...

But I'm thinking ol Bortles spots em 10 with a couple turnovers.
Ravens (2-0) at Jaguars (1-1)- The Jags don't stand a chance. I feel like this will be the theme moving forward as we play strong offensive teams. The Jags lack the offense skill to sustain drives and keep the defense off the field. I don't see the Jags defense having the stamina to keep this close. 31-13 Birds

Seahawks (1-1) at Tacks (1-1)- The hawks have some O-line issues and there chances rest on the QB and strong defensive play. While the defense has looked good, that offense isn't as high powered as previous seasons. For the tacks, I see them taking momentom early and then sputtering to a victory. 21-17 tacks

Texans (1-1) at Patriots (1-1)- Both teams have their weaknesses but this one really isn't close. 31-10 Pats

Browns (0-2) at Colts (0-2)- Welcome to the toilet bowl! Browns look better than their record and have potential. The clots on the other hand are in rapid decent. Their defense is the only thing to keep them in games and that isn't saying much. Flip the coin... 17-10 Brownies

Last week:  2-1
Overall:  5-1
(09-20-2017, 11:00 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]Ravens (2-0) at Jaguars (1-1)- The Jags don't stand a chance. I feel like this will be the theme moving forward as we play strong offensive teams. The Jags lack the offense skill to sustain drives and keep the defense off the field. I don't see the Jags defense having the stamina to keep this close. 31-13 Birds

Seahawks (1-1) at Tacks (1-1)- The Hawks have some O-line issues and their chances rest on the QB and strong defensive play. While the defense has looked good, that offense isn't as high powered as previous seasons. For the Tacks, I see them taking momentum early and then sputtering to a victory. 21-17 Tacks

Texans (1-1) at Patriots (1-1)- Both teams have their weaknesses but this one really isn't close. 31-10 Pats

Browns (0-2) at Colts (0-2)- Welcome to the toilet bowl! Browns look better than their record and have potential. The clots on the other hand are in rapid decent. Their defense is the only thing to keep them in games and that isn't saying much. Flip the coin... 17-10 Brownies

Last week:  2-1
Overall:  5-1

Baltimore is not a strong offensive team. And yes we do stand a chance against their much weaker secondary. It is more likely to be a defensive battle than a blowout either way.

Too early to flush the Colts down a toilet. They will get much better when Andrew Luck returns. For now they are terrible.
1-2 Last week. 4-2 Overall

Jaguars
Browns
Seahawks
Patriots
Ravens
Colts
tacks
Pats

1-2 last week
3-3 overall
ravens
pats
hawks
browns

2-6
Jags - Cmon boys don't let me down
Pats - #becausetombrady
Browns - Because screw the clots
Seahawks- damn I hate those stinking flaming tacks.

Last week 1-2
Overall 3-3
Some interesting picks this week.  I wonder if anyone is tracking this?

My Picks

Jaguars - I think they do have a bit of "home field advantage" and I don't think that the Ravens are as good as people think.  They have played a couple of bottom-tier teams so far.

Patriots - This is pretty much a no-brainer.  While the Texans have a good defense, I don't think it's good enough to stop the Patriots offense.

Titans -  A few things come to mind here.  First, I think the Titans carry a bit of momentum going into this game, especially since it's a home game for them.  Second, though the Seahawks have a good defense, their offense is suspect so far this season.  I don't think the Titans pull off another blowout like this past Sunday, but I do think they put together just enough to pull off the win.

Browns -  They have actually been playing pretty good football for a team in the early stages of a rebuild.  The Colts are a mess right now.  This will be victory #1 for the Browns this season.

1-2 Last Week
3-3 Overall
1-2 last week, 2-4 overall.

I'll take a chance on the Jags again and say that last week's fiasco will not be the norm. If they don't show up in London, Coughlin should sharpen his axe.

Jaguars over Ravens
Titans over Seahawks
Patriots over Texans
Colts over Browns
Pages: 1 2 3 4