Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Problem With The Offense Is Lack of Talent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It completely lacks talent.

Contrary to popular belief, this offense won't be going anywhere even with a quarterback change.  It is completely devoid in talent in many areas and severely overrated in others.  

At quarterback we have Blake Bortles, who's issues are well-documented by now.  I think he can be a good quarterback with the proper talent around him, but he lacks leadership and confidence.  His team won't rally around him.  Those are the biggest issues with him - not his interceptions or throwing motion.  Chad Henne is Chad Henne.  He shouldn't have ever been given a second contract with the team.

At running back we have talent in Leonard Fournette, Chris Ivory, TJ Yeldon, and Corey Grant.  It really is a good, diverse backfield.  Maybe not overly explosive, but the kind you can close games with.

Tight end and fullback are a joke.  Marcedes Lewis is a great guy, but he has no business playing anything except sub and specialty packages in the NFL anymore.  The rest are all undrafted or late rounders who will likely be out of the league within two seasons after the Jags move on from them.  Who knows what Rivera brings, but based off his history in Oakland, he'll be underwhelming for his potential.

Offensive line is putrid.  We have one stalwart in Brandon Linder.  Cam Robinson has the ability to be a good left tackle, but he's gotten beat badly and given up bad sacks on one play so far and another in the preseason.  He looks good, but those two plays can't happen.  Parnell is what he is - a journeyman level stop-gap right tackle.  The fact that he is our 3rd best lineman is scary.  Omameh has spent a career and will spend the rest of his career after this season as a last man off the bench lineman.  He has his moments, but he is so wildly inconsistent that he's a huge liability.  AJ Cann had a great run block against Houston, but he just whiffs and misses blocks so often, he's stalling multiple drives per game.  The depth has incriminating photos of the front office personnel; there are no other possible reasons for some of those players to stick to this team as long as they have.

Wide receiver is vastly overrated.  Allen Robinson would make a very good WR2 with his skillset.  However, he is a terrible WR1.  He has a low catch rate because he rarely gets separation and has to win a disproportionate amount of 50/50 balls.  Once he started seeing extra attention and corners learned to become more physical with him, his 60/40 balls became more 40/60 balls.  You can't run an offense through a guy like that.  In low volume, he does, however, offer a great set of skills to make spectacular 3rd down catches when seeing 1v1 coverage as a WR2.  Allen Hurns is only a little more than just a guy.  He drops and double catches too many balls.  His success mostly came working down deep seams.  He rarely will shake someone with his route running, lacks speed, and lacks jump ball ability.  His talent matches his draft position.  He's just an overachiever.  Marqise Lee is an athlete playing wide receiver.  He double catches and tips everything not thrown on target.  He can't adjust to a ball in the air.  I hold my breath when they throw anything to him.  Where is all of Lee's production?  Running drags and crosses where they line him up and just say run to X as fast as you can.  He lacks elite athleticism as well for that role.  The rest of the corp are either special teamers or unproven rookies.  I hope Westbrook turns into something, but we don't know.

Essentially, we have two legit NFL starters in Linder and Fournette.  One is promising, but unresolved in Robinson.  One is a great WR2 elevated to WR1.  At best, 4 out of 11 on offense are talented enough to be considered part of a talented offense.

Tldr; Offense needs work, man.  Lots.
I agree with most of this, besides the assessment of our receivers. I disagree completely with that entire evaluation.
Bortles.
Our receivers are high level when healthy but they aren't so yes the offense has
nothing.
Fair, quality assessment. But "completely lacks talent" doesn't really match what you wrote, and somewhat overrates the talent on most other offenses in the NFL. I'm not completely down on Bortles, and do believe he will make some plays for us this season, but they have to address the situation next offseason, because right now, he's not elevating the offense to another level, and that's not good enough for me. And I also believe that, deep down, it's not good enough for Marrone, not good enough for Coughlin, and not good enough for Caldwell.
That's why something different goes wrong on almost every play. Offensive line blocks well and receiver gets open, Bortles misses him badly. Offensive line blocks well, receiver gets open, Bortles puts it right on him and the receiver drops it. Nice gain on a run play, called back for holding. No calls for holding, RB get demolished in the backfield. And on and on. In a time where the league has done everything to favor offenses, we remain the team that makes just twenty yards extremely difficult to traverse.
(09-20-2017, 10:20 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]That's why something different goes wrong on almost every play. Offensive line blocks well and receiver gets open, Bortles misses him badly. Offensive line blocks well, receiver gets open, Bortles puts it right on him and the receiver drops it. Nice gain on a run play, called back for holding. No calls for holding, RB get demolished in the backfield. And on and on. In a time where the league has done everything to favor offenses, we remain the team that makes just twenty yards extremely difficult to traverse.

This is what I think of the offense. Bortles isn't great or even good but I don't see a revived offense with just a QB change.
You guys have no idea how a QB change does wonders for an offense if your players don't think he's the guy. If your offense doesn't believe in their QB they won't rally behind him. They will play lazier because they don't think they can with with him. It's a legit problem. They feel like in the end they are playing for nothing. Honestly the only reason our offense has only juice at all is because the offense DOES believe in LF27 to make it happen.
Bortles and we could still use a lineman or three.

Overall the offense does lack talent but those are the primary areas of concern for me.
TL DR Breakdown

QB - Sucks, worst players on our team by far, Myers a close #3/4
RB - Good
FB - Meh
TE - Sucks
WR - Decent, Good when healthy
OGs - Needs 1 more starter level addition, average
OTs - Decent
C - One of our best offensive players
The offense
(09-20-2017, 10:20 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]That's why something different goes wrong on almost every play. Offensive line blocks well and receiver gets open, Bortles misses him badly. Offensive line blocks well, receiver gets open, Bortles puts it right on him and the receiver drops it. Nice gain on a run play, called back for holding. No calls for holding, RB get demolished in the backfield. And on and on. In a time where the league has done everything to favor offenses, we remain the team that makes just twenty yards extremely difficult to traverse.

Pretty much this. Seeing how it's never consistently just one thing wrong with the offense, it tells me that it's a talent issue as a whole. Blake has had games where he was efficient and turnoverless and we were still blown out. Blake has had games where he was inefficient with multiple turnovers and we won.
(09-20-2017, 11:03 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]TL DR Breakdown

RB - Good
FB - Meh
TE - Sucks
OTs - Decent

I agree with that.

But I would put some extra emphasis on the offensive line.  It's amazing how average skill position players can look like hall of famers when a team has a great offensive line.   And it's borderline criminal that after FIVE years of rebuilding, we still have a below average offensive line.
(09-22-2017, 05:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 11:03 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]TL DR Breakdown

RB - Good
FB - Meh
TE - Sucks
OTs - Decent

I agree with that.

But I would put some extra emphasis on the offensive line.  It's amazing how average skill position players can look like hall of famers when a team has a great offensive line.   And it's borderline criminal that after FIVE years of rebuilding, we still have a below average offensive line.
Tend to agree with this as well.
Maybe add a starting OT to the mix. Also, I think Williams would be an upgrade at FB.
(09-22-2017, 05:55 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2017, 05:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with that.

Tend to agree with this as well.
Maybe add a starting OT to the mix. Also, I think Williams would be an upgrade at FB.

Why would you think a 7th round draft pick who didn't make the roster would be an upgrade over Bohannon?  I don't see that at all.  

But back to the offensive line, here's proof that they suck. 

Jaguars backs don't have much time before contact