Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Plays we should stop calling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While I'm a strong believer in "players not plays" I also believe that you should cater to your strengths. There are certain plays that I just don't understand why they're in the playbook. Chief Offender #1:

The short crossing route... Bortles CANNOT hit this throw to save his life... seriously, the interception that bounced off of Lee's hands and was picked by the Titans Safety, It also caused 2 picks last year on throws behind the receiver. It's rarely successful, the QB doesn't have the accuracy to hit it, and it seems on 3rd and long it's always his read of choice well short of the sticks. I just don't get it  Wallbash .

The second maddening call would be any form of pass play out of the backfield to Chris Ivory, he's just not that fast, please save those kind of calls for Corey Grant or Fournette, you do the offense no favors since even if he had nothing but green grass ahead of him he'd take a year to get there. That said it's never even blocked well which puts Ivory's lack of speed 

What other Plays do you think should be scrapped from the playbook?
They need to roll him out more on counter plays to buy more time and get him doing what he does best (throwing on the run).

Go deep more often to keep the defense honest.

Crossing route scares me but it has to be a key part of every teams game.  Brady has made a living off of it hitting little white dudes running across the middle.
Bortles is at best in the no-huddle against a prevent defense. So play no-huddle all game.

And require the opponents to play a prevent.  Big Grin

Or just punt on first down. That would save the ten yards given up by penalty. Hmm, that might actually work against the Ravens.
(09-21-2017, 10:24 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles is at best in the no-huddle against a prevent defense. So play no-huddle all game.

I always thought that about Leftwich as well but JDR refused to play to his only real strength.

To be honest i think the crossing routes run with lee are mostly lee's fault. I know, I know BB5 sucks and cant throw, but hear me out. I have gone to practices and watched lee run routes and BB5 hits him in stride. but it appears lee isnt going full speed in practice, his half speed looks like full speed. So come game time lee is all jacked up and running the route at top speed so it appears BB5 throws behind him but he is throwing where lee usually would be like in practice. Lee is overruning the route its not the first time with the crossing patterns. It is only lee who he is missing with the crossing routes. its just my opinion, but then i also dont think lee is that good a reciever he gets open more with his speed but drops alot of passes. i would like to see Benn out there as a former #1 playing more think he wont drop as much.
3 yard passes when we need 7 yards.
Scrap the NFL offense and run the UCF college spread offense, shotgun 100% of the time, QB points to the ground and claps his hand to hike the ball, let Blake do his thang like back in his college days, running and gunslinging it, improvising, leading his team to victory.
Stop calling the plays that don't work. We should all know what they are by now.
Lots of grasping at straws here.

They've admittedly already taken out plays that Blake can't make.

Where do you draw the line?
The QB has to be able to make the damn pass, people. It's on him not to miss a routine crossing route. It's on him to hit the swing pass to the RB on time. It's on him to be able to throw an accurate fade with decent trajectory.

You can only dumb it down so much. Heck, they are already trying to run 35 times a game.
Lets not hand the ball to our downhill, north-south runners out of the shotgun. Makes no sense. Lets let them get that ehad of steam and run someone over.

Screen passes to anyone but Corey Grant, Lee, Wynn, 904nette.

Whatever that comeback route is that Blake is always late on and the defense picks him off for pick 6's all the time.
Stop throwing the ball to Lewis.
(09-21-2017, 12:05 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]Stop throwing the ball to Lewis.

I'm all for this. 

But the only issue is, we wont be able to scheme the WRs open. Teams know we wont throw at Lewis, they will just double our WRs who aren't getting open already. Then Blakes makes bad decisions, then is 2 or 3 pick 6's a game. 

Is that what you really want? 

The solution is to change his number to 67 and get another TE that can catch in here.
Any pass play unless they hand off to a running back or lineman and let them throw the pass.
Bortles needs to throw a crossing route to a spot in front of the receiver, not where the receiver is at, at that time. They are moving too fast.

Kind of sad that a PRO QB doesn't understand this concept.
(09-21-2017, 12:05 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]Stop throwing the ball to Lewis.

Why, if you throw him the ball all you lose is a down with 0 yards gained on an incompletion

If you don't throw him the ball, he's going to get a 10-yard "illegal hands to the face" penalty from blocking.

(09-21-2017, 12:21 PM)jseymour Wrote: [ -> ]Any pass play unless they hand off to a running back or lineman and let them throw the pass.

Does a lineman have to report as an eligible QB on a play in which we hand it off to him to throw a pass   Laughing

(09-21-2017, 11:54 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]Lets not hand the ball to our downhill, north-south runners out of the shotgun. Makes no sense. Lets let them get that ehad of steam and run someone over.

We actually did that last week when we needed a few inches on 4th down and actually got it.  I agree with you though because I was livid we were in a shotgun when the entire world knew Fournette was getting the ball for a 1 yard plunge
Z Left Banana 2 Wiggle Right
(09-21-2017, 02:24 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Z Left Banana 2 Wiggle Right

Prude.
Any 1st down play with 12 or 21 personnel. So dumb.
(09-21-2017, 02:24 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Z Left Banana 2 Wiggle Right

21 X Banana 1 Right would work better.
Get rid of the ones that don't work
Pages: 1 2