Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What should America do about opiods?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the few ways Donald Trump is actually helping people with health issues (multiple legislation failures don't count) was creating a committee to tackle the opioid epidemic. The problem is getting a lot of public awareness these days and I recently found a report that CBS Pharmacy is doing something about it.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2017.../23218713/

Basically CVS is trying to prevent people from getting pills for others like friends and family members or enough doses to get addicted during treatment. I love it.

In case you are not aware of the problem, the highest profile case of Vicodin addiction is probably Brett Favre in 1996. We certainly don't want more people getting it without written prescriptions (which he did) or being sent to a facility for 6 weeks to go through a withdrawal program. Many cases are much worse and result in more severe problems than the one they got the opioid pills for. I know enough about it to support what CVS is doing.
Who are we to stop other people from using drugs if they want to? Its time to end the failed War on Drugs, open up the prisons to release the non-violent drug offenders, and close the DEA.
(09-23-2017, 06:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Who are we to stop other people from using drugs if they want to? Its time to end the failed War on Drugs, open up the prisons to release the non-violent drug offenders, and close the DEA.

Nobody is saying all opioids should be illegal. Their benefits are widely documented.
(09-23-2017, 07:30 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2017, 06:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Who are we to stop other people from using drugs if they want to? Its time to end the failed War on Drugs, open up the prisons to release the non-violent drug offenders, and close the DEA.

Nobody is saying all opioids should be illegal. Their benefits are widely documented.

You missed the point, par for the course.

Just to make my point, NO opioids should be illegal.
I'm all for ending the war on MARIJUANA. It's a waste of time, money and resources.

Other drugs such as meth, heroin, fentanyl etc have no place on the streets. I fully acknowledge we won't ever win that war but it's a necessary battle in my opinion.

The amount of resources wasted on a guy with a pot pipe or a small baggie of weed is what I have the biggest issue with.
There are other considerations here, but for now just look at the death toll.

On the one hand some people who take opioids die of overdoses.
On the other hand, some people die because of the wars between rival drug gangs.

From my quick Google search the OD deaths are about double the gang-related murders, but a large percentage of ODs are because of doctoring with fentanyl. If drug sales were legal those deaths would likely disappear, along with the gang-related murders. Some people would still OD. I think the overall death rate would decline sharply if one could buy Heroin in a drugstore, but I'd guess about a 50% increase in use.
(09-23-2017, 10:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]You missed the point, par for the course.

Not even heroin?
(09-23-2017, 11:23 AM)Scarecrow Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for ending the war on MARIJUANA.  It's a waste of time, money and resources.

Other drugs such as meth, heroin, fentanyl etc have no place on the streets.  I fully acknowledge we won't ever win that war but it's a necessary battle in my opinion.  

The amount of resources wasted on a guy with a pot pipe or a small baggie of weed is what I have the biggest issue with.

You have a good point there but the biggest problem with opioids such as oxycodone and fentanyl is not recreational use. Unlike heron, which I have never heard of being prescribed anywhere, the other opioids become addicted to despite strict adherence to a doctor's prescription. That is what CVS is trying to tackle by restricting doses to 7 days instead of 10-18 like some doctors usually prescribe. I don't know if 7 days is long enough to help patients who typically get them for two weeks, but science supports the need for taking fewer pills if patients have a high risk of addiction and withdrawal symptoms.

How do we keep meth and similar drugs off the streets? Look at how states that allow marijuana possession for medical purposes, but not recreational use.
(09-23-2017, 01:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2017, 10:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]You missed the point, par for the course.

Not even heroin?

No. Who are you to say what I should be "allowed" to do with my own body. I bet you're a big time Pro-choicer too, it completes the entire package of hypocrisy with a nice big bow.