Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: No more "We believe in victory!" dances in the locker room
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The more time we get to see how Marrone operates as the head coach of this team, the more I like this guy.  Under Bradley, we'd see them dancing and chanting "We believe in victory!" after one of our 3 or 4 wins of the season.  That kind of celebration is fine if you're winning the division, or knocking off an opponent in the playoffs.  However, when the team is only winning 3 or 4 games a year, celebrating like you just won the Super Bowl is a little over the top.

Marrone's post game speech to the team was a clear example of how things have changed, and we're starting to see this translate to the field.  We're not over celebrating a win.  We're recognizing the effort that went into the win, and we're shifting focus to the next game.  Gotta like that.
Marrone is exactly what this team needed. Never too high or too low pending the results of the game. I think you said it in another thread but after the Titans loss under Gus, the team would have spiraled and get down on themselves. Under Marrone, lets move on to Baltimore.

Now after Baltimore, lets move on to the Jets.
MARRONE -- MR. SEPTEMBER !!!

2 WINS vs 1 LOSS

Meanwhile ..... Gus was 1-13 in September as the Jags head coach

Going to be super weird not going over to the Mock Draft websites when the calendar turns to October ---- need to send them a note stating I'm still alive but will be over later in the year or perhaps in 2018.
Walterfootball is probably having a heart attack moving us down the boards so he can't auto pencil in a qb
LoL ..... I'm also having a flashback of that loser Indy free agent special teams player that fit right into the Dancin' Gus philosophy.
It's funny because while watching the Oakland game last night, it reminded me of how this team has been on a steady slide starting during Del Rio's tenure. The Raiders looked ill-prepared for the game, and got completely overrun. There was a complete lack of discipline as the flags were flying, and silly mistakes were happening. Up until the final drive, the $100 million QB had a whopping total of 86 yards passing and 2 INTs. He padded his stats in the final drive so that he cracked 100 yards.

When Del Rio came on board, it was a reaction hire. He was brought in because he wasn't as heavy handed as Tom was, and the front office felt like they needed to go in a different direction. Weaver has subsequently called firing Tom the biggest regret of his ownership tenure. When Del Rio arrived, we were introduced to chopping wood, a player's coach who would suddenly shift to a disciplinarian only to go back to being a player's coach. There was never any real attention to detail.

Mularkey came in to replace Jack, and he was handed just an awful roster and a front office in transition. He was set up to fail, and he did as expected.

Bradley continued the approach of being a player's coach, positive at all times, and not nearly as focused on attention to detail as he was to just getting better. We all know how that fared.

Marrone brings back the discipline and attention to detail, and while that may rub some players the wrong way, it sure seems like everyone is starting to buy into the approach. It's not about getting better every week. It's about finding ways to win, and playing consistently. Eliminate mistakes, take advantage of mismatches, and play to win.

When they pulled the fake punt yesterday, the play by play guy started to rip the Jaguars for basically rubbing salt in the wound, but Lofton backed the Jags and basically shut him down. For me, it was a sign that this ain't Gus' Jaguars. Marrone wants to win, and he wants to make a statement. We're not going to play for a 1 point win. We're not going to take the foot off the gas. We're not going to let a team claw their way back into a game. We're going to take a lead, we're going to build on that lead, and we're going to press the opposition until they break.

For a team that has a decade of losing to shed, I like it. It may bother some people, but I like the fact that we've got a staff that's not afraid to take a kill shot. This team needs to build confidence and learn how to win, and yesterday was a great example of philosophy in action.
Speaking of Gus, has to sting a little bit to start 0-3 in SD. His defense doesn't look that great either.
I thought the fake punt was bush league at that point in the game.

I guess everybody has their own opinion.
(09-25-2017, 10:18 AM)archer56 Wrote: [ -> ]Walterfootball is probably having a heart attack moving us down the boards so he can't auto pencil in a qb

Walterfootball said the fake punt was a classless move by a classless HC, haha.

I still want to see them put back to back performances together. On paper, we should absolutely crush NY next week.
(09-25-2017, 10:37 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the fake punt was bush league at that point in the game.

From the look on Harbaugh's face afterwards so did he.
(09-25-2017, 10:42 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2017, 10:37 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the fake punt was bush league at that point in the game.

I can only imagine the outcry if somebody did it TO us.
(09-25-2017, 10:42 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]

We have had this conversation a million times as Jaguar fans when we thought people were running the score up on us. The common answer was "If you don't like it, stop it". Was it bush league? Sure. But at this point, we should take them where we can get them.
(09-25-2017, 10:20 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]LoL ..... I'm also having a flashback of that loser Indy free agent special teams player that fit right into the Dancin' Gus philosophy.

Sergio Brown?

I've seen opinions both ways. Personally I thought maybe you should keep that under wraps 'till you need it, but then again others are saying it's better to show that early so others have to prepare for the possibilty. So why the fake punt? Marrone simplified it. He basially said something like they worked on it this week and it was in the game plan, so we might as well use it. In other words, there wasn't any real philosophy behind the move. They were planning to do the fake punt win, lose or draw.
(09-25-2017, 10:32 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]When they pulled the fake punt yesterday, the play by play guy started to rip the Jaguars for basically rubbing salt in the wound, but Lofton backed the Jags and basically shut him down.  For me, it was a sign that this ain't Gus' Jaguars.  Marrone wants to win, and he wants to make a statement.  We're not going to play for a 1 point win.  We're not going to take the foot off the gas.  We're not going to let a team claw their way back into a game.  We're going to take a lead, we're going to build on that lead, and we're going to press the opposition until they break.  

That's the biggest thing that used to drive me crazy over the past few years.  Get a one point lead and go into prevent defense like it is a SAFE lead.  In the past 5 games Marrone has coached, it seems like this team wants to get a lead...get more of a lead, and then punch you in the mouth on defense.  Was the fake punt up 30+ bush league?  Maybe....but if you didn't want them to do it, then tackle the ball carrier and don't let him scamper all the way to the red zone.  The front 4 and secondary have been going out like PROFESSIONAL football players the past 3 weeks and setting the tone for this team.  They are gonna keep busting you int the face until you step up and stop them.  The offense just has to hang on for the ride and don't keep going 3 and out like last week.
(09-25-2017, 10:44 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]We have had this conversation a million times as Jaguar fans when we thought people were running the score up on us. The common answer was "If you don't like it, stop it". Was it bush league? Sure. But at this point, we should take them where we can get them.

Personally, I didn't take issue with it. It was still the 3rd quarter if I remember correctly. This very team did just give up 31 points in the second half of their prior weeks game.

Like the announcer said when the other questioned the move. " What are they going to do the entire fourth quarter? Just run up the middle? "
The situation that it happened in the game, it was completely uncalled for.

I'm wondering if it has EVER happened in a 37-0 blowout.
(09-25-2017, 10:36 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of Gus, has to sting a little bit to start 0-3 in SD. His defense doesn't look that great either.

I doubt it stings for Gus.  He's quite accustomed to not winning in September.
(09-25-2017, 10:46 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2017, 10:20 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]LoL ..... I'm also having a flashback of that loser Indy free agent special teams player that fit right into the Dancin' Gus philosophy.

Sergio Brown?

cha ching .... yes, that was him ... lol
It was still a little too early in the game to take their foot off the throttle. But I could be a little biased.
Pages: 1 2 3