Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Alejandro Villanveua
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wow, I'm so proud of this guy. He did the right thing. I can't believe the slack this guy is getting, from some teammates and the media. The left is so far out there. They are all for freedom of speech until it doesn't fit there narrative. 

Mike Tomlin should be ashamed to expect a veteran who served 3 tours to not attend the National Anthem. He was the real hero yesterday.
Mike Tomlin is an idiot, and the fashion they lost in was absolutely hilarious.
But wait... Josh Norman said everyone was united???
And I just read where the sale of his Jersey has sky rocketed
After watching Tomlin's interview yesterday, I actually can respect the action he and the team took. They did not want to get drug down into the political [BLEEP] as he put it. As far as Alejandro, I've had nothing but respect for him since day one. His actions just reinforced the type of man he is.
(09-25-2017, 01:22 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]After watching Tomlin's interview yesterday, I actually can respect the action he and the team took. They did not want to get drug down into the political [BLEEP] as he put it. As far as Alejandro, I've had nothing but respect for him since day one. His actions just reinforced the type of man he is.

Wrong. Tomlin try to take away the players his freedom of speech. By keeping them in locker room it showed more of the suse of protest. Any team that were forced to stay in the locker room should be fined.
(09-25-2017, 01:29 PM)BklynJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2017, 01:22 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]After watching Tomlin's interview yesterday, I actually can respect the action he and the team took. They did not want to get drug down into the political [BLEEP] as he put it. As far as Alejandro, I've had nothing but respect for him since day one. His actions just reinforced the type of man he is.

Wrong. Tomlin try to take away the players his freedom of speech. By keeping them in locker room it showed more of the suse of protest. Any team that were forced to stay in the locker room should be fined.

The Steelers stayed in the locker room because they didn't want to be part of the spectacle. Clearly, as evidenced by Villanueva standing at the end of the tunnel, he didn't have a problem with his players going out for the anthem, but didn't want to have the storyline be about how many Steelers knelt and how many sat and how many stood and who was holding whose hand, etc.

You're taking your own feelings on the situation and projecting them onto the intent of others.

Actually the players decided that if they couldn't completely agree on if they were going to protest or not they were going to stay in the locker rooms to remove themselves from it altogether. Alejandro decided to do his own thing and go out for the anthem.  

Likewise with those kneeling it should completely be his own decision to do that. I don't think he should be knocked for it even if he did go completely against the wishes of his teammates.

Tomlin and owners were attempting to stay out of the negative light that was sure to shine. These are employees and they were abiding by their employer's wishes as mutually agreed upon. Where did they give up 1st Amendment rights? FYI, freedom of speech does have limits. You walk around your job speaking your mind and "peacefully" protesting? Nah.

I would actually prefer these absentee forms than to a public display of outright disrespect.

Not that it matters to the overall situation, but the players actually stood in the tunnel about 15 feet behind Alejandro and apparently most were shocked he ventured out alone.

Did you read anywhere that it was a team vote? You don't read? Didn't think so....

It was a team vote that was narrowly voted to stay in the locker room.  Good for him for walking out and doing what he did, but Trump is the one that forced the hand of the NFL.  He can't seem to keep that fat mouth of his shut.  What did Trump expect was going to happen when he made those comments?  32 owners were just going to start firing people?  No, those owners are better business people than he ever could have been.
I do feel for Tomlin. He's always struck me as a good guy.
I may catch heat for this but I don't think Trump is as ignorant in this situation as most would believe. I see this a pretty strategic in that he forced the ball into the NFL's court so to speak. How long has this kneeling been going on with zero action except more and more people being divided because they may not necessarily agree with another opinion? This is now a put up or shut-up situation. The NFL has to address the issue head-on one way or another. If not, all credibility is lost. Not only that, it draws attention to what individual players are or are not doing. In addition, this also forces sponsors to take action or get on the sideline. If anything, Trump just helped gain more traction to actually address the social issues at the cause of the kneeling, fist-raising, or sitting. Whatever your preferred silent protest method.
Heat for what?

The public was already against this and it was almost 2 to 1. In reality, the nfls RESPONSE proves that a lot of people had a problem with kneeling including a majority of players. There are roughly 1600 NFL players only about 250 knelt. That's 8 per team. Standing with arms locked was the consensus symbol of unity that the president applauded.
Shannon Sharp said Villanueva was wrong for standing with his team. I would like to state the double standard here. If you are ok with Kaepernick taking a knee, or the others taking a knee before the game, then you should be ok with the players that want to stand for the anthem when their teams choose to remain in the locker room for the anthem.

I get that you think there's a team mentality to it, but to some it is a symbol of patriotism that runs deep that you can't take from them. Shannon Sharp is the biggest jerk on tv these days.
Oh, the irony of protesting the anthem of a country that worked to establish independence and abolished slavery, then you stand respectfully during the anthem of a former ruling country that introduced it to the Americas. How twisted.
He's the Steelers version of Tim Tebow; sucks as an NFL player but a really good guy overall.
Villanueva now regrets his decision. He actually says he feels embarrassed every time he sees the picture.
He did the right thing, he stood for something he believes in and has fought for. It is pretty easy to see people are not happy with the country and are showing that by sitting out of the national anthem, it is clearly important to him. Everyone has the right to do what they believe on this issue and this goes to show it is not a simple problem but a complicated one. The thing is he stood for respect to his fallen comrades and those that have fallen before him, and they sit because many feel they are second class citizens and not getting the respect the country says is for all. You can be for both actions.

This is no longer a debate to me. All lives matter, we need reform in law enforcement, we need more opportunities for an oppressed class, we need responsibility from that same class and the law enforcement giving them issues. We need to look within our broken communities and find a way to fix them. We need to make the nation worthy enough for all citizens to stand and appreciate. Its not about patriotism its about wanting a better world for all.
(09-25-2017, 06:09 PM)Frailbones Wrote: [ -> ]Villanueva now regrets his decision. He actually says he feels embarrassed every time he sees the picture.

Dude is being forced ton and you know it.
"I made my teammates look bad"..

Ummm.. No.. His teammates made themselves look bad..
Pages: 1 2 3