Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Ravens Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies for my delay in getting this out.  For whatever they are worth, here are my thoughts on the game.

1.  If you recall, I have long been an advocate for Marrone.  Yesterday's game epitomizes what I saw in Marrone.  The vaunted Ravens defense was kept off balance all game long by the Jaguars' offensive approach.  The team attacked deep where they did not do too much the previous week.  He dusted off Marcedes Lewis, and was rewarded by three TDs from the old Y, and four TDs and no pick from Bortles, who is operating without a #1 WR.  I don't care what anyone says, but I absolutely LOVED the fake punt up 37-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter.  A common complaint from fans, whether in sports bars, radio call in shows, or message boards, is the failure of teams to put other teams away, to go too conservative too soon.  Here we have a guy going for fake punts up 37-0, and still people complain.  Screw that.  We've been on the other side of lopsided scores so often during these last ten years in the wilderness, I thought the visiting scoreboard points part was tallied by a pinball machine.  Although this is quite early to talk postseason, these points may help us down the road when it comes to tiebreakers.  In years past-in fact just last year-a disappointing loss would have meant a string of disappointing losses to follow.  He seems to have guided this team past an early disappointing loss to an even more impressive win.  We'll see whether or not this team is mature enough to follow up this win with a win over the Jets-a team on paper we SHOULD beat.  But so far, he seems to be everything Bradley wasn't for us. 

2.  Considering he was playing his second game without Robinson, Bortles played an outstanding game against a well regarded Ravens' defense.  Four TDs and 0 INTs is beyond most of the expectations most seemed to have for this game.  He attacked downfield, didn't try to do too much, and didn't throw into coverage.  If something wasn't there, he threw it away.  It is my deepest hope his smart play continues throughout the remainder of the season and beyond.

3.  Without question, the reason Bortles has had two good games out of three is because of the offensive line.   Through three games against three good defenses, the team has surrendered all of three sacks.  They made it through the Texans and Ravens defenses without giving up a sack.  The OL is on a pace to give up all of SIXTEEN (16) sacks on the year-a sack a game folks.  To my knowledge, that is an unheard of level of protection for Jaguars QBs.  I think some credit has to go to the team's offensive approach, keeping Bortles out of too many third and long situations.  Now I think the O-Line could open some more holes for Fournette.  But the "big uglies'" performance, while not perfect, is a huge reason for this team's early success.

4.  Once again, the defense played some outstanding ball on every level of the defense.  Much maligned Dante Fowler set the tone early one with a first series sack of Flacco.  Calais Campbell notched a half sack and forced a fumble.  LB Myles Jack is making fans remember why he was considered as such a good prospect.  The few passes that Flacco was able to complete were quickly brought to a halt by the speedy Jack.  Telvin Smith recovered the fumble that Calais Campbell forced and had a long return.  Actually, one member of each level of the defense (Fowler, Smith, and Gipson) have had long returns during these first three weeks.  Ramsey and Bouye, as we all hoped, completely shut down the Ravens receivers, both notching their first INTs of the year in spectacular fashion  The longest reception allowed by the whole team in the entire game was EIGHT (8) yards!    You could nitpick and assert the team only had two sacks against a depleted Ravens OL, but considering the vast number of 3 and outs, it's hard to blame them.  I think the defense could be more stout against the run, but the pass defense is exciting,

5.  I thought when Myers had his opening kickoff sail out of bounds, I sighed and thought "Here we go again."  But as it turns out, Myers and the special teams had a good game.  That kick, and possibly Marquise Lee's mis-fielding of a punt that allowed the ball to roll inside the ten, were the only discernible blemishes on special teams play.  Myers was perfect on FGs and extra points.  The few times Nortman punted, he had good punts.  There weren't any long kickoff or punt returns allowed.  Stupid penalties and free rushers blocking kicks were also absent.  Thus far, the contrast between this year's special teams play provides stark, almost blinding contrast to the inept special teams play of seasons past.

6.  That sure was a great route run by Hurns on that TD.  He has done that move quite a few times over the years, and it is absolutely sick!

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-Had 17 carries for 59 yards and a TD.  Doesn't seem like much, but he gets some really tough yards on runs that turns most 2nd and 8 or 9s into 2nd and 5 or 6.  Doesn't seem like much, but it's huge.  Had two longer yards called back by penalty.  Still don't fully understand the RB rotation though.
  • Cam Robinson-went up against Wily veteran Terrell Suggs and did not give up a sack.
  • Dawaune Smoot-had a really nice hustle play to tackle a runner.
  • DeDe Westbrook-DNP; on IR, eligible to return circa week 8 or 9.
  • Blair Brown-got his first game action...did not really stand out
  • Jalen Myrick-DNP
  • Keelan Cole-had a nice catch.  Hearing announcers relay story of his improvement over the first three weeks was encouraging.
8.  I think it's great to see Marrone, Hackett, and DeCamillis get some use out of Corey Grant.  It was a shame to see all of that speed go to waste.

9.  Bottom line-Anyone else noticing a trend with these Marrone teams?  In his entire tenure, he's had four of the five most impressive team performances this team has had in years with the Christmas eve trouncing of the tacks, the opening day surprise whipping of the Texans, and now the 44-7 rout of the Ravens.  Even the losses during that stretch had a veneer of competence lacking since the early JDR era.  Even the one "bad" loss-last week vs the tacks, the team was down only 9-3 in the 3rd quarter.  This week's game is a huge test against the Jets, but if the team performs up to expectations, we'll go into Pittsburgh 3-1.  Man these posts are great to write after wins!
Terrific post, thank you. I was most impressed with Myles Jack, he seemed to be all over the field. I loved Telvin Smith's leap over the trash to scoop up the fumble. Great play.

Not seeing any love for Dave on the board yet. Give the guy his due- he's put together this defense and, overall, what looks to be a decent team despite being handicapped for 4 years by Coach Sprinkles. Joeckel probably could have been coached up, Fowler and Bortles seem to be getting it after getting away from Gus.
(09-25-2017, 07:50 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Terrific post, thank you. I was most impressed with Myles Jack, he seemed to be all over the field. I loved Telvin Smith's leap over the trash to scoop up the fumble. Great play.

Not seeing any love for Dave on the board yet. Give the guy his due- he's put together this defense and, overall, what looks to be a decent team despite being handicapped for 4 years by Coach Sprinkles. Joeckel probably could have been coached up, Fowler and Bortles seem to be getting it after getting away from Gus.

The Dave post was coming later, assuming this team keeps winning.

Jack is showing impressive sideline to sideline range.  Even against the Tacks, he was right on Walker on many plays.  Mariota and Walker just made good plays.