Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Oline expert with an in-depth look at the Jaguars offensive line this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.fanragsports.com/film-room-j...me-and-ol/ 

Really good stuff here. Biggest surprise this season for me has been the offensive line. Performing like one of the best in the league right now which is insane considering what we saw in preseason. 

Marrone+Flaherty have them playing like a unit that's played together for ages. Hackett is calling the right plays for them (Unlike Olson)  and Lewis + Bohanon are blocking like mad men.
Awesome read.

Marrone, Hackett and Flaherty's work with the line and run game have changed this offense dramatically and simultaneously taken pressure off of Bortles. Hats off to them.

If they can continue to make this work as defenses prepare more and more for it, the Jags offense might actually play some meaningful games in December - even with Bortles behind center.

Credit the players too. Cann, Parnell and Omameh have all elevated their play since the preseason and Lewis' blocking has improved as well. (Clearly Marrone and Hackett saved much of their smoke and mirrors for the regular season and that has helped, but these players are executing consistently and showing more than they did in August.)
Great article!
The line looks improved and finally we are playing to players' strenghts. Parnell may have some penalties but he's nasty. Those last couple of gifs of him are awesome.
Can't blame us for being skeptical after all we've been through but it does drive home how little we know as fans. Hopefully they keep up the consistency throughout the year.
Seems to just beat the drum for how much coaching has morphed this team. This type of attention to detail was never seen under the previous head coach
Still trying to figure this out.  PFF can be so horrible at times.  We are top 5 in rushing, have been at the bottom of the league in that category the last 5 years. Bortles having a much better year.  Ray Charles could see most of our starting has played better than the grade given so far.  Cam's grade is the worst.

[Image: 6HqfBJB.jpg]

Jack with the 4th highest record on the whole team is nice to see. He has played great so far this year. Linder is also a good bit underrated. He has played like he has since we drafted him
(09-29-2017, 04:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Still trying to figure this out.  PFF can be so horrible at times.  We are top 5 in rushing, have been at the bottom of the league in that category the last 5 years. Bortles having a much better year.  Ray Charles could see most of our starting has played better than the grade given so far.  Cam's grade is the worst.

Jack with the 3rd highest record on the whole team is nice to see.  He has played great so far this year.  Linder is also a good bit underrated.  He has played like he has since we drafted him

PFF's algorithm is far from perfect. Linemen and secondary players get especially skewed by big plays given up.   Cam had a few typical rookie whiffs in protection that have disproportionately skewed his rating.
(09-29-2017, 05:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2017, 04:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Still trying to figure this out.  PFF can be so horrible at times.  We are top 5 in rushing, have been at the bottom of the league in that category the last 5 years. Bortles having a much better year.  Ray Charles could see most of our starting has played better than the grade given so far.  Cam's grade is the worst.

Jack with the 3rd highest record on the whole team is nice to see.  He has played great so far this year.  Linder is also a good bit underrated.  He has played like he has since we drafted him

PFF's algorithm is far from perfect. Linemen and secondary players get especially skewed by big plays given up.   Cam had a few typical rookie whiffs in protection that have disproportionately skewed his rating.

Thats been known since they started giving players ratings.  Just saying you think they could be a bit better supposedly the time they put in.  I honestly question the time put in at making those grades. QBS and LBs get skewed big time as well.
It's been said many times and it's never been shown to be more true than now, offensive line play is all about team work. The coaching staff has everyone on the same page and well prepared. I said for years that Gus was squandering talent, now it's showing in a significant way.
(09-29-2017, 05:49 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]It's been said many times and it's never been shown to be more true than now, offensive line play is all about team work. The coaching staff has everyone on the same page and well prepared. I said for years that Gus was squandering talent, now it's showing in a significant way.

Play calling as well but that fall in with coaching

Look who is graded out the highest on offense. Hitman Hurns, which i think is a fair rating for him
No clue how to look it up from the old board and I hate to be that guy but I called it post draft when the team did not pick up o-linemen in free agency and the draft (except Cam). Way back when the team had a horrific game, the o-line played putrid. TC stated the offensive line played poorly, TC said it will get fixed. He gave no details but the o-line was not an issue the rest of the season and there was no personnel change. I have no idea what magic wand Tom Coughlin weaved that day concerning the offensive line but I will never doubt him after that.

[Image: 6HqfBJB.jpg]

Jack with the 4th highest record on the whole team is nice to see.  He has played great so far this year.  Linder is also a good bit underrated.  He has played like he has since we drafted him

I don't at all agree with those OL rankings. For starters, Linder has been lights out and probably should be up near 90. Next up, Robinson has been absolutely fantastic excusing that one blatant whiff he had. He should easily be around 70. Omameh and Parnell might be graded ok, but Cann from what I've seen is playing better than Omameh. Maybe I've missed some whiffs on his part, but he's at least a 55. 
(09-29-2017, 02:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome read.

Marrone, Hackett and Flaherty's work with the line and run game have changed this offense dramatically and simultaneously taken pressure off of Bortles.  Hats off to them.

If they can continue to make this work as defenses prepare more and more for it, the Jags offense might actually play some meaningful games in December - even with Bortles behind center.

Credit the players too.  Cann, Parnell and Omameh have all elevated their play since the preseason and Lewis' blocking has improved as well. (Clearly Marrone and Hackett saved much of their smoke and mirrors for the regular season and that has helped, but these players are executing consistently and showing more than they did in August.)

Well that's embarrassing. I just made a whole new thread to say pretty much what you just said lol. I gotta read first more often.
Parnell is the most improved on the oline imo. Did have the 2 penalties last week but none in the first 2 games.
(09-30-2017, 09:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Parnell is the most improved on the oline imo. Did have the 2 penalties last week but none in the first 2 games.

Linder has really taken his game up from last year. If you watch him, he's typically making some huge key block every running play. Between him and Marcedes, they control DLs. His play reminds me more of early on during the year before last year when Linder was dominating from the RG spot. 
(09-29-2017, 05:49 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]It's been said many times and it's never been shown to be more true than now, offensive line play is all about team work. The coaching staff has everyone on the same page and well prepared. I said for years that Gus was squandering talent, now it's showing in a significant way.

You were so right, too. For all of the crap we hear about "poor drafting", especially #1 picks, I agree that we could more accurately blame poor coaching.

Joeckel- coachable or just a guy? I think he's the poster boy here for bad Sprinkles coaching.
Bortles- jury came in but now the jury is back out; could he have benefitted from better coaching?
Fowler- ACL injury may have helped as it kept bad coaching away from him for a year
Ramsey- probably too good and not enough time to be ruined by Coach Sprink

How then could I explain the success of the lower draft picks with the same coaching? Two more bloody marys and I'll take shot at it. Maybe they are hungrier?
(09-30-2017, 10:17 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]

You were so right, too. For all of the crap we hear about "poor drafting", especially #1 picks, I agree that we could more accurately blame poor coaching.

Joeckel- coachable or just a guy? I think he's the poster boy here for bad Sprinkles coaching.
Bortles- jury came in but now the jury is back out; could he have benefitted from better coaching?
Fowler- ACL injury may have helped as it kept bad coaching away from him for a year
Ramsey- probably too good and not enough time to be ruined by Coach Sprink

How then could I explain the success of the lower draft picks with the same coaching? Two more bloody marys and I'll take shot at it. Maybe they are hungrier?

I have to agree on Joeckel. Gus ruined him. Dude was a guaranteed grade A top prospect.
(09-30-2017, 06:55 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2017, 02:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome read.

Marrone, Hackett and Flaherty's work with the line and run game have changed this offense dramatically and simultaneously taken pressure off of Bortles.  Hats off to them.

Credit the players too.  Cann, Parnell and Omameh have all elevated their play since the preseason and Lewis' blocking has improved as well. (Clearly Marrone and Hackett saved much of their smoke and mirrors for the regular season and that has helped, but these players are executing consistently and showing more than they did in August.)

Well that's embarrassing. I just made a whole new thread to say pretty much what you just said lol. I gotta read first more often.

Giving Flaherty some props for getting this line up to snuff is thread worthy.
Thanks for posting this.

IMHO the OL has been the unit that has exceeded by expectations so far this season. Cam was put in an extremely difficult situation; and all he has done is perform his job admirably.