Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A loud shout out to Pat Flaherty thus far
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Haven't seen this guy mentioned much since the offseason ended; there was a lot of excitement about his ability to coach up an offensive line, but I had no idea he could do this much damage this fast. 

The season is young, but I honestly expected this offensive line to be a bottom 5-10 unit in the league. While I'm still not sure about how much talent we have there, it is obvious that the coaching has been upgraded in a major way over what Marrone's oline group was producing over the last few years. 

Imagine if we had been able to out-bid the browns for Kevin Zeitler's services...man oh man.

If the oline can keep this up, we may be on to something folks. Top 5 running game and least amount of sacks allowed so far....Those kind of stats will carry us to the playoffs.

Edit: This should've been in the other thread about the oline, but I didn't see it. Sorry not sorry.
I agree, however, sometimes results come from the total team- offense, defense, and special teams. I'm not saying Flaherty hasn't done a good job, but the offensive line's job is soooo much easier when the team has the lead, and in two of our games, we have been so far ahead, we could basically do anything we wanted.

I'm just saying it's hard to put your finger on one phase of the game and give credit without crediting the entire team, all three phases. So who gets credit for improved offensive line play? I would say all 48 players and the entire coaching staff.
(09-30-2017, 07:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, however, sometimes results come from the total team- offense, defense, and special teams.  I'm not saying Flaherty hasn't done a good job, but the offensive line's job is soooo much easier when the team has the lead, and in two of our games, we have been so far ahead, we could basically do anything we wanted.  

I'm just saying it's hard to put your finger on one phase of the game and give credit without crediting the entire team, all three phases.  So who gets credit for improved offensive line play?  I would say all 48 players and the entire coaching staff.

I don't mean to suggest that Pat has been the sole one responsible for the improvements so far, but reading up on his wiki page (I wish I was that cool) tells me he's been a well regarded offensive line coach for quite a while now. We are lucky to have him on board, and Im not sure we would if not for Tom Coughlin.
As good as I feel Doug has been as a head coach for us, I really feel Pat has taken Doug to school on coaching this oline. I know in 07 they had the Giants with the best online in football. No elite players just a great oline that worked together and lead the league in rushing in 08 . Not to mention they beat the undefeated Pats in the SB and he also won another SB as their oline coach a few years later