Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Game Plan Week 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought I'd share a few thoughts on the new coaching staff's game planning thus far and what they may do this week. 

Of course, I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts and observations as well. 

First of all, planning for individual opponents is clearly a larger priority to this coaching staff. I'm beginning to feel confident that they will attack opponent's weaknesses and attempt to bolster our own weaknesses each week.  This is not a confidence I've had in a Jags staff for many years.

Listening to Marrone's radio show and interviews it's clear that he's thorough in the film room when scouting the next opponent and in gauging his own team's preparedness. 
Three things I've noticed from him:
  • he mentions specific situational stats for opposing quarterbacks
  • discusses the situational tendencies of an opposing defense 
  • he talks about "what have we shown" in terms of having offensive plays that the opponent will not have tape of. 

This week Hackett has an interesting challenge.

The jets front seven are all solid and gap-sound. They may actually be tough to run on despite their numbers. 
They let the Bills run on them, then the Raiders run numbers against them were actually low aside from two big individual runs that skewed the average. Last week they controlled the phins run game effectively. 
 So - they've gotten better against the run every week as far as I can tell. 

I believe they'll sell out to stop the run and force Bortles to throw.  

This is where things get interesting for Hackett. What cards are still up his sleeve? 
I think he'll need to let Bortles throw early as well as get a bit creative with the run game. 
They've had some success sprinkling in both inside and outside zone blocking plays already. Clever use of that plus a RB pass play or two that they haven't put on film yet may be on tap to keep the jets front off balance. 

How does Hackett use Bortles?  I really don't know how he might address this. Thus far nearly half (40%) of this team's scoring drives have come on a silver platter via turnovers from the defense. While the Jags D is capable of continuing the trend, it would be great for the offense to generate some early scoring drives on their own when they need to. What Hackett dials up in the passing game and how well Bortles executes will be huge in these situations. 
Skrine, Claiborne and Adams are all capable of taking advantage of poorly thrown balls. Hopefully Bortles continues to identify man coverage well and protects the football instead of forcing it into coverage. Halftime adjustment may be a key factor in the pass game if they don't have success through the air early on.
This is a week for big boy football. The pass game should emphasize the screen pass and the seams behind the linebackers. You can take advantage of their desire to stop the run by beating them in the zone from the LS to the 8 yard marker and by having Bortles move the pocket.
Definitely first time I’ve felt confident in awhile of the competency in our coaching staff.

However, football has become kind of a boring game to me In some respects because in order to win, all you have to do from a philosophical standpoint is obviously run the ball effectively, stop the run effectively and avoid turnovers at all cost (unless you have Tom Brady on your team).

I think strategizing for each team is obviously very important, but none of that will matter if you’re turning the ball over and you can’t run the ball. I’d argue teams beat themselves moreso than another team dominating them. However, last week versus the Ravens was exceptional, they clearly liked something they saw with how Marcedes could potentially dominate. He was a HUGE part of the game plan (makes me wonder if Lewis told MJD what they were seeing on film before the game)

Anyways, If we can avoid turnovers on Offense and score about 17 points, I think we win on the shoulders of our D. Blake needs to manage and hopefully get some big throws early on to make them respect our passing game to free up Fournette. Because we will have a tough time dominating Wilkerson and Williams.
(09-30-2017, 04:55 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]...

I think strategizing for each team is obviously very important, but none of that will matter if you’re turning the ball over and you can’t run the ball. I’d argue teams beat themselves moreso than another team dominating them. However, last week versus the Ravens was exceptional, they clearly liked something they saw with how Marcedes could potentially dominate. He was a HUGE part of the game plan (makes me wonder if Lewis told MJD what they were seeing on film before the game)

I thought the same thing. Those guys are definitely still pals. Lewis may have let him in on the game plan a bit.
Lewis said he knew nothing about MJD prediction.
(09-30-2017, 04:55 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely first time I’ve felt confident in awhile of the competency in our coaching staff.

However, football has become kind of a boring game to me In some respects because in order to win, all you have to do from a philosophical standpoint is obviously run the ball effectively, stop the run effectively and avoid turnovers at all cost (unless you have Tom Brady on your team).

Anyways, If we can avoid turnovers on Offense and score about 17 points, I think we win on the shoulders of our D. Blake needs to manage and hopefully get some big throws early on to make them respect our passing game to free up Fournette. Because we will have a tough time dominating Wilkerson and Williams.
Football has always been about running the ball, not turning the ball over, and playing good defense.  It's always a winning formula.
(09-30-2017, 07:28 PM)DuvalJag Wrote: [ -> ]Lewis said he knew nothing about MJD prediction.

Yeah, I seen that interview too
I think it's kind of a mental trap game. I have heard a lot of 3-1 Jaguars and nobody talking about the possible 2-2 Jaguars, as if it couldn't happen.

As for specifics, I think maybe get Fournette involved in the passing game early. Or target TE O'Shaunessy like we did with Lewis last week. Hackett will have a batch of pass plays to run against a stacked box.

I think the biggest factor is that our D continues its stellar play. If that continues, the offense doesn't have to do that much, just play smart.
I think we see a spread early on with the RBs used in the passing game (extended run plays basically) and like mention above, O'Shaunessy getting some looks behind the LBs. Basically, we take what the Jets think is a winning formula of forcing the pass and the Jags do that right from the get-go to loosen up the run game. I really don't see the Jags calling a drastically different game from what we saw last week. That D is vulnerable out wide and on the edges, at least opposite of Adams. Pretty tough in the middle run wise. From what I've seen, the jets defense is not very fast to the ball. Could see a ton of missed tackles. I really think the Jags have this in the bag if penalties are kept to a minimum.