Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I remove all the blame from Blake, it's the coaches and WR's too
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Blake gets some blame of course, but it hit me like a truck yesterday: The receivers never were that good. We pumped up Arob and Hurns and Lee but I never saw what I needed from any of them.

Arob- Great at jump balls
Hurns- Good at catches over the middle
Lee- Good at....I guess being quick and making 1 of 3 catches he should

We haven't seen any of them make a 10 yard catch, break some tackles and take it 50 yards to the house. That's my idea of a #1 wr.

We think Lee has that ability, but here in Jax we've become accustomed to "well we think this player has the ability to ________". And being 100...that thinking is faulty.

A player with such ability shows it immediately and consistently.

The coach's get out coached too often too. If a team takes you out your personality they've out-coached you. And the offensive game plans are extremely inconsistent. There's very little attack and more teaction.

After the beautiful, daring plan against Baltimore, it's like they took a week off in the game planning.
At Baltimore, Blake was 20-31 for a 64% completion rate.

At New York, Blake was 15-35 for 42% completion rate.

That’s all that happened. Good Blake showed up in London and bad Blake showed up at MetLife
"I remove all the blame from Blake..."

"Blake gets some blame..."

Cry Huh

I agree with you about the quality of the game plan compared to the London game.
It's Blake. He's the ultimate tease in the sense that once in a while he'll have a game like he had in London. He's a great athlete and really does work hard at his craft. He just doesn't have the ability to reliably and accurately put the ball where it needs to be. We haven't had a reliable QB really since Garrard (although Leftwich was a gunslinger, he didn't have the work ethic to really be a top tier QB). Until we get that guy we'll always be flirting with 8-8 at best.
(10-02-2017, 08:29 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]It's Blake. He's the ultimate tease in the sense that once in a while he'll have a game like he had in London. He's a great athlete and really does work hard at his craft.  He just doesn't have the ability to reliably and accurately put the ball where it needs to be. We haven't had a reliable QB really since Garrard (although Leftwich was a gunslinger, he didn't have the work ethic to really be a top tier QB).  Until we get that guy we'll always be flirting with 8-8 at best.

Leftwich had a great work ethic. His big problem was brittle bones.
Slow feet and release are probably why he got killed more than his bones.
I've seen Hurns take a 5 yard catch 50 yards to the house before.

Marvin Harris, Wes Welker, Jimmy Smith, etc. Wasn't ever gonna take a 5 yard catch and go 50 yards to the house.

Your boy Blake is just cha-rash
Bortles sucks. So many duck passes and balls batted down. He sucks
Yeah wonder if it is time to make a change at QB in week 5?
17 doesn't hold.

Lee makes a gimme catch.

Our rookie LT learns (and he is playing great otherwise) how to knock down a guys hands, and we are looking at 3-1 and Blake is doing fine managing things and making plays from time to time.

The WR's are simply blowing, and so are the TE's at making anything happen at all.
(10-02-2017, 09:11 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]17 doesn't hold.

Lee makes a gimme catch.

Our rookie LT learns (and he is playing great otherwise) how to knock down a guys hands, and we are looking at 3-1 and Blake is doing fine managing things and making plays from time to time.  

The WR's are simply blowing, and so are the TE's at making anything happen at all.

When you're well under 50% completion, it's not on everyone else but the quarterback.
The wideouts are overrated and ARob got exposed last year. Hurns is way overpaid for his production and Lee is just a track athlete geared up. It's a damn shame TC or whoever traded away JT80 for a goodfornothing sleazeball, could've used all the receiving options available with ARobs injury.

But at least we're not fielding Mike Brown or John Broussard so it could be worse I guess... I remember the days of balls bouncing off face masks.
(10-02-2017, 08:56 PM)Passepartout Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah wonder if it is time to make a change at QB in week 5?

Nope. I think if we see a change, it will be at the bye. I don't think you will like what the other QBs have to offer, Henne and Nassib are bums. If we hit 2-4 at the bye I would not be shocked if we pull Blake. The more losses we accrue, the more likely it is he gets benched to avoid a major injury late in the season.
(10-02-2017, 11:23 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]The wideouts are overrated and ARob got exposed last year. Hurns is way overpaid for his production and Lee is just a track athlete geared up. It's a damn shame TC or whoever traded away JT80 for a goodfornothing sleazeball, could've used all the receiving options available with ARobs injury.

But at least we're not fielding Mike Brown or John Broussard so it could be worse I guess... I remember the days of balls bouncing off face masks.

When your QB can't throw a spiral hardly and is off target most times it's easy to say the wide outs are a problem.
(10-02-2017, 11:37 PM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2017, 11:23 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]The wideouts are overrated and ARob got exposed last year. Hurns is way overpaid for his production and Lee is just a track athlete geared up. It's a damn shame TC or whoever traded away JT80 for a goodfornothing sleazeball, could've used all the receiving options available with ARobs injury.

When your QB can't throw a spiral hardly and is off target most times it's easy to say the wide outs are a problem.

They routinely drop passes

Can't blame Blake for everything
Blake was bad. He gets a whole ton of undue criticism, but he was very bad last Sunday. Overall, he's still a solid quarterback, however. He's been saddled by very little offensive talent. We drafted Arob and Lee, and then Hurns played well and our front office thought mission complete. It turns out that Arob is better suited as a WR2 and Lee and Hurns are just depth guys. We have no talent at tight end. Someone on the run side of our offensive line gets mauled almost every run play. We've brought in almost no veteran leadership in free agency. Our only free agents of note are Ivory (backup RB) and Parnell (below average RT). Whoever is at quarterback next year will likely struggle with inconsistency as well if all we do is add a rookie or two. We need a couple of veteran leaders added to that offensive meeting room.
Blake is like 50% of the problem, 25% can go to the pass catchers being extremely subpar, 20% can go to very inconsistent playcalling/coaching, and 5% can go to the run defense.
(10-02-2017, 08:53 PM)Thundersnow Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles sucks. So many duck passes and balls batted down. He sucks

I have not seen many ducks this year. His spiral has definitely improved. I noticed a lot of balls were batted down Sunday but it was not nearly as bad at Houston, which has a better pass defense on paper. And I will take a batted ball over a sack any day because we don't lose yards on those plays.
(10-03-2017, 12:08 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Blake was bad.  He gets a whole ton of undue criticism, but he was very bad last Sunday.  Overall, he's still a solid quarterback, however.  He's been saddled by very little offensive talent.  We drafted Arob and Lee, and then Hurns played well and our front office thought mission complete.  It turns out that Arob is better suited as a WR2 and Lee and Hurns are just depth guys.  We have no talent at tight end.  Someone on the run side of our offensive line gets mauled almost every run play.  We've brought in almost no veteran leadership in free agency.  Our only free agents of note are Ivory (backup RB) and Parnell (below average RT).  Whoever is at quarterback next year will likely struggle with inconsistency as well if all we do is add a rookie or two.  We need a couple of veteran leaders added to that offensive meeting room.

What Jaguars games have you been watching? The only problem with Allen Robinson now is his left ACL. He was our best WR since being drafted. He is not going to be elite but as a WR1 I am glad to have him. Marqise Lee and Allen Hurns are playing out of position this year because of the Robinson injury. I saw this happen to Green Bay when Jordy Nelson tore his ACL in preseason and Randall Cobb, who normally is the slot receiver, had to move outside. Cobb proceeded to have the worst season of his career. Give the guy who should be a slot receiver a break. He will be fine next season with Robinson back in the WR1 spot.

The QB next year obviously will be Blake Bortles if he stays healthy because we picked up the fifth year option. Smart executives would not pay a QB $18 million for one season if the plan was to demote him on the depth chart.
Glad that you are a career student and that you don't make the decisions for any of your 10 football teams.

You obviously don't know that Blake's option isn't guaranteed and that at any point the Jags can cut him and not pay him a dime unless he were injured, obviously. Obviously, it's obvious. Obviously.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5