Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags "Teal Curtain" Defense is Historically Dominant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For anyone that would debate that the 2017 Jaguars "Teal Curtain" defense is one of the best of all time, marinate on these numbers:

1. '17 Jags Total Defensive Yards Allowed: 1250 Yards/ '85 Bears Total Defensive Yards Allowed: 4135 Yards

2. '17 Jags Total Points Allowed: 74 Points/ '00 Ravens Total Defensive Points Allowed: 165 Points

Unless the calculator on my computer is broken, I would say that the Teal Curtain has held opponents to a fraction of points and yards as the "greatest" defenses of modern football.  Furthermore, I would contend that if you put the players from the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens up against today's modern offenses they would be embarrassed (granted some Bears players are in their sixties).  

We are watching greatness.  Go Jags!
FYI our defensive line has the official nickname Sacksonville. If you don't believe me, check out the team's Twitter account. It was Malik Jackson's idea. Teal Curtain would have been a good nickname years ago when we wore teal jerseys at all home games.

"Historical" is only true for the franchise, not the whole league, which is nearly 100 years old. Give us a whole season to show it before using that term.
There is no doubt this team is bound for the Super Bowl and will go down in history as the best defense of all time.  In fact we may end up with all 11 starters on defense going to the Pro Bowl as well. 

The only problem with a defense this dominant is that all of the coaches are going to get head coaching gigs next year.
But the run defense is turrible
(10-03-2017, 02:19 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]But the run defense is terrible.

I am sure the OP was only referring to pass defense. That part of it is much better than most teams right now.
I'm going to assume the OP is bordering on facetious with this post, but I'll play along. Yes, the defense is good. Maybe even "historical " in terms of Jags franchise history maybe. But league history? Cmon it's only been 4 games, and sorry, but this past Sunday's rush defense performance would make the 2006 Colts blush.
(10-03-2017, 02:27 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to assume the OP is bordering on facetious with this post,  but I'll play along. Yes, the defense is good. Maybe even "historical " in terms of Jags franchise history maybe. But league history? Cmon it's only been 4 games, and sorry, but this past Sunday's rush defense performance would make the 2006 Colts blush.

The Omaha's are notorious for these types of posts...

Trying to inject a little laugh into an otherwise sad start to a week lol
(10-03-2017, 02:27 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to assume the OP is bordering on facetious with this post, but I'll play along. Yes, the defense is good. Maybe even "historical " in terms of Jags franchise history maybe. But league history? C'mon it's only been 4 games, and sorry, but this past Sunday's rush defense performance would make the 2006 Colts blush.

What about the 2006 Colts? Our run defense reminds me of the 2016 Broncos, who were 27th at one point and gave up over 200 yards against the Falcons.

If there is any league-wide historical statistic, it would be 10 sacks in one game, which I had never heard of before. I could believe that one, but nothing else.
(10-03-2017, 02:40 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2017, 02:27 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to assume the OP is bordering on facetious with this post, but I'll play along. Yes, the defense is good. Maybe even "historical " in terms of Jags franchise history maybe. But league history? C'mon it's only been 4 games, and sorry, but this past Sunday's rush defense performance would make the 2006 Colts blush.

What about the 2006 Colts? Our run defense reminds me of the 2016 Broncos, who were 27th at one point and gave up over 200 yards against the Falcons.

If there is any league-wide historical statistic, it would be 10 sacks in one game, which I had never heard of before. I could believe that one, but nothing else.

10 sacks in a game is only 3rd best ever, iirc.
(10-03-2017, 02:42 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2017, 02:40 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]What about the 2006 Colts? Our run defense reminds me of the 2016 Broncos, who were 27th at one point and gave up over 200 yards against the Falcons.

10 sacks in a game is only 3rd best ever, IIRC.

Wow, who had more?
They haven't played a good QB yet.
(10-03-2017, 02:47 PM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]They haven't played a good QB yet.

Marcus Mariota and Joe Flacco are good QBs.
(10-03-2017, 02:45 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2017, 02:42 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]10 sacks in a game is only 3rd best ever, IIRC.

Wow, who had more?

12 sacks in a game
Dallas vs Pittsburgh (11/20/66)
St Louis vs Baltimore (10/26/80)
Chicago vs Detroit (12/16/84)
Dallas vs Houston (9/29/85)

11 sacks in a game
NY Giants vs St Louis (11/1/64)
Baltimore vs Los Angeles (11/22/64)
Buffalo vs Denver (12/13/64)
Detroit vs Green Bay (11/7/65)
Oakland vs Buffalo, Oct. 15, 1967
Oakland vs Denver (11/5/67)
St Louis vs Atlanta (11/24/68)
Dallas vs Detroit (10/6/75)
St Louis vs Philadelphia (12/18/83)
Kansas City vs Cleveland (9/30/84)
Chicago vs Minnesota (10/28/84)
Cleveland vs Atlanta (11/18/84)
Detroit vs Philadelphia (11/16/86)
San Diego vs Dallas (11/16/86)
Los Angeles Raiders vs Philadelphia (11/30/86) OT
Seattle vs Los Angeles Raiders (12/8/86)
Chicago vs Philadelphia (10/4/87)
Dallas vs NY Jets (10/4/87)
Indianapolis vs Cleveland (9/6/92)

Teams in bold were the sack leaders.
Thanks for the information.
(10-03-2017, 01:18 PM)Omahas #2 Jags Fan Wrote: [ -> ]For anyone that would debate that the 2017 Jaguars "Teal Curtain" defense is one of the best of all time, marinate on these numbers:

1. '17 Jags Total Defensive Yards Allowed: 1250 Yards/ '85 Bears Total Defensive Yards Allowed: 4135 Yards

2. '17 Jags Total Points Allowed: 74 Points/ '00 Ravens Total Defensive Points Allowed: 165 Points

Unless the calculator on my computer is broken, I would say that the Teal Curtain has held opponents to a fraction of points and yards as the "greatest" defenses of modern football.  Furthermore, I would contend that if you put the players from the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens up against today's modern offenses they would be embarrassed (granted some Bears players are in their sixties).  

We are watching greatness.  Go Jags!

#1's posts are better, but I still gave you a +1 for effort. You forgot to praise the cap management of Kelly Flannahan as the key to our success.
Too obvious.
Flanagan is a true asset to this organization.
I sure hope nobody breaks through our DL...

[Image: aura-sheer-elegant-voile-2-panel-grommet...-teal-blue]