Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Titans sign Brandon Weeden with Marcus Mariota injured
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tennessee needed a backup for Matt Cassel because Marcus Mariota is out several weeks. They chose a former Texans QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...see-titans
That's actually not a bad signing..he played well for us when he did have to play in a emergency situation.
(10-03-2017, 11:01 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Tennessee needed a backup for Matt Cassel because Marcus Mariota is out several weeks. They chose a former Texans QB.

Several weeks?
Everything I'm seeing is he's day to day.
One of only 2 teams in the league that fit Kaepernick's style and they sign Weeden instead. Too bad, I was hoping the circus would come to tittianville this week.
(10-04-2017, 07:25 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2017, 11:01 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Tennessee needed a backup for Matt Cassel because Marcus Mariota is out several weeks. They chose a former Texans QB.

Several weeks?

Hamstring injuries typically knock players out for a few weeks, sometimes a whole month. The "day to day" report does not mean Marcus Mariota has a good chance of playing in the Week 6 game.
(10-04-2017, 11:05 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2017, 07:25 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]Several weeks?

Hamstring injuries typically knock players out for a few weeks, sometimes a whole month. The "day to day" report does not mean Marcus Mariota has a good chance of playing in the Week 6 game.

SMH...and you get all pissy when others post opinions as fact or post something that may not be 100% true.  He's day to day.  Period.  It was a slight strain.

And Weeden sucks.
(10-04-2017, 11:05 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2017, 07:25 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]Several weeks?

Supposedly he has a shot at playing this week.  Not sure I'd bet on it, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Speculation is he could've kept playing last Sunday but it was a blowout at that point so wasn't worth the risk.  Mariota is decent from the pocket.  If the injury isn't too bad they certainly could opt to play him and just gameplan to keep him in the pocket as much as possible.  

I guess this staff just needs to decide how much they wanna gamble.  We should be able to compete with a bad Dolphins team without him.  But on the flip side Cassel looked really, really, really bad on Sunday.  And this is a game we need.  MIA, IND, CLE the next three weeks.  It doesn't really get any better than that schedule-wise.  Going 3-0 before the bye would put us in great position. 

If it were up to me I'd play him if he is able.

(10-04-2017, 08:06 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]One of only 2 teams in the league that fit Kaepernick's style and they sign Weeden instead. Too bad, I was hoping the circus would come to tittianville this week.
I can't see any team, partiularly in the south, signing Kaep.  While he's no doubt better than Weeden, he's not good enough to warrant the fan backlash imo.   If Mariota were to go down for an extended period we're screwed anyway.
(10-04-2017, 12:41 PM)SDM Wrote: [ -> ]Supposedly he has a shot at playing this week.  Not sure I'd bet on it, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Speculation is he could've kept playing last Sunday but it was a blowout at that point so wasn't worth the risk.  Mariota is decent from the pocket.  If the injury isn't too bad they certainly could opt to play him and just gameplan to keep him in the pocket as much as possible.  

I guess this staff just needs to decide how much they wanna gamble.  We should be able to compete with a bad Dolphins team without him.  But on the flip side Cassel looked really, really, really bad on Sunday.  And this is a game we need.  MIA, IND, CLE the next three weeks.  It doesn't really get any better than that schedule-wise.  Going 3-0 before the bye would put us in great position. 

If it were up to me I'd play him if he is able.

It would have been stupid to keep him in the game if the score was already out of reach. At that point QBs are often benched anyway (see Joe Flacco in Week 3). I will be surprised, but not shocked, if Marcus Mariota plays in Week 6. If he takes even one day off practice, I would not want him to play Sunday. Based on Tennessee's next three opponents, there is no reason to risk aggravation of the injury if he is not healthy enough to practice all week.
The fact that they moved to sign Weeden lets you know that this is definitely a week to week injury and he isn't playing this week for sure.
(10-05-2017, 04:08 AM)jradMITEX Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that they moved to sign Weeden lets you know that this is definitely a week to week injury and he isn't playing this week for sure.

Well he's practicing....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-practice/

Far cry from several weeks out.
(10-05-2017, 09:29 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2017, 04:08 AM)jradMITEX Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that they moved to sign Weeden lets you know that this is definitely a week to week injury and he isn't playing this week for sure.

Well he's practicing....

Limited practices often begin a couple weeks before the player is ready to put on pads.
(10-05-2017, 11:27 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2017, 09:29 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]Well he's practicing....

Limited practices often begin a couple weeks before the player is ready to put on pads.

You better go tell the coach that............

"Mularkey said again on Wednesday there’s a chance Mariota’s availability for Sunday’s game against the Miami Dolphins won’t be known until game day"
(10-05-2017, 11:34 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]You better go tell the coach that............

"Mularkey said again on Wednesday there’s a chance Mariota’s availability for Sunday’s game against the Miami Dolphins won’t be known until game day"

It would be better for both the team and QB to hold him out Sunday because aggravating the injury could cause problems down the road. I hope he sits.
(10-05-2017, 09:29 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]

Well he's practicing....

Far cry from several weeks out
Never said several weeks, but that he is week to week, he's not suiting up this week, that is why they signed Weeden.  If there was a real chance he could play, they wouldn't have signed Weeden and could have let Marriota be the back up, the fact that they wouldn't go that route lets you know he can't play this week for sure.
(10-05-2017, 12:23 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: [ -> ]Never said several weeks, but that he is week to week, he's not suiting up this week, that is why they signed Weeden. If there was a real chance he could play, they wouldn't have signed Weeden and could have let Marriota be the backup, the fact that they wouldn't go that route lets you know he can't play this week for sure.

Exactly. You don't go out to sign a backup QB who needs to learn a whole new offense without being sure your starter will miss some time. "Week to week" can mean several weeks.
(10-05-2017, 11:47 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2017, 11:34 AM)ArtieZiff Wrote: [ -> ]You better go tell the coach that............

It would be better for both the team and QB to hold him out Sunday because aggravating the injury could cause problems down the road. I hope he sits.

Thanks, Doctor.