Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Don't stop the run only to give up passes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
yes jags defense needs to work on stopping the run better. the problom is last time jags needed to fix something on defense,the the other team destroyed them with the oppsiote. it was a couple years agao,teams couldn't run on jags so passed the ball. Jags worked on stopping the pass one week,and the next week the oppeneent ran all over jags. i don't rember which game.  watch out for ben to have a big game againest us this week due to too much concentration on stopping the run.
I would normally agree with this thinking but I’ll say stopping the run is much more easier to fix than stopping the pass. If they focus on gap assignments and make the tackles like they did week 1 and 3 this will be a non issue moving forward.

Stopping the pass on the other hand required a quality pass rush as well as a solid secondary; two things this team has been lacking prior to 2016.
Need to replace those 2 lightweight, fast LBs with run thumpers, run defense will improve.
(10-05-2017, 03:58 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I would normally agree with this thinking but I’ll say stopping the run is much more easier to fix than stopping the pass. If they focus on gap assignments and make the tackles like they did week 1 and 3 this will be a non issue moving forward.

Stopping the pass on the other hand required a quality pass rush as well as a solid secondary; two things this team has been lacking prior to 2016.

So you think we don't need a much better run defense? Good luck proving Jets RBs would have run all over the Broncos.
(10-05-2017, 05:09 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2017, 03:58 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I would normally agree with this thinking but I’ll say stopping the run is much more easier to fix than stopping the pass. If they focus on gap assignments and make the tackles like they did week 1 and 3 this will be a non issue moving forward.

So you think we don't need a much better run defense? Good luck proving Jets RBs would have run all over the Broncos.

Rating number -79 for being a troll broncos fan
(10-05-2017, 04:14 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Need to replace those 2 lightweight, fast LBs with run thumpers, run defense will improve.

Definitely need a Ray Lewis type in the middle
I don't see how the two (stopping the run and stopping the pass) are mutually exclusive, given our personnel.

One could argue that a bigger run stuffing DT might be appropriate in the next offseason, but I think the defense as currently stocked is more than capable of competency against the run and excelling against the pass.

There is a part of me that thinks once the team registered ten sacks against Houston in week one, the team got sack hungry. If so, hopefully this last game will calibrate them into being more mindful of run defense.
Pick your poison this week. Load up to stop Bell and watch Brown burn us overtop and underneath.

IDK....
If our pass rush can get home and our offense doesn't screw the pooch... we'll be in it...
Gotta stop Bell first though. Big Ben isn't playing his best, so unbelievably, we have to play "Make Ben beat us"
(10-06-2017, 10:15 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Pick your poison this week. Load up to stop Bell and watch Brown burn us overtop and underneath.

IDK....
If our pass rush can get home and our offense doesn't screw the pooch... we'll be in it...
Gotta stop Bell first though. Big Ben isn't playing his best, so unbelievably, we have to play "Make Ben beat us"
You drafted Ramsey and signed Bouye for games like this.

Jags gotta stop Bell and hope Ramsey/Bouye can guard Bell and Bryant 1 on 1.
(10-06-2017, 10:17 AM)Frailbones Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2017, 10:15 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Pick your poison this week. Load up to stop Bell and watch Brown burn us overtop and underneath.

IDK....
You drafted Ramsey and signed Bouye for games like this.

Jags gotta stop Bell and hope Ramsey/Bouye can guard Bell and Bryant 1 on 1.

Agreed.
Gotta sell out to stop Bell who is slowly gaining momentum thru each start.
Just gotta sweep the corners man
We can't "load up" to do anything, we will simply match what they do. The Steelers play 11 personnel almost always, and we will counter that with nickel. Or is someone suggesting we load up the box and leave Juju completely uncovered wide open in the slot?

(I know I harp on people saying we should simply load up or other defenses simply load up the box against us a lot, but it's really hard to fathom why people don't get that defensive formations are simply math)
(10-06-2017, 05:59 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2017, 05:09 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]So you think we don't need a much better run defense? Good luck proving Jets RBs would have run all over the Broncos.

Rating number -79 for being a troll Broncos fan

My post had nothing to do with being a Broncos fan FYI.