Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Another Home Loss: Post Mortem Observations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So let’s count em down shall we? 

- Special teams gives up a KO return, a blocked punt and a shanked 16 yard punt at HOME 

- Bortles continues to amaze me with his ineptitude: his field goal range INT was the final knife in the back. Then again this isn’t news. 

- WHY. IS. MEYERS. STILL ON THIS TEAM. I can only conclude the coaches are one: content with mediocrity. Or two: he has blackmail material on Marrone 

- Our run defense. As much as Del Rio had a knack for losing games he should like todays, he almost never had a game where opponents ran all over us. 

- This team is not making the playoffs. Forget the weakest schedule remaining crap. There are no more should win games for us. We proved that against the jets and today. 

This leads me to the inevitable conclusion that Caldwell has to go next year. He is responsible for Bortles, Myers, and digging his heels in on the quarterback situation.
The Good news is the team doesn't appear set to ruin their shot at drafting a QB. This team could still easily lose ten games with that run defense.
Myers isn't great and I get nervous for every kick, but go look at the kickers available. we could do a lot worse
This whole loss is on the special teams. Played good enough in the other 2 phases to win. Myers will definitely be cut.
(10-15-2017, 07:08 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: [ -> ]Myers isn't great and I get nervous for every kick, but go look at the kickers available. we could do a lot bit 

Every soccer player in the US is available. Quit with this BS.
The problem was Meyers was asked to kick two 54+ yarders, not easy kicks for the great kickers.
We were better than the Rams in 2 of 3 phases today. We put our passing game in a bind with the horrific special teams play today. Can't make a field goal, blocked punt TD, kickoff return TD, shanked punt FG. Just like our last loss we are a much better team than that. If we can win at Indy next week we go into the bye week with sole possession of first place again...
No wonder we gave up a home game to London, we are historically "better" on the road.
I think going for the long field goal on second down at the end was the coaching staffs way of giving Myers his final chance. Here is the rope to hang yourself with.
(10-15-2017, 07:14 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: [ -> ]The problem was Meyers was asked to kick two 54+ yarders, not easy kicks for the great kickers.

Tell that to the Rams kicker. Finding a stable kicker is not rocket science.
We have a defense and really only a pass defense. It is baffling that we give up so much on the ground. Oh yeah we have a good Online and the RBs are working their buts off. Punter caught the Special Teams Blues today as well.

This team is going nowhere but to empty stadiums.

Bortles is in his 4th year and he can't hit a man in stride? seriously. I guess 3 years of Gus screwed it up really bad and ruined what was already a suspect player. This team can't overcome 10 measly points? Seriously! We put up with a kicker that shanks field goals because he supposedly has a strong leg and he'll overcome it and then he misses constantly?

#becausejaguars
(10-15-2017, 07:14 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: [ -> ]The problem was Meyers was asked to kick two 54+ yarders, not easy kicks for the great kickers.

The problem is he is a good long kicker than a short kicker
(10-15-2017, 07:17 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]

Tell that to the Rams kicker. Finding a stable kicker is not rocket science.

This is the supposed reason we put up with him for missing the extra points.  Guy has a strong leg, can kick the long field goals.... blah blah blah blah ...  more loses.
We have an interesting team.

They really seem to buy into momentum.

We seem to be built to get out in front early and never let off the gas but when we fall behind we don't have the tools to get back in it. A. Rob is missed. Westbrook might be the answer but he is unproven and may pull a Cole on us. On O it feels like QB and a good pass catching TE are needed.

Does anyone else wonder why they seem to only target Hurns 3-4 times a game? Maybe on the all 22 he is covered up but it seems like they keep forcing it to Lee in critical situations and it is getting dropped.
It's easy to say we lost because of Bortles but we lost for for many reasons....special team play was bad,  offensive line could not protect or block,  defensive line is not that good against the run, LB's forget about protecting the gaps, receivers could not separate, and receivers dropped balls.  It was a team loss.
Probably the worst day I have ever seen a punter have in a Jags uniform.  2 Shanks and 1 blocked for a td.  We might need 2 kickers
Man, I thought ST was gonna be better this year. How do we lose to a team that traveled coast to coast, and yet we look like the ones who traveled cross country?
Nortman was bad, but he's been good other than today. I am okay with an occasional bad outing. It was the special teams as a whole that cost us the game. The offense outplayed their offense. The defense outplayed their defense.

We do need a huge infusion of talent to our offense. We are very weak at oline, wr, and te.
The scary part is that, depending how tomorrow's game goes, we could be in last place if we lose to Indy next week.
Post Mortem?

Banana
Pages: 1 2 3