Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I Hate that the Jags are Now Playing the Blame Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I now see what the Jags are resorting to and it's sickening. 

After a tough but fluky loss to LA, The Jags front office has now began playing "the blame game and" are clearly trying to send a message that no one's job is safe. . How else could you explain cutting our leading scorer, the third leading scorer in ALL of the NFL, and fan favorite kicker Jason Myers. Is It Myers fault that we couldn't cover the opening kick off and they ran it all the way back? Is Myers expected to kickoff  and tackle on the VERY same play? Is it Myers fault that we got a punt blocked that led to a Rams TD? Is it Myers fault that he missed several key field goals on Sunday - only to the small minded fan. It is obvious to everyone who actually pays attention that holder Brad Nortman should stick to punting full time - there is no way Myers had any chance to covert with holds that can only draw parallels to Lucy holding for Charlie Brown back in the Charles M. Schulz Era. This loss does not fall on Myers, and do not let Jags management deflect from the main and only logical culprit for our loss vs. the Rams - assistant special teams coordinator Mike Mallory. It is Mike Mallory's job to put his boss, Special Teams Coordinator Joe Decamillis in the best possible possible position to be successful, and this is in fact why we lost on Sunday - because of MM's failure to do his job. 

The other thing to point out, which I must do although I hate to, is that J.K. LaCoste, who is the Football Logistics and Team Travel Associate, must also be replaced. Immediately. Our travel schedule has been a nightmare and a huge point of contention. We needed to fly directly to New York after London and just stay there for the week, as it was imperative to me we get our teams bodies and minds used to and familiar with the time zone and altitude of  NYC. Instead, we lose in NYC - this can't be the fault of the team or the players or Myers for that matter.  Furthermore, in my opinion, after the Jags soundly defeated The Steelers last week, J.K. could have stepped up and rewarded the Jags for their great performance. He could have surprised the team by setting up their flight to return on Tuesday, and allowing the guys a full day of fun in Pittsburgh on Monday to see the city. While some may call this far fetched, I feel it would have been a great team bonding experience and a reward for a group of millennials who would have truly appreciated this gesture. 

Finally, another "clever" move by Goodell to screw the Jags once again this past Sunday. Had the Rams been forced to play at our normal 1:00 PM start on Sunday, instead of playing at 4:05, the normal 1:00 start time would have been equivalent to 10am there time. Because we were forced to play at a highly unusual start time, a time in which our players are normally use to concluding a game than starting a game, the Rams gained a significant advantage. 

Lastly, the only other good news to come out of this week is that the Jacksonville Jaguars remain in first place  in the win column in the Ponce De Leon Cup standings. The Ponce De Leon Cup is awarded to the NFL team in Florida that finishes the regular season with the best record. The Ponce De Leon Cup is named after the Spanish Conquistador Juan Ponce De Leon who led the first European expedition to Le Florida, now named Florida, in 1513. 

Jacksonville 3-3
Miami 3-2
Tampa Bay 2-3
Tie Breaker: Total Games Played
No, all of the above are not on Jason Myers.. this past weekend is not the first time he's been poor.

A lot of the players will have families, are you suggesting that through the NFL season they go for long periods without seeing them? (I.e, flying to NY from London and being there all week prior to playing the game on the Sunday). I think this would dent morale even more. Sure, the families can travel and be with their partners too, but what about their respective careers/schooling, etc?

Isn't camp good for team bonding? I think they're a pretty close knit group anyway, for the most part..

Do we really think that that playing at 1pm would have benefited us over the Rams?

I'm not saying that my points are more valid than yours, I'm just struggling with believing the points you've made as valid contributions to those losses.
(10-17-2017, 05:51 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]No, all of the above are not on Jason Myers.. this past weekend is not the first time he's been poor.

A lot of the players will have families, are you suggesting that through the NFL season they go for long periods without seeing them? (I.e, flying to NY from London and being there all week prior to playing the game on the Sunday). I think this would dent morale even more. Sure, the families can travel and be with their partners too, but what about their respective careers/schooling, etc?

Isn't camp good for team bonding? I think they're a pretty close knit group anyway, for the most part..

Do we really think that that playing at 1pm would have benefited us over the Rams?

I'm not saying that my points are more valid than yours, I'm just struggling with believing the points you've made as valid contributions to those losses.

We will have to agree to disagree on Jason Myers. For a team struggling to score, we will miss his 8 points per game. 

The NFL season is not the time to focus on family bonding. It needs to be about the team and if that means going straight to NYC from London to ensure a win, then so be it.

Yes I think playing at 1:00 pm would have helped us over the Rams. I think the start was net 28 -31 points for the rams.

I think good spirited debates are good for the soul. While I do think my points are more valid than yours, I do respect your opinion.
First of all, everyone who was paying attention knows Jason Myers has missed a lot of easy kicks during his two years in Jacksonville. Most of them were his fault. It includes both FG and PAT attempts. Also, I have no idea why you think a lot of fans like him. Many fans wanted Dave Caldwell to cut him last year in the preseason. Consider it "the final straw" as the culmination of failures, not a knee-jerk reaction.

Second, nobody cares how high he ranks in points scored among NFL players. What matters is what he does now, and that is not a high-scoring, NFL-level stat sheet.
(10-17-2017, 05:56 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 05:51 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]No, all of the above are not on Jason Myers.. this past weekend is not the first time he's been poor.

My last point on Myers, I haven't seen many fans lauding him or too disappointed with him being cut.. but yeah we are likely to have differing opinions on him which is cool with me so best draw a line under that discussion between you and I (I don't think we'll get anywhere with that one).

We will have to agree to disagree on Jason Myers. For a team struggling to score, we will miss his 8 points per game. 

The NFL season is not the time to focus on family bonding. It needs to be about the team and if that means going straight to NYC from London to ensure a win, then so be it.

Yes I think playing at 1:00 pm would have helped us over the Rams. I think the start was net 28 -31 points for the rams.

I think good spirited debates are good for the soul. While I do think my points are more valid than yours, I do respect your opinion.

As I do for yours..

I wasn't trying to suggest the NFL season is time for family bonding, but having long periods without seeing your family would, I believe, have more of an adverse effect than going home and flying to NYC later in the week.

Sure, I'm not a professional athlete, but I know in my mind, I'd need to see my family to keep me happy. We have things like FaceTime and Skype etc, but it's just not the same. Not to me anyway.

I'm also not suggesting that the 1pm KO would not have aided us, that was a genuine question. I know the difference wouldn't change much with sports teams over here, but then Soccer isn't as physical (obviously) as Football and actually, we don't have the heat to contend with. For instance a 1pm or 4pm kick off over here in October would probably be around 15C and drizzly.. so there's that.. haha..
(10-17-2017, 06:10 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 05:56 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]We will have to agree to disagree on Jason Myers. For a team struggling to score, we will miss his 8 points per game. 

As I do for yours..

I wasn't trying to suggest the NFL season is time for family bonding, but having long periods without seeing your family would, I believe, have more of an adverse effect than going home and flying to NYC later in the week.

Sure, I'm not a professional athlete, but I know in my mind, I'd need to see my family to keep me happy. We have things like FaceTime and Skype etc, but it's just not the same. Not to me anyway.

I'm also not suggesting that the 1pm KO would not have aided us, that was a genuine question. I know the difference wouldn't change much with sports teams over here, but then Soccer isn't as physical (obviously) as Football and actually, we don't have the heat to contend with. For instance a 1pm or 4pm kick off over here in October would probably be around 15C and drizzly.. so there's that.. haha..
We are talking 14 days, not 14 years. I would ban FaceTime and Skype as well during this time period. This is a great time to focus on one's team, and less on one's family. After all, if one has a great two weeks as a player, he could be rewarded with a bigger contract that would in turn help his family. So by player essentially focusing on only his team over this 14 day period, he would essentially be helping his family. Also, absence makes the heart grow fonder, so perhaps it would even help from a family bonding perspective. Now I also know, that absence also makes the heart forget so I would not recommend this practice for the duration of the season, just a few road trips here and there.
(10-17-2017, 06:10 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]As I do for yours..

The 1:00 vs. 4:00 kickoff time is a concern for West Coast teams because they are three time zones away. I read an article years ago on NFL.com about the tendency of teams in the Pacific Time Zone (including Arizona) having better records the later the game is (4:00 better than 1:00, etc.) in the Eastern Time Zone, so there clearly is a direct effect. However, it takes more than playing at 1:00 to have a home field advantage. We also need more fans in the stadium.
Whoosh!
(10-17-2017, 06:26 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Whoosh!

Who are you whooshing?
(10-17-2017, 06:24 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 06:10 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]As I do for yours..

We are talking 14 days, not 14 years. I would ban FaceTime and Skype as well during this time period. This is a great time to focus on one's team, and less on one's family. After all, if one has a great two weeks as a player, he could be rewarded with a bigger contract that would in turn help his family. So by player essentially focusing on only his team over this 14 day period, he would essentially be helping his family. Also, absence makes the heart grow fonder, so perhaps it would even help from a family bonding perspective. Now I also know, that absence also makes the heart forget so I would not recommend this practice for the duration of the season, just a few road trips here and there.

I totally understand what you're suggesting.. I really do. I'm just not 100% sure it would work.

There are players who it would benefit, and some who it would not and I think it's important to get that balance right for the mentality of the player so they can perform their duties.

So out of interest, if you're banning FaceTime and Skype, are you suggesting no contact with family? If not then surely in their downtime they'd be allowed to make contact and speak with them? I find your views really interesting on this subject, I really do!
(10-17-2017, 06:26 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 06:26 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Whoosh!

Who are you whooshing?

I'm pointing out that Omaha's original post is sarcasm.  I know you have trouble detecting sarcasm, so the whoosh is mainly for Darlo.
Even players who do use Skype and/or Facetime miss actually being with their wives and kids, or for some of them girlfriends. I am sure a lot of players have pets. There is nothing - I repeat, nothing - like actually being with your loved ones.
(10-17-2017, 06:37 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 06:26 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Who are you whooshing?

I'm pointing out that Omaha's original post is sarcasm.  I know you have trouble detecting sarcasm, so the whoosh is mainly for Darlo.

I resent this Mr. Malabar Jag. There is nothing sarcastic about my post. I am absolutely 1000% serious. That's the issue with this board - way toooooooo many people unwilling to think outside the box. You know Bucko, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over and over again and expecting the same result. I think that at this point, after many plus years of frustration because we fired Del Rio, we need to consider all options.

(10-17-2017, 06:38 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Even players who do use Skype and/or Facetime miss actually being with their wives and kids, or for some of them girlfriends. I am sure a lot of players have pets. There is nothing - I repeat, nothing - like actually being with your loved ones.

And I don't care about pets, or loved ones or wives or girlfriends or their wives and their girlfriends. There is also nothing like winning football games and maybe instead of skypeinp or myspacing that these players should spend extra time reading the playbook or practicing more. They can do all of the aforementioned during the off season, which will come a lot sooner than all of us would like if we don't put the team first!!!
(10-17-2017, 06:40 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 06:37 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pointing out that Omaha's original post is sarcasm.  I know you have trouble detecting sarcasm, so the whoosh is mainly for Darlo.

I resent this Mr. Malabar Jag. There is nothing sarcastic about my post. I am absolutely 1000% serious. That's the issue with this board - way too many people unwilling to think outside the box. You know Bucko, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over and over again and expecting the same result. I think that at this point, after many plus years of frustration because we fired Del Rio, we need to consider all options.

One problem with this board is many people love sarcasm and don't care about the fact that some of them (not just myself) have a hard time with it. They just do it anyway.

The definition of insanity goes way beyond repeating the same thing over and over.
Whether it's sarcasm or not, I still stand by my points..
No blame game. Myers just stinks.
I think the comments about pets is the real key. I know I miss my dogs when I have to travel, so the Jags should consider bringing pets with them to away games. Obviously, the Jags are suffering from separation anxiety and especially Jason Myers who has several dogs and cats that he's adopted from the animal shelter. This probably distracted him and everyone knows kicking a field goal requires intense concentration.
(10-17-2017, 07:25 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think the comments about pets is the real key.  I know I miss my dogs when I have to travel, so the Jags should consider bringing pets with them to away games.  Obviously, the Jags are suffering from separation anxiety and especially Jason Myers who has several dogs and cats that he's adopted from the animal shelter.  This probably distracted him and everyone knows kicking a field goal requires intense concentration.

Really, how do you know Jason Myers has cats and dogs?

I always wonder if Aaron Rodgers was with his own dog for his latest State Farm commercial or a random canine.
(10-17-2017, 07:27 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 07:25 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think the comments about pets is the real key.  I know I miss my dogs when I have to travel, so the Jags should consider bringing pets with them to away games.  Obviously, the Jags are suffering from separation anxiety and especially Jason Myers who has several dogs and cats that he's adopted from the animal shelter.  This probably distracted him and everyone knows kicking a field goal requires intense concentration.

Really, how do you know Jason Myers has cats and dogs?

I always wonder if Aaron Rodgers was with his own dog for his latest State Farm commercial or a random canine.

It’s well documented that Myers has 10 cats and 3 dogs.   That was Rodgers dog in the commercial.  His name is Packey.
(10-17-2017, 09:30 PM)tkappa511 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017, 07:27 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Really, how do you know Jason Myers has cats and dogs?

It’s well documented that Myers has 10 cats and 3 dogs. That was Rodgers' dog in the commercial. His name is Packey.

I get it, for Packers.
Pages: 1 2 3