Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake Bortles 5th Year Option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Figured I'd start a discussion on this since we could hear something as early as tomorrow with the May 3rd deadline gadfly approaching. If picked up, we'd be guaranteeing against injury an amount of $19.053 Million. I won't be surprised if we pick it up. I think it may instill some confidence in Blake knowing that the organization believes he can bounce back. It already appears they believe this with every move this offseason. We shall see.
Quote:Figured I'd start a discussion on this since we could hear something as early as tomorrow with the May 3rd deadline gadfly approaching. If picked up, we'd be guaranteeing against injury an amount of $19.053 Million. I won't be surprised if we pick it up. I think it may instill some confidence in Blake knowing that the organization believes he can bounce back. It already appears they believe this with every move this offseason. We shall see.
I thought it was too late already but maybe not...The other thing is even if they don't pick up the 5th year option, they can still resign him to a new contract I do believe
Seeing as the Jags have not brought in any quarterback competition this offseason, I would be shocked if the front office didn't exercise Blake's 5th year option. I believe in Bortles, but I am surprised that no one was brought in.
Quote:Seeing as the Jags have not brought in any quarterback competition this offseason, I would be shocked if the front office didn't exercise Blake's 5th year option. I believe in Bortles, but I am surprised that no one was brought in.

Shocked nobody was brought in.
Didn't someone break it down a while back where there was really no incentive to pick up his 5th year option? Something about the negligible difference between a 5th year option and the franchise amount for a QB.

That way, we aren't locked and can still keep him if he balls out this year.
I seriously doubt they pick up his 5th Year option. They're prepared to move on from Blake after the season if he doesn't improve, and by not picking up his option it allows for a clean break. If he plays lights out, they can always franchise him while they work out a reasonable deal next year.
Quote:Didn't someone break it down a while back where there was really no incentive to pick up his 5th year option? Something about the negligible difference between a 5th year option and the franchise amount for a QB.

Correct
Quote:Didn't someone break it down a while back where there was really no incentive to pick up his 5th year option? Something about the negligible difference between a 5th year option and the franchise amount for a QB.

The difference is that if we don't pick up the fifth year option and signing a contract stalls, we would be limiting ourselves to only two years of franchise tags before he is free.

If we pick up his fifth year option and the same scenario plays out, we'd have him from for three years before he'd hit free agency.

Obviously​ this is all hypothetical.
Quote:Figured I'd start a discussion on this since we could hear something as early as tomorrow with the May 3rd deadline gadfly approaching. If picked up, we'd be guaranteeing against injury an amount of $19.053 Million. I won't be surprised if we pick it up. I think it may instill some confidence in Blake knowing that the organization believes he can bounce back. It already appears they believe this with every move this offseason. We shall see.
I would definately pick it up. Much cheaper than franchise, and leaves the tag available for someone else if we need it. Plus its only guarenteed for injury, so we can just cut if Blake doesn't have what it takes.

you have Linder, Robinson, Telvin, and Lee all running out at the same time.  I think that it would make sense to pick up the option so that in the event things go the way we want them to this season we would have more flexibility in keeping one of the other players from that Draft class should it come to it.  Case and point, there if Allen Robinson has the same year that he had in 2015 then he is going to want to get PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID.  It's not a stretch, we know he has the size and ball skills.  Look at the money that interior lineman got last year and think about Linder playing the pivot. 
I work under assumption if they were going to pick it up, they would have done so by now. 

They would have done it by now if they were going to and it's not "much cheaper" than the franchise tag. If the $19 mil figure in the OP is accurate, it would be about $3 mil cheaper than the franchise tag which would be about $22 mil. By not exercising it and reserving the use of the franchise tag if need be instead, you can just treat the $3 mil difference as a premium for not having to worry about him getting injured and owing a QB you have no interest in $19 million the following year. And rest assured if Blake has a season ending injury this year, he's pretty much done here just the same as if he doesn't fix his decision making and clean up his release. That's $3 million well spent if they feel compelled to franchise him versus a potential waste of $19 mil with the option.

The only drawback is the number of quality players we have hitting free agency next year and trying to keep them all here. The whole idea of considering the 5th year option as a means to keep Blake here 3 more years with successive franchise tags is getting way ahead of ourselves though. You'd worry about something like that with a QB coming off a good year, not the year Blake had.

Interesting, but just how negligible?

The 5th year option would guarantee $19 mil. A franchise tag for a QB in 2018 will be around $23 mil.

So, is $4 mil considered negligible?

Quote:They would have done it by now if they were going to and it's not "much cheaper" than the franchise tag. If the $19 mil figure in the OP is accurate, it would be about $3 mil cheaper than the franchise tag which would be about $22 mil. By not exercising it and reserving the use of the franchise tag if need be instead, you can just treat the $3 mil difference as a premium for not having to worry about him getting injured and owing a QB you have no interest in $19 million the following year. And rest assured if Blake has a season ending injury this year, he's pretty much done here just the same as if he doesn't fix his decision making and clean up his release. That's $3 million well spent if they feel compelled to franchise him versus a potential waste of $19 mil with the option.

The only drawback is the number of quality players we have hitting free agency next year and trying to keep them all here. The whole idea of considering the 5th year option as a means to keep Blake here 3 more years with successive franchise tags is getting way ahead of ourselves though. You'd worry about something like that with a QB coming off a good year, not the year Blake had.

I posted before reading this, but I stand by my $23 mil estimate. It figure it's at least going to be $23 mil and possibly more.

Quote:I posted before reading this, but I stand by my $23 mil estimate. It figure it's at least going to be $23 mil and possibly more.
Agree, plus it wastes the opportunity to use it on someone else. I expect the 5th year to be picked up. People act like its easy to get a franchise QB. Glennon just got 18.5 million. Your telling me Bortles has done less than Glennon? Stupid. Even Brock Osweiler got 17 million. 18 to 19 Million for Bortles 5th year is a bargain. He isn't signing for backup money, and even fringe starters get that much at his age.

Let me put it another way. If Bortles was a FA today he would be the best one on the market. Even with last years 23:16 ratio. Do you think for a second that the Texans wouldn't give him 20 million right now to steal him from us? I am sure they would. Either way, we should be saving the franchise tag in case we need it for Lee, Robinson, or Telvin. I could see it becoming very necessary for a guy like Robinson.

Coughlin doesn't mess around. If he doesn't pick up the 5th year, then I don't expect Bortles on this team after next year. I know thats what some people want, but they are ignoring the QB purgatory we went thru for years. HoF level QBs don't happen that often and they aren't available in every draft. Getting a better player than Blake will be harder than people think.

I'd give him the option.
The option makes sense to me.

no way.  The reason being.  Who would you like to lose?  You don't give a qb who has regressed 18 million dollars. 

Quote:no way.  The reason being.  Who would you like to lose?  You don't give a qb who has regressed 18 million dollars.

Do your research before you make statements like that because he only get the money in case of an injury and he's been pretty durable so far his career.
They will pay it IMO. Also IMO it is the correct thing to do. No harm, no foul. They could still cut him.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9